Stammtisch Challange

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So from my count I only need to provide 4 samples? The starter has finished and I will be dividing up the yeast tonight. So please let me know. Failing that, I will have some yeast cake in just under 2 weeks.

Cheers
Phil

+1 , me too please! Thanks mate.

Edit - I am happy to grab a jar of trub following your ferment Phil if thats easier.

Then we say compare Gen 0 to Gen 1 too.... :icon_cheers:

+1 could happily go some of the trub from the ferment

happy to grab some from the starter though if that is easier for you.

I have also got a smack-pack of this in the fridge, which I can divide in a week or two once I get brewing. Will post up more once I know when I plan to brew it.
Cheers.

No time to brew for this one.
I will run the judging.

Got three samples in the fridge for anyone that needs one. PM me for pick up details. I have raven and rootingkings down for splitting the yeast cake.

Cheers
Phil

I'm happy to judge if yr desperate for one or be a steward if yr not. I'll be keen for these challenges at some point but my AG brewing is at L plate stage at the moment.

Got three samples in the fridge for anyone that needs one. PM me for pick up details. I have raven and rootingkings down for splitting the yeast cake.

Cheers
Phil

legend, cheers.

Now I just need to get some carared and wait for the target to arrive...

Qu on the recipe; why so high a % in crystal, up over 10%. I know its supposed to have moderate caramel flavour but...seems high to me. Not saying it won't be a good beer.

anyhoo, it certainly will be interesting to see what people come up with. I know what my plan is but its a secret :icon_cheers:

I've gone 15% carared in a "red ale" a while ago. Bloody nice beer. Based on Doc's red i think. I think ( but could well be wrong ) that its for the right colour, and or for the maltiness.

Would love to be there for the judging of this challenge!!

Thought I might get to knock this one out on the weekend but realised I have all ingredients except cararoma and I'm not going to be able to get it between now and then. Next week I won't be able to do it so unlikely I'll have one ready in time. I might still brew the recipe anyway - I'll do my own judging at home.

8% Munich I or II

Maybe a silly question, but are we talking about straight Munich malt, or caramunich I or II spec malts here? :blink:

Edit - after a bit more research I am presuming basic munich malt unless advised otherwise.

Hoping to make this brew this week.

I hope that your irish reds are going well. Mine is going to transfer from primary into secondary (keg) tomorrow or thursday. That means raven, rootingkings and smurto - there will be some yeast cake ready for you all. I am thinking that there will be enough for 3 people...

Cheers
Phil

I hope that your irish reds are going well. Mine is going to transfer from primary into secondary (keg) tomorrow or thursday. That means raven, rootingkings and smurto - there will be some yeast cake ready for you all. I am thinking that there will be enough for 3 people...

Cheers
Phil

Mine is not going well. Since I had to squeeze this is into my brew schedule I could not use my ferment fridge and had to rely on a less than ideal heat pad setup for temp control. Ferment temp rose 24 degC after 24hrs, I cooled it back down to 20 which stalled the yeast. It has been slowly chugging away since. Tastes quite fruity at the moment. Might bottle a few to see how it comes out - keg the rest and turf it if it turns out average.

Legend!

I plan on only making a mini 10L batch of this brew, so I wont need as much yeast as RK & Smurts if that helps.

Made up a starter from the yeast I got from Phillip and managed to get mine in the fermenter on the weekend before driving over to Melbourne. Looked like it had started off early on Monday morning so it should be ready to be racked by the time I get back.

Got the yeast cake in bottles for you all to pick up.

PM me for pick up arrangements!

Big thanks to Phil for the yeasties! Will brew my batch this weekend if the rain sticks around.

Big thanks to Phil for the yeasties! Will brew my batch this weekend if the rain sticks around.

+1 Cheers Phil :icon_cheers: (and Rav the collection agent ;) ). Yeast went into the fermenter over the weekend and took off like a rocket. Will be ready soon enough.

Brewing this on the weekend so will be ready just in time.....

Any info on the judging day/location?

I hope that everyone's beer is coming along well. It seems that we are going to have to add another week onto the deadline for this one, as the original judging date coincides with the BJCP tests here in adelaide. That means that beers will need to be submitted by Friday the 10th of December now and judging will take place the weekend following that. I apologize for any inconvenience.

As for location, it will be either at my place in kurralta park or at hatchy's in marelston. There will be an announcement made closer to the date regarding the time, place etc. I can only assume that we will be making a day out of it.

Cheers
Phil

Back