Advice regarding expanding brewing setup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mesuite77

Reaction score
Long time lurker, now a poster.

I've been brewing AG for a while now using a Big W pot (BIAB) and I'm looking to expand my system. Learnt how to do this lurking on these forums and a big thank you to those who developed the method here. Ultimately I'm leaning towards a 1V recirc system such as a Robobrew etc. However funds don't stretch that far atm.

I'm tossing up 2 options. Keep doing 20ltr BIAB and keep saving till I can afford a Robobrew...

or

Start building a DIY robobrew using a keggle and add components as I can afford them. Thinking I start with a keg and fit a tap, and 2.4kW electric element and continue BIAB using this setup. Then when funds allow add a false bottom, malt pipe (either DIY or i've seen a thread on here that indicates a robobrew malt pipe will fit inside a keggle), pump, etc.. Means I just build my system up piece by piece as money allows.

I can get a keg for $30-$50. Can get valves and fittings through work. An element will be about $40. I have access to the tools to fit the valves and element. Is there anything I'm missing? Once I get everything else sorted I have access to control systems to handle the automation or I've seen talk of Brauduino as another possibility (ex ICT Analyst so working with these devices is fine for me).

Keen to hear thoughts from anyone who has done the DIY 1V system and whether this is a viable plan? What were the total costs to put your system together.

Cheers
Anthony

I haven't done the DIY for a single vessel brewery, I think a lot of people would be weighing up the cost and time involved as against buying Robobrew or Guten. If you enjoy tinkering with a project like that then building your own would give you more satisfaction.

I've went the DIY route and can say that its very satisfying to brew that way. However I have spent more overall than if I was to buy a Robobrew or Guten.
So that's one thing to take into account as a long run view...

Back