Stammtisch Challange

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike and QB, were you both still keen on judging? I'm thinking of Friday the 17th or Saturday the 18th for judging...how does that sound for you lot?
Dropped in to see the progress of this, and WHOA! This is the first I've heard of volunteering (or the first I've been told that I had heard :chug: ). I am otherwise occupied on Saturday.

I wasn't involved in this challenge purely due to a complete lack of time to get a specific brew done. By all means though, I'll gladly be involved in the next one. Best of luck all.

Dropped in to see the progress of this, and WHOA! This is the first I've heard of volunteering (or the first I've been told that I had heard :chug: ). I am otherwise occupied on Saturday.

I wasn't involved in this challenge purely due to a complete lack of time to get a specific brew done. By all means though, I'll gladly be involved in the next one. Best of luck all.

yeah we have other judges organised for this one - next time, unless you decide to brew a challange beer.

Cheers
Phil

I'll be there. 11am with a bottle of 2 of my irish red.

Can someone PM me the address? I have a vague recollection of where it is.

I wont be staying for food though.

Address PMd. Can you bring a reliable thermometer mate? I've got 2 that both read the same but that could easily mean that they're both out by the same amount.

I'll come round with my entry on Sat morning around 11am, might be feeling a bit shady though. Don't worry about me for food, I've got to get some stuff done in the afternoon and I'll bring anything I need to eat.
Cheers, catch ya's there.

I also have work to do in the afternoon so can't hang around and eat either really, will be there at 11am.
Someone print of some judging sheets and guidelines?

I also have work to do in the afternoon so can't hang around and eat either really, will be there at 11am.
Someone print of some judging sheets and guidelines?
Done, printed some off. Just gotta remember to bring 'em.

Sounds like 11am is the go then. I'll whack a bottle of mine in the fridge when I get home tonight and bring it around in the morning.

For anyone who needs to drop their bottles off early, I'm cracking grain as I type. I'll have to shoot out for a couple of minutes to pick up a gas bottle but apart from that I'm not going anywhere.

Dropped by after this was all over today, I hear congrats should go to Goofinder.
I thought Raven's interpretation was interesting, Irish Red with a touch of Ulster Fry. That bacon flavor gets me every time. :)
Cheers
Nige

Good on ya Goofinder, keen to see what the next beer will be

Couldn't get there in the end, too busy today.

Congrats Goofinder. When do we learn of the next challenge beer. Will make sure I have a beer worth entering this time.

Ulster fry beer?

Cheers guys.

In case anyone is interested, I mashed at 65-66C for about 80 minutes (not sure why it was longer than 60, probably was busy doing something else). Missed the 40 min hop addition because I brew 90% of my beers with a 60-20-0 hop schedule and forgot this one was meant to go in earlier. So the 40 min addition ended up being a 32 min addition. No chilled as per usual and calculated for 27IBU, so depending on whether you think no chilling adds IBUs or not it probably ended up around the mark anyway. Hit the target OG of 1.055 spot on, fermented a couple of weeks in primary then another 10 days in secondary finishing at 1.014.

I also cheated :eek: and swapped out 100g of the base malt for biscuit malt, but that was because the recipe called for Golden Promise or similar UK malt but all I had was JW Trad Ale and I wanted to get some of that biscuity character.

I'll set the next challenge by next weekend, I've got a couple of ideas just need to work through them to work out exactly what it will be.

I thought Raven's interpretation was interesting, Irish Red with a touch of Ulster Fry. That bacon flavor gets me every time. :)

Ulster fry beer?

Haha, yeah I have managed to brew my Irish Red with smoked malt not pilsner malt! :lol: <_<

I quite like it though!

My bad, it was a portion of smoked malt in a JW Pilsner bag from RK! This raven is easily confused!

I also cheated :eek: and swapped out 100g of the base malt for biscuit malt, but that was because the recipe called for Golden Promise or similar UK malt but all I had was JW Trad Ale and I wanted to get some of that biscuity character.
congrats :D

cheating or not it was a very well made beer (i'd actually rate your adjustment as a handicap against MO if anything). 1st and 2nd were very very close.

looking forward to the next comp, will hopefully pull my finger out and brew for it.

Ulster fry beer?
Not sure if you are asking what an Ulster Fry is or not.
It is a full fried breakfast, smokey bacon, sausage, black pudding, mushrooms, beans, toasted soda bread and a pancake served in the provence of Ulster in Ireland.
It's how I got my figure :D
Cheers
Nige

Not sure if you are asking what an Ulster Fry is or not.
It is a full fried breakfast, smokey bacon, sausage, black pudding, mushrooms, beans, toasted soda bread and a pancake served in the provence of Ulster in Ireland.
It's how I got my figure :D
Cheers
Nige

No, just wondering how you put an ulster fry in beer. It would be pretty chunky :)

The results

1. Goofinder

2. Russel Taylor

3. DrSmurto

Cheers
Phil

Thanks for organising Phillip. How many entries did you get? Congratulations Goofinder, looking forward to the next challenge you set us.

I'm sweltering in Mackay heat at the moment. <_<

Latest posts

Back