Stammtisch Challange

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Effect

Hop extract brewer
Reaction score
Hi there everyone,

We would like to announce a new challenge and in a way an old challenge. Old challenge as there used to be a challenge held in Adelaide called the Stammtisch Challenge. Some of you may know what they were but to summarise, Stammtisch is german for "regular's table". One Friday per month a group of brewers got together at Grumpy's to sample each others beers and have some pizza. Those who were members of the Grumpys forum will recall these.

Anyway, long story short(ish) Voosher used to issue brewing challenges. This involved a set recipe such that the number of variables were greatly reduced. The difference in the beer then came down to each brewers mash and fermentation regime. Water and additions would also play a role. Our thinking behind this was that it broadened our experience as brewers and challenged our skills.

2 stammtisch challenges have taken place this year, the first issued by DrSmurto to brew the Stammtisch Alt which was a variation of the last challenge issued by Voosher as part of the Stammtisch. This was won by Boston who subsequently issued a Bo Pils challenge which was won by BigH. It is now up to BigH to issue the next challenge.

Irish Red

Irish Red Ale - Flavour of the week + BJCP Guidelines

80% Golden Promise (or pale base malt of choice, preferably UK)
8% Munich I or II
8% Carared
3% Caraaroma
1% Roast Barley

Hops - aim for 27IBU:
'Target' - 20IBU from 60 min addition
'Target' - 7IBU from 40 min addition

Yeast:
Wyeast 1084 - Irish Ale

How to scale a recipe in beersmith

All entries will need to be submitted by Friday the 3rd of December, with Judging taking place on Friday the 10th of December and the winner being announced on Saturday the 11th of December

Judging will be done by a group of Adelaide brewers, none of whom will be in the challenge, in a Best of Show format.

The winner of the competition then has one week from judging to choose a style and recipe for the next stammtisch challenge.

Entries can be dropped of at:
1) Phillip (West of City Dropoff)
2) Boston (City and Barossa Dropoff)
3) Smurto (Hills Dropoff)
4) BigHolty (North of city Dropoff)
5) Raven (South of city Dropoff)

Happy Masterchef Brewing
Cheers
Phil (and the rest of the Adelaide Brewing Community)

Just to add - this isn't limited to adelaide brewers - it's open to all of australia and new zealand.

Cheers
Phil

I know its not a hop driven style, but all Target?

Cheers,
BB

Just to add - this isn't limited to adelaide brewers - it's open to all of australia and new zealand.

Cheers
Phil

Was curious about that. Might have a crack if I remember and can fit it in. Haven't done a red for a while and I have plenty of Marris Otter, target hops and maybe some 1084 somewhere.

If interstate welcome, when will we find out where to post?

Was curious about that. Might have a crack if I remember and can fit it in. Haven't done a red for a while and I have plenty of Marris Otter, target hops and maybe some 1084 somewhere.

If interstate welcome, when will we find out where to post?

If you are wanting to enter and you are either interstate or in SA and you would like to know where to drop off or post then please get in contact with either myself, DrSmurto, Boston, bigh and raven19.

Cheers
Phil

Any plans to split up some yeast for this challenge like have been done in the past?

I don't mind an Irish Red and that's similar enough to my last batch that went down well so I might see if I can get something in for this one.

Any plans to split up some yeast for this challenge like have been done in the past?

I don't mind an Irish Red and that's similar enough to my last batch that went down well so I might see if I can get something in for this one.

I'm confident that we will - so watch this space.

When I sent the recipe through to Phil, I forgot to mention that the starting gravity you should aim for is 1.055. This beer is at the upper-end of the Irish Red style.
Happy Brewing!

for 6 years I've had an Irish red in the plans to brew...perhaps it is time. Now I need to squeeze it into the schedule and check that the 1084 I have isn't tainted by the crazy local yeast. :blink:

I am soooo far behind on my planned brewing - trying to renovate, finish the new brew rig, still keen as for this one though.

timing dependent, i reckon i could be in this one also.

i would really appreciate a slant/sample of the 1084 yeast as it is not one I would use regularly.

i'll either brew or stick my hand up to judge for this one. never done an irish red before...

I'm going to try and organise some yeast. Let me know if you would like a sample - going to make a 2 litre starter from a smack pack and then divide it up accordingly.

Cheers
Phil

I'm going to try and organise some yeast. Let me know if you would like a sample - going to make a 2 litre starter from a smack pack and then divide it up accordingly.

Cheers
Phil

Got a smackpack in my hot little hands - it's swelling up as we speak. Please let me know if you need a sample of this yeast for the challange.

Cheers
Phil

I'm in on this.

Boilerboy - bought my last batch of Target from Voosher and he told me that Brad had made a very nice all Target IPA. Am interested to know how it goes in late additions as to date, I've only ever used it to bitter with.

I'm in on this.

Boilerboy - bought my last batch of Target from Voosher and he told me that Brad had made a very nice all Target IPA. Am interested to know how it goes in late additions as to date, I've only ever used it to bitter with.

I can't find the post for the life of me - but I think someone did an all Target IPA (maybe the one you are mentioning) - they said 'think challanger - but better' or something on the lines of that.

Cheers
Phil

Got a smackpack in my hot little hands - it's swelling up as we speak. Please let me know if you need a sample of this yeast for the challange.
Put me down for a sample please.

Put me down for a sample please.

+1 , me too please! Thanks mate.

Edit - I am happy to grab a jar of trub following your ferment Phil if thats easier.

Then we say compare Gen 0 to Gen 1 too.... :icon_cheers:

unfortunately i reckon the timing will get the better of me on this one. not enough hours in the day in the lead-up to christmas ...

hopefully make the next one.

cheers
jon

Latest posts

Back