Stopping brewing and selling up

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
60 hours a week is still too much, Tony.

This Doctor's advice is to get it down below 35.

Thanks for sharing, Tony. Hopefully it'll help some people almost as much as your other advice has helped many of us in the past.

Best of luck with everything and I'm glad to hear you'll still be around.

Good for you Tony, get well, live you life the way you want to.

You've taken a huge step and while it is sad to see someone stop a hobby that they love you are doing it for a very good reason, your own well being.

I look forward to the day when you are again satisfied with your spot and can start making beer again.

Well done.

Most honest and brave post I've read.
My partner recently left me, just before christmas, her depression had gotten that bad she couldn't see the one's trying their damnest to help were the ones she was pushing away. She's getting the help she needs now, and has a place just around the corner, though her ex husband didn't return her daughter from Xmas access. The one thing you can be certain of is, this illness if ignored too long will have you face the highest personal cost.
Tony I'm glad you were able to see or have someone help you see that seeking proffesional help and the suport of family and friends is the only way of beating this.
good luck and take some time off, go roo shootin or somethin

I lost a mate to the black dog last year. Turns out he had depression and no one knew. Always the happiest and fun loving guy in public, you'd never pick it. He left behind a wife and 1 yo son.

Well done for sharing your pain and seeking help. The first step is always the hardest.

Too hard to say that was, well, hope you look a bit prettier than that avatar in a year's time :)

It's a hard one, admitting something like that to yourself. My wishes are with you.

Being on of the many who has received guidance from you in the past I wish you great success in your drive to rid yourself of the illness you have.... Good luck and good health Tony.

Cheers
Al

Thanks for sharing with the forum Tony,

I admire the steps you are taking to make your life better again and regain control from a place of darkness.

Good to hear that you will remain around to help others. That is very selfless of you and all of the beginners like myself will appreciate the experienced advice.

All the best Tony

I'm fortunate never to have suffered from depression, so it's somewhat difficult for me to understand the personal hardship it causes.

Your post must have been a struggle to write, and I wish you all the best for the future, and hope you get to a place where you can be fully functioning and content within yourself.

I very rarely post on the forums, but this post really caught my eye and really hits me hard.

Thank you for sharing your story with us, Tony. As others have said, it must have been very hard to write.

I sincerely hope that the 12 months you've set can achieve what you hope and can get back on track with the things that you do enjoy.

Good luck with it and as you've seen on here, you have the support of all the AHB members.

Cheers

Good work tony, Depression runs rife in my Family and my Wifes also, my wife was at me for years about going to see someone as i was drinking myself to sleep every night @ 27. We have 5 Children and they are the only thing that used to make me smile.....

I hated my job, i hated colluges, i pushed away mates, family and my wife...... sometimes you need to make some big changes in your life to make it better, I now have a new job and i'm bouncing out of bed at 6am to get there rather than sleeping in and dragging my ass through the door to do the daily grind.....

After seeking treatment, Going Dry for 12 months and getting the meds sorted (It takes a long time for them to regulate) i can now stay very balanced and i know when iv had enough to drink.

I wouldn't say you will ever have a Miracle cure, but learning how to deal with it and notice when you need to go have a chat with someone to put things into perspective is the best! Councillors are tough, i had a really good one who retired, when i tried to go back when i was struggling a bit the guy who took over her position just wasn't for me..... so i couldn't talk or open up at all..... iv tried 3 others and finally found someone who i am comfortable enough to talk too and who's advice i trust and agree with....

All the best mate, and if posting something like this can make one more man take the plunge and seek help, then you have helped not only the person but everyone around them....

you guys out there, Don't be too proud to seek help, every day you put it off is 2 more it will take to fix......

Cheers!

just one more thing on meds......

I had really bad Side effects when i started on mine, you really need to push though it if your doctor tells you too.... after a few days the dizzy head and spaced out shit go's

Iv found that taking mine at night before bed leaves me clear for the morning to face the day, where if you take them in the morning, you can be a bit on edge. this is just what works for me.... I also have spares in my car and at work, cause missing one can be enough to make me get edgy and a bit light headed....

they are definitely something that needs to be well looked after taking them at the same time every day, not missing them and making sure you always have them on hand..... after 3.5 years on them i still forget to take the bloody thing.... im usually in bed when i remember.

Hope you are well on the way to recovery Tony, you have given a lot to this Forum and the hobby in general and at the risk of sounding selfish I hope you continue to be a major contributor here.

Andrew

Read your posts with enthusiasm over the last few years Tony, like i have, im sure everybody appreciates your contributions to this place.

We were put through a small workshop to recognise the early signs of stress and depression a couple of years ago at work, as things were getting a bit crazy. It was facilited by the fella who started the Black Dog foundation - one of the best workshops management organised. Id encourage anyone in a position to organise one for your workplace to do so, as the statistic around depression are truely mind boggling. Not only did the workshop help you look out for your work mates but friends and family also, a well spent two hours.

Goodluck with whats ahead.

Cheers,

DB

Yeah that was me......... pushed away everyone, never got involved in anything social, changed jobs every couple years, moved from town to town looking for a spot i was happpy bit i never was.

And as you said...... my 3 kids were the only thing that really made me smile.

You become an absolute master of disguise, putting every available drop of energy into hiding it from the world to try and gain a tad of acceptance from other people. and that just runs you down further.

I was talking to a friend a month or so ago about my troubles and she said to me......... Tony, you cant continue doing the same thing and expect a different result.

That really stuck in my head and went round and round and round. eventually it clicked in as to what i needed to do. I needed to change my ways.

Thanks so much for all the support folks. Im blown away :)

cheers

m3taL said:
just one more thing on meds......

I had really bad Side effects when i started on mine, you really need to push though it if your doctor tells you too.... after a few days the dizzy head and spaced out shit go's

Iv found that taking mine at night before bed leaves me clear for the morning to face the day, where if you take them in the morning, you can be a bit on edge. this is just what works for me.... I also have spares in my car and at work, cause missing one can be enough to make me get edgy and a bit light headed....

they are definitely something that needs to be well looked after taking them at the same time every day, not missing them and making sure you always have them on hand..... after 3.5 years on them i still forget to take the bloody thing.... im usually in bed when i remember.
YEah i found that, first few days i was freaking out, felt like i was peaking and having dizzy attacks. We were at the shops one day and i suddenly felt like everything was 50 meters away and my headd felt like it was being squished. My wife looked at me and said, youve gone very pale are you ok?

I just sat down on the ground and it passed as quick as it hit.

I also find if i miss one i get really unstable and aggressive. I now leave them out where i make my breakfast so i see them every morning and remember to take it.

Hey Bloke
I probably drive past your house a couple of times a week on my way 'up the Valley' for work.
I don't need any gear but happy to have a yarn.
PM me if you're up for a social call.
Harry

Like you I look nothing like my avatar. Ok, a little bit.

You've always been one of the key members to listen too and this post was yet another example of your wisdom. It's sobering and important to remember in this obessive hobby that health shouldn't be something to sacrifice.
On the treatment side; exercise has been found to more effective than drugs in a number of studies, if you can fit it in (like Nick said 60hrs is too much)

I too have delt with depression for the last 8 years. It finally took its toll on my family and job very recently. I have been on anti-depressant meds, been to councellors and even laid off the booze. i think i finally have the right med combo now but its too late for my family.
Like others have said, You aren't alone. Talk through your problems, It helps.

Good luck with your journey mate.

Latest posts

Back