SMaSH Combinations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Edak said:
What i want to know is what ABV do you aim for with a SMaSH?
Depends what kind of beer you're making.

All the pale beers can be smashed - pretty difficult with the dark ones.

So, how about a 8.5% Belgian Triple with Styrians; a 7.0% IPA with Citra; a 3.8% Cascade Mild; and a 11.5% DIPA with Mosaic?

Single malt and single hop ... that's your only restraint.

Nick, i think you want me To become an alcoholic :)

If only i werent bound by the rules of a braumeister set up... i do take your point though.

Only smash I've ever made was a scottish wee heavy - all maris, ekg and a 3 hour boil. Dark and high abv, low IBU.

Will be doing again soon.

fletcher said:
anyone had any success with a smash using pilsner malt?
Oh yes. I've even had success even using the same ingredients for different styles.

Pilsner - Pilsner malt & saaz.

Belgian strong - Pilsner & saaz - OK, there was some sugar in there, bit technically it was still one malt one hop.

I'm convinced our role as brewers is about producing a wort that makes the yeast taste good.

i'll give one a go. this is my inexperience talking but what other beer styles can be made (apart from boh pils and other pils and lagers etc) with pils malts? if i wanted to make more of an ale, is it just a case of using an ale yeast?

fletcher said:
i'll give one a go. this is my inexperience talking but what other beer styles can be made (apart from boh pils and other pils and lagers etc) with pils malts? if i wanted to make more of an ale, is it just a case of using an ale yeast?
I often use Wey Pils for everything. It's the king of base malts.

Not so much for it's sweet, bready flavour (which is smothered by lots of spec malts and hops) but also because it produces beer with a great mouthfeel and body.

I'm inclined these days to pick a base malt that's as pale as can be (you can always make a beer darker, but not lighter than your base), and contributes best to the body of the beer - not sure why, but maybe wey pils has some goodly proteins in it, or less crap in the husk or something. Germans know their malts.

ah that's good to hear. thought i'd try that anyway but figured i'd ask first for experienced replies...thanks a bunch Nick. luckily enough i have a big bunch of wey pils on hand so i'm gonna go get to smash-ing.

Fletcher - I use a pilsner base for all APA and IPAs, and prefer it that way. YMMV.

Your yeast and to some degree treatment of the yeast determines ale or lager.

cheers guys, i'll definitely give it a go for future APAs and IPAs. looking forward to it more now

my last smash was called bock-az....... all jw dark munich and topaz flowers. fermented with wyeast oktoberfest. 8% a tasty sipping beer. used some of it in my mince pies over xmas which worked well.

on the other end of the flavour spectrum i once did a smash with malteurop pils, willamette flowers and wyeast german ale..... it was bland (but went down well at a neighbour's 21st)

anyone done a smoke smash? i've got a sack of best smoke malt and am set on doing a smash with some. maybe a small 10 litre batch. just not sure that yeast/hops to go with......... hops probably won't matter too much as it'll be a malt forward beer so maybe just hallertau....... munich lager would be the obvious choice but i'm tempted to use an ale yeast........ not sure why though... maybe a split-smoke-smash is in order?

christmasbender said:
anyone done a smoke smash? i've got a sack of best smoke malt and am set on doing a smash with some. maybe a small 10 litre batch. just not sure that yeast/hops to go with......... hops probably won't matter too much as it'll be a malt forward beer so maybe just hallertau....... munich lager would be the obvious choice but i'm tempted to use an ale yeast........ not sure why though... maybe a split-smoke-smash is in order?
I did a 100% Weyermann Smoked. Never again.

It was "interesting" - but the kinda thing you don't want more than a glass of. Like drinking carbonated pea and ham soup.

Nick JD said:
I did a 100% Weyermann Smoked. Never again.

It was "interesting" - but the kinda thing you don't want more than a glass of. Like drinking carbonated pea and ham soup.
strangely that appeals to me....... and as much as i respect people's judgement of flavor etc.... taste is relative and mine is a little weird at times..... plus i like to experience these sensory expeditions for myself...... if it's undrinkable i'll reduce it down, add some spices and make a bbq sauce...... or pour it into vb cans and give it to unsuspecting macro-drinkers at my next neighbourhood gathering

It wasn't "foul" at all.

It was SMOKEY. And MEATY. Just not sessionable. Then again, I'm not sure that's the purpose of a rauch.

Make a great accompaniment to a lot of meals ... thought you'd be ordering a nice ale or a clean lager when you were finished dinner.

Maybe it's just me, but those uber smokey beers actually make me feel nauseas after a few sips. The only time it seems to work for me is when the smoked malt is kept well under 5%.

I did a rauchroggenweiss with about 10% smoked malt. That was smokey enough. Not sessionable, but not "I have to stop after 2 sips" either.

I remember archive a couple years back having a breakfast beer. It wasn't 100%, but it wasn't 5% either. It took me an a couple of former mates (who were generally eurowankisnob beer drinkers) about an hour and a half to get through a schooner.

Smoked malt is better in scotch.

My 2c.

Currently boiling a SMaSH.

Batch Size (fermenter): 20.00 l
Bottling Volume: 19.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.057 SG
Estimated Color: 9.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 48.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.60 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 82.8 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients: