Show us your brewrig

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dont get me started on the greedy..

Least the stainless FV's are ready when you are ;)

Shit man.. is ya yeast OK? :blink: If you've suffered loss there, let me know and I''ll send a recovery package STAT B)

Thanks for you kind offer, mate. I'm OK for yeast, as most of my cultures are in the upstairs part of the house (or are are above the tide mark in the brew area).

Maybe I should point out that the house is above the flooded area and on brick walls, raised above the water. Just the septic tank, hot water system and washing machine (as well as brew/keg fridges and a few old uninsured project vehicles are in the drink).

lakehouse_.jpg

Photo taken from dry land in the driveway. I normally park beside the house, but it's over a foot deep right now, as you can see with the old KIA in the pic.
Also note the inflatable boat that I needed to buy to travel between house and dry land.
Will talk to the council again today, and the local member, and insurance. Had the newspaper out here a few times in the past, and got to be a page 3 pinup, but no changes to the situation.

Sheesh Lez,

I can sympathise - this was my place across the weekend...

28bcswz.jpg

...and here's my brewspace;

1z213ex.jpg

...at least most of the bottled beer is OK.

2dkhmb6.jpg

Now the tidy up begins

Man, heart goes out to the flooded out brewers!

Have made some alterations to my rig that still has some evolution to come.

Changed the Rack-It shelving to bring the HLT down to a more ergonomic height, there's now space above it for another shelf. Built an immersion chiller out of 18m of copper with an additional whirlpool arm and also got a Keg King hop spider.

Trimmed the mashtun to make emptying it easier and added a wort return to it rather than having to run hose through the lid.

My dad also made a sweet mash paddle out of an old piece of Tassie Oak.

Want to add more shelving for grain bins and bottles and some Rack-It hooks for hose storage.

Brewing a Red Rye IPA tomorrow with homegrown Cascade. Gonna be schweeeet.

med_gallery_21082_1292_225472.jpg

Have just finished welding all the stainless pipework up.

sml_gallery_21082_1292_206011.jpg
sml_gallery_21082_1292_410804.jpg

Also got the Electrical control box finished, which is all ready to be mounted now.

Well I feel a bit insignificant beside all you blokes, here is my setup none the less.

My fermenting fridge (Well, it used to be a fridge).
Doqxl90.jpg

My Keg & Maturation fridge. