SMaSH Combinations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nick JD said:
Nick JD, on 11 Apr 2013 - 15:56, said:
It wasn't "foul" at all.

It was SMOKEY. And MEATY. Just not sessionable. Then again, I'm not sure that's the purpose of a rauch.

Make a great accompaniment to a lot of meals ... thought you'd be ordering a nice ale or a clean lager when you were finished dinner.
Exactly. Smoky, meaty, not sessionable. I seldom have more than one (though standing in Schlenkerla's ox-blood painted beer hall I mighta had three)

A rauch would be an interesting thing to brew for me and I'd like to do one one day because of these wonderful Bamberg rauch memories. Dunno if I'd want it taking up a Keg as I reckon I might not get through 19L in a year, but certainly something I want to do one day.

Edit: pretty sure there's a recipe in Classic Styles. I reckon I'd start with that, maybe do a 5l batch and bottle it into stubbies and compare against Schlenkerla's Marzen.

Edak said:
Currently boiling a SMaSH.

Batch Size (fermenter): 20.00 l
Bottling Volume: 19.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.057 SG
Estimated Color: 9.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 48.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.60 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 82.8 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 1 -
4.75 kg Golden Promise (Simpsons) (3.9 EBC) Grain 2 95.0 %
0.25 kg GP (Simpsons) (toasted 30min @ 180) (45. Grain 3 5.0 %
20.00 g Mosaic [11.00 %] - First Wort 30.0 min Hop 4 21.3 IBUs
10.00 g Mosaic [11.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 12.6 IBUs
0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -
15.00 g Mosaic [11.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 9.4 IBUs
20.00 g Mosaic [11.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 5.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 9 -

Mash Schedule: Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 5.00 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Saccharification Add 27.06 l of water at 69.1 C 66.0 C 60 min
Mash Out Heat to 78.0 C over 14 min 78.0 C 10 min
Looks good, love to hear how much of an impact toasting the GP had.

What temp/how long did you toast for? edit: I'm an idiot, 180 for 30 mins.

Was there much of a color difference after toasting?

There was a mild difference, I crushed a few grains separately but forgot to take a photo. Looked amber in colour which is why I changed 3.9EBC to 45EBC.

It's fermenting now so will have to report back. It's hard to tell the colour in the fermenter because it always looks dark in there, but it's definitely added something to the colour.

To the guys using wey pils as a base malt, I find there's a thing about pils that doesn't sit with me. Just made a wet pils 4kg + wheat 1kg brew with galaxy. Seems a bit "wrong" to me. Is this a bad combo of hops and malt? I noticed jd said it was good with spec malt and plenty of hops, I think I under hopped, but do others share my reaction to pils? Or was or my recipe choice?
I don't think pils and me agree...

I'm liking this thread, wondering what other smash brew s people have done? As an biab noob, I'm thinking one is in order...

To the guys using wey pils as a base malt, I find there's a thing about pils that doesn't sit with me. Just made a wet pils 4kg + wheat 1kg brew with galaxy. Seems a bit "wrong" to me. Is this a bad combo of hops and malt? I noticed jd said it was good with spec malt and plenty of hops, I think I under hopped, but do others share my reaction to pils? Or was or my recipe choice?
I don't think pils and me agree...

I'm liking this thread, wondering what other smash brew s people have done? As an biab noob, I'm thinking one is in order...

I brewed a SMaSH a couple of months ago - went with Best Vienna and Simcoe. 40 IBU, a fair amount of late hopping and US-05.

Came out really well. The only thing I would change next time would be to lower the IBU to 30-35 as it was just a little much without spec malts to compensate.

Edak - how did the toasted SMaSH come out?

stakka82 said:
I brewed a SMaSH a couple of months ago - went with Best Vienna and Simcoe. 40 IBU, a fair amount of late hopping and US-05.

Came out really well. The only thing I would change next time would be to lower the IBU to 30-35 as it was just a little much without spec malts to compensate.

Edak - how did the toasted SMaSH come out?
The toasted malt came out really well, but I over hopped the brew with mosaic. It's nice but I think first wort hopping with mosaic was a poor idea because it has a resinous flavour alongside the bitterness.

