State Of Origin

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait till they increase it to 90mins so they can have stoppages for the scrums so channel 9 can run ads. They are about to do it for the NRL.

Rugby league scrum is a a disgrace, it's not a scrum in any sense of the word. They would be better off removing it from the game.

**** it's turning into a sloppy game
What do you mean turning. It's been a sloppy game for as long as I can remember. I gave up on league over 10 years ago. I don't want to turn this into a League v. Union debate, but I find that Union offers more than just fleeting flashes of brilliance. Sevens are even better! Fast open games are very entertaining. It's a pity they don't televise the sevens.

I remember a great sevens game between Japan and Samoa at Ballymore.... Those Cherryblossoms put their bodies on the line against the Samoans! Sure, Samoa whalloped them in the end, but the Japanese highlighted quite a few of their weaknesses.

Sadly, league is just a massive corporate bogan-fest these days. VB/XXXX, etc, appealing to the lowest common denominator.

I was always told that League is the gentleman's game, played by thugs. (And Union is the thugs game, played by gentlemen (that was before union went professional, when they all had professional careers other than football)).

What do you mean turning. It's been a sloppy game for as long as I can remember. I gave up on league over 10 years ago.
Mate I was talking about the 2nd half relative to the 1st...
1st half was mostly tight, controlled footy. 2nd, the buys were getting tired and the slippery pitch starting to force too many errors.

Totally agree with you re the league v union debate, but that's not what this thread is about and it's been done to death.

QLD need to swap Thurston for Cherry Evans. Good to see NSW have a win wen deserved.

Queensland will win the series again... No doubt!!

QLD need to swap Thurston for Cherry Evans. Good to see NSW have a win wen deserved.

Queensland will win the series again... No doubt!!

Thurston for Cherry-Evans .. won't happen and unnecessary. Don't knock your champions. I hate Qld in SOS but admire JT as a champion footballer. I would expect he back to his best next time.

The series winner ... three weeks to pontificate! I love it!

Does anyone know why game 3 is at Suncorp 2 years in a row?

Does anyone know why game 3 is at Suncorp 2 years in a row?

Because the first game was in Melbourne, not Sydney. I think it favoured the Blues to have the second game at home since Melbourne is generally regarded as a Maroons home game more than a Blues home game, which means that if the Brisbane game was second, QLD would have had two home games in a row essentially. I don't know the "official" reason for having the Brisbane game third again but that is my reasoning.

I don't like the idea of any games being outside of QLD and NSW because they don't really appreciate it as much outside the states. You would never see the AFL selling off the grand final to be played outside of Melbourne, so why should NRL be any different.

In the end a good game by the Blues, I was very disappointed in QLDs performance. 13 errors to NSWs' 4 which in the end cost them the game

Rugby league scrum is a a disgrace, it's not a scrum in any sense of the word. They would be better off removing it from the game.
The scrum does what it is (now) supposed to do - give room for the backs to put on a set play.

What is a disgrace is the way the ref tries to pretend otherwise by making them repack after repack after repack - just ****** do it already!

The scrum does what it is (now) supposed to do - give room for the backs to put on a set play.

What is a disgrace is the way the ref tries to pretend otherwise by making them repack after repack after repack - just ****** do it already!

Agree with your first point, but not your second. The referee is enforcing the rules of the game - they don't make them up! - the rule is to keep the "forwards" bound and in the scrum long enough for any set plays (the exception,sadly, rather than the norm) to happen. The scrum already breaks too early for my liking anyway and so too many times a forward (sitting out of the scrum) or wingers take a hit up, with no thought of anything other than not dropping the ball. If you have open slather - just clump together and chuck the ball in like you are envisaging, then the situation will quickly break down. The reason for at least attempting proper binding would be useless.

I agree with kirem. The scrum feed is crooked every time I see one. The feed is supposed to be straight. The scrum is supposed to be a competition between hookers to hook the ball. I have never seen a scrum go against the feed in league.

Or make them do it properly. If the rule is not going to be enforced and the process of executing a scrum is pointless then remove it from the game. The idea of a scrum is the same as a ball up in afl or basketball, a lineout in union, or a toss of a coin if you will. In league today its a 99.999999999999% likely that the team with the feed will get the ball, so why do a scrum? If it's to give the backs space then why not take a tap and set the defensive line back 15m, at least it would be done properly and not be the farce that a scrum is. I'm not saying the scrum has to be removed but if it's going to be in the game then do it properly. It seems increasingly common that there is very little respect from the players towards the refs and in one way its not surprising considering that some of the rules are not being policed properly or with regularity. As for the blatant elbow/forearm rubbing of the opponents head into the turf (that must be considered now mandatory as it occurs with every tackle) it is of my opinion that is neither sportsmanlike nor a necessary part of the game. I would also suspect it is not part of the rules however you could be forgiven for thinking that it must be because neither of the officials warned or penalised a player for doing it. The governing body needs to control the game before the game controls itself because that level of lawlessness is not sustainable, the higher the rise the further the fall.

I agree with kirem. The scrum feed is crooked every time I see one. The feed is supposed to be straight. The scrum is supposed to be a competition between hookers to hook the ball. I have never seen a scrum go against the feed in league.

Used to be so. Not anymore. I've been involved in scrums as both player and a referee since I was 5. I think there were (probably still are) over twenty different penalties that can come from a scrum.

One thing to remember is that many of these scrum rules now is to de-power the scrum. It's a safety issue for the many junior teams playing out there. What works for Moruya Under 16s is the same for State of Origin. Can look ugly, but such is life.

Where's Snow? He'll tell you what happens in a proper Rugby Union scrum where full contact and the scrimmage rules apply. I love seeing sides contest scrums - but I've been in too many where my pack was being dominated. Oh, the pain, the pain ..........

The feed is straight....
Straight into the second row.
:lol:

Used to be so. Not anymore. I've been involved in scrums as both player and a referee since I was 5. I think there were (probably still are) over twenty different penalties that can come from a scrum.

One thing to remember is that many of these scrum rules now is to de-power the scrum. It's a safety issue for the many junior teams playing out there. What works for Moruya Under 16s is the same for State of Origin. Can look ugly, but such is life.

Where's Snow? He'll tell you what happens in a proper Rugby Union scrum where full contact and the scrimmage rules apply. I love seeing sides contest scrums - but I've been in too many where my pack was being dominated. Oh, the pain, the pain ..........

I can't help feeling that league is being continually dumbed down.

well make them do it properly, otherwise just get the forwards to stand in a line and hold hands while the backs have a play.

I would love to see a rugby side pack a scrum against a league side. The league side would shit themselves and the ref would probably have no idea to ref it properly. That is my point, it isn't a scrum, its a league cuddle or group hug.

As for safety, I think the fact that rugby manages to bring players/sides through to elite level and maintain a real scrum as part of the game, proves that it can be done. Teach scrumming correctly, rather than taking the easy option by dumbing it down.

It's a sledge on rugby by calling that league hug a scrum.

Red V member eh? Must be a good bloke!

well make them do it properly, otherwise just get the forwards to stand in a line and hold hands while the backs have a play.
I'm sure that would be just as effective.

I would love to see a rugby side pack a scrum against a league side. The league side would shit themselves and the ref would probably have no idea to ref it properly. That is my point, it isn't a scrum, its a league cuddle or group hug.
They are different games. League scrums are not on the same planet and are not meant to be. Rugby is built around the scrum, ruck, maul - it's fundamental. League it's a restart option.

I can tell you there's nothing worse as a league forward having to do the work in the scrum when your backs keep dropping the bloody ball!

bigandhairy said:
If it's to give the backs space then why not take a tap and set the defensive line back 15m
This doesn't achieve same thing. It's numbers across the field, or distance between defenders that matters.

Anyway, we all agree the scrum is a joke. Unfortunately I don't see it changing anytime soon...

It's a sledge on rugby by calling that league hug a scrum.
Hereafter referred to as the league cuddle.... I think cuddle has more negative connotations that are needed here. Let's get this widely adopted so it gets back to the bozos in charge, that we all think the league cuddle isn't a real scrum.

They are different games. League scrums are not on the same planet and are not meant to be. Rugby is built around the scrum, ruck, maul - it's fundamental. League it's a restart option.
They are different

I can tell you there's nothing worse as a league forward having to do the work in the scrum when your backs keep dropping the bloody ball!
and then they are similar. I am sure a rugby forward feels the same way.

Back