SMaSH Combinations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been quite a while since I did a s.m.a.s.h.
This weekend I'll do a BB Galaxy and Riwaka APA.
Will pitch it onto a wyeast Rogue Pacman yeast cake.

maldridge said:
I'm doing something similar this weekend. Going with Galaxy hops to about 30 IBU and some Maris Otter malt, thinking about a touch of crystal to balance it out, but we'll see how I go. Really looking forward to smashing with the galaxy hops on their own! Am yet to try them in a beer of my own!
If you add a touch of crystal, I'll request you delete this post.
:p

With a bag of Viena coming in the next BB I'm thinking a Viena/NS smash, 4.5% 25-30ish IBU, should be nice for when the weather gets properly hot.

i just finished the last of a maris otter / POR@60 smash at about 25 IBU. simple and bloody beautiful.

I've got a Wey Bo Pils and Hal SMASH coming up soon, should be ready for summer

I'd venture an opinion that until recently anyway, every "superior" European lager made over the last 150 years was a SMASH made on one malt and one hop, classic examples being Bohemian Pilsners.

Now the cheaper non German brands tend to sneak in some wheat or maltose and even the Germans are cheating a bit with some bittering from Magnum then overlaying it with Hallertau, but the principle is there.

My favourite SMASH is just BB or JW Pils malt to 5% ABV plus POR flowers, one addition, to 25 IBU. No sugaz, for a richer flavour.

Have a beer in the fermenter now, 100% Briess Pale, 35 BU's of Cascade (60g at 10mins!) and about 5 or 10g dryhopped cascade, BRY97. Have to say that plain old cascade is often underrated

DJR said:
Have a beer in the fermenter now, 100% Briess Pale, 35 BU's of Cascade (60g at 10mins!) and about 5 or 10g dryhopped cascade, BRY97. Have to say that plain old cascade is often underrated

It is a great hop that gets over looked a bit with all the new varieties.

Cascade is my go to hop whenever I'm brewing something that's not English. I'll often brew a quick pale ale with some cheap local malt, and chuck in a couple of handfuls of Cascade.

Nothing flash but very drinkable, and not too strong for megaswil drinkers. :)

Donske said:
It is a great hop that gets over looked a bit with all the new varieties.
Agreed, but not in this house! Original(ish) and still the best

mckenry said:
I went back to the shop and mentioned just how red it was and the owner said it is often described as Munich on roids. Bravo went well with it and added a super smooth bitterness and a pleasant citrus flavour, not OTT like late galaxy IMHO.
Bravo flies under the radar and is quite unique I reckon, I did a couple of single hops with it about a year ago, one of which got destroyed at a party in about 3 hrs...

I did an english IPA a few months ago that turned out great, all EKG but with a bit of biscuit and dark xtal. I reckon it'd go great as a smash, Maris and EKG. I used 1469 and would use that in that combo, guarantee it would come out awesome.

Hi - been keen to try challenger on his own, what hop schedule do you go with? Cheers

Would people really want to use an lovely and intensely aromatic hop like Citra in a SMASH? I mean using it in the bittering seems like it might be a bit of a waste.

Smash just means single malt and single hop.. It doesn't dictate the way you USE the hop. Chuck in 60 IBU in the last 10 minutes if you want to..

I'm torn between a smash and like 3 other recipes.. And my last keg is on it's last few litres! :-( better decide quick!

Go the citra smash tim t, you will not be disappointed!

I'm thinking my next brew might be a pilsner/hallertau smash. Has anyone tried this combo?

I haven't tried it, but I remember someone saying something about using the floor malted bohemian pils malt.. Maybe give it a go!

I'm thinking of brewing an MO/EKG smash this weekend with 3 or 4 litres of first running being boiled separately into a thick syrup and added back with 10 minutes to go in the boil, I've heard of people doing this and it adding an extra dimension to the beer, just wondering what exactly I can expect.

Latest posts

Back