In the future I might toast the malt longer to get more colour

On a whim chucked together an amber ale SMaSH the other week.

Dark Munich and Chinook, around 1050 and 40 IBU, also dry hopped. Got it into the keg last night.

Marvellous combo, best smash I've done so far. The aggressiveness of the chinook cuts through the sweetness/maltiness of the dark munich really well.

Highly recommend.

stakka82 said:
On a whim chucked together an amber ale SMaSH the other week.

Dark Munich and Chinook, around 1050 and 40 IBU, also dry hopped. Got it into the keg last night.

Marvellous combo, best smash I've done so far. The aggressiveness of the chinook cuts through the sweetness/maltiness of the dark munich really well.

Highly recommend.
Epic! That's awesome.

Stakka82 made a Vienna cascade smash its rocking along at the moment.dam volcano with danstar west coast yeast taste wicked so far.

I did a JW trad' ale and galaxy smash that was pretty good. It'll probably form the basis for an oft brewed house ale.

Just noticed it was you Stakka. Come over and try it! Thursday night Oysters and Prawns (yes tomorrow). Kicks off at 6:30. A few blokes a few beers and a shitload of seafood.

So I'm thinking about getting a sack of JW export pilsner and maybe a pound of hops and that can be the ingredient base for my first 5 or so all grain brews...

Which should give me a bit of hands on trial and error type learning.

The biggest question for me is which hops I should be going for, as I want it to be SMaSH for simplicity. I want to have something I can use for the bittering addition with the possibility of late additions aswell.

Thoughts/Suggestions???

Tahoose said:
So I'm thinking about getting a sack of JW export pilsner and maybe a pound of hops and that can be the ingredient base for my first 5 or so all grain brews...

Which should give me a bit of hands on trial and error type learning.

The biggest question for me is which hops I should be going for, as I want it to be SMaSH for simplicity. I want to have something I can use for the bittering addition with the possibility of late additions aswell.

Thoughts/Suggestions???

Cascade, Centennial or Simcoe spring to mind for American ales, Halertau Mit. for European anything (great hop) or EKG/Styrians for anything British.

Really depends what you're prefered style is.

Thinking along the lines of maybe a lager, and using something like saflager s23 as the yeast, would like to maybe aim for a euro lager or even a Aussie style draught/lager

Forgot to post in this thread after I did a SMaSH which was delicious. Back story is the HBS I went to for some pale malt only had sacks of Castle Pale, from Belgium, so I took it anyway. The EBC is 8, whereas JW ale is ~4.
I smashed the Castle Pale with Bravo.
Its a super red beer and Bravo is a high AA hop ~14%,
I bittered it to 35 and made it to 5%.with 0.5g/L Bravo at flameout.

I went back to the shop and mentioned just how red it was and the owner said it is often described as Munich on roids. Bravo went well with it and added a super smooth bitterness and a pleasant citrus flavour, not OTT like late galaxy IMHO.

Once I get my xmas beers brewed I am revisiting this one, no changes.
Castle Pale was a winner I would never have tried, had they not run out of JW Ale. ~Same $ too, maybe a buck or two cheaper in fact!

Going to do a Galaxy grain and galaxy hop smash tomorrow just because I have a fair bit of both those ingredients . Going to use wyeast Californian lager yeast and see how it goes. Will mash at a higher temp so it doesn't get too dry. Can't wait , even going to use fresh rain water I collected yesterday with some small mineral additions to keep the yeast happy. The rain water is a bit more acidic then my tap water so will be easy to get that ph in the zone for the mash with out all the extra additions of lactic acid or acidulated malt.

I'm doing something similar this weekend. Going with Galaxy hops to about 30 IBU and some Maris Otter malt, thinking about a touch of crystal to balance it out, but we'll see how I go. Really looking forward to smashing with the galaxy hops on their own! Am yet to try them in a beer of my own!

Munich and Amarillo

48 IBU
No Chill
No dry hop
WY1272

One of the best simplest beers I have made so far

Latest posts

Back