The Sail & Anchor Iron Brew Amateur Brewing Competition 2011

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I might be talking out of my arse, which I have been known to do, but that kind of makes sense when I think in retrospect how yours tasted Brendanos. Did you add it pre or post boil?

If that isn't a joke, to actually blend that in would be a bit low. Kind of like making your own sour beers by adding Cantillon to your brew.

Huh ? :huh:

What's wrong with that ?
Plenty of people that make sour beers by blending orval dregs in.

Do you really think anyone could have achieved the requisite "aged" character in a beer with 12-14 weeks (most had much less) of ageing?

I might be talking out of my arse, which I have been known to do, but that kind of makes sense when I think in retrospect how yours tasted Brendanos. Did you add it pre or post boil?

Added to secondary (approx 1% of total volume)

For the record I quizzed judges immediately afterwards how they felt about me adding sherry & none of them objected, quite the contrary...

Plenty of people that make sour beers by blending orval dregs in.

Sure, but that is for the brett in the dregs, not a quantity of Orval itself.

Do you really think anyone could have achieved the requisite "aged" character in a beer with 12-14 weeks (most had much less) of ageing?

Probably not, but the challenge remains, everyone has the same problem. Personally I wouldn't think to put in anything I hadn't fermented myself. I guess it works, it just seems to me the easy way out.

Personally I wouldn't think to put in anything I hadn't fermented myself. I guess it works, it just seems to me the easy way out.

And in some regards I agree - I would rather add one of my own brews, but in this instance I was imagining the end goal (the big commercial batch), & was picturing ageing some of the beer in Talijancich barrels in the Swan Valley. How would you have felt about sherry soaked oak chips?

Ooo... Sherry soaked oak chips, now that'd be interesting.

Any chance that it's actually going to be aged though ?

I was chatting to a dude at work who worked at the sail in the mid 80's, even back then this beer spent a decent chuck of time before being put on tap. If you brewed it on the day the comp was announced you might have had a chance for it to age on it's own.
I'll be entering my bottles in comps for the next year at least.

Probably not, but the challenge remains, everyone has the same problem. Personally I wouldn't think to put in anything I hadn't fermented myself. I guess it works, it just seems to me the easy way out.
Sure, but say you want to make a bourbon porter, as people do. Do you start by buying land in Kentucky?

It's probably cheap enough that you could :icon_cheers:

How would you have felt about sherry soaked oak chips?

Obviously there will be a grey area at some point, but the objection I have is the emulation. Sure if you're aging something in a barrel you're creating something new. Just adding the sherry seems to me like just getting the box ticked.
I think it would be a shame to see in the future something genuinely aged get judged unfavourably if the aged character isn't as immediately impressive as another emulated example. Then again it might be obvious to those judging, I have no idea.

Obviously there will be a grey area at some point, but the objection I have is the emulation. Sure if you're aging something in a barrel you're creating something new. Just adding the sherry seems to me like just getting the box ticked.
I think it would be a shame to see in the future something genuinely aged get judged unfavourably if the aged character isn't as immediately impressive as another emulated example. Then again it might be obvious to those judging, I have no idea.
Like Cherry beers made with man made syrup. Not exactly brewed/fermented more enhanced with product. Personally its not my idea of a true 100% brewed beer either. But each to their own. Can of worms I think.
My2C
GB

I also used the supplied ingredients list. Still waiting to hear anything about it.

call Matt mate, he gave me some good feedback and if you made it to the final table there are tasting notes

so who is in on the pale ale comp? this time note the name change to homebrew rather than amateur. Even pros are allowed in if you brew from home, don't know how you can control that but it should solve a few brewers probs.

call Matt mate, he gave me some good feedback and if you made it to the final table there are tasting notes

so who is in on the pale ale comp? this time note the name change to homebrew rather than amateur. Even pros are allowed in if you brew from home, don't know how you can control that but it should solve a few brewers probs.

So those who didn't make the final table get no tasting notes?

Without any feedback, I see less reason to enter again. Sure the prize is nice, but that's only part of the reason I enter comps. And if I can't find out what I did good or bad, I'll sit this one out.

So those who didn't make the final table get no tasting notes?

Without any feedback, I see less reason to enter again. Sure the prize is nice, but that's only part of the reason I enter comps. And if I can't find out what I did good or bad, I'll sit this one out.
I'm not saying that, my batch made it so I was told I have em waiting for me but I ONLY know because I called and asked. When I talked to Matt he was really informative. Mate you have to enter, this thing needs to become a tradition, how much fun is it having our attempted clones rated by judges! Iron chef all grain style.

the question right now is what is the best yeast? wyeast or proculture hmmm :icon_cheers:

man i love yeast

Any news if this is open yet? Last I heard the brew log wasn't finalised

Any news if this is open yet? Last I heard the brew log wasn't finalised

latest was having trouble getting all organisers together to finalise the log, I was told call back next week but I'll try today and post if it's available. The guide is pretty specific though, worth having a good stab at.

Latest posts

Back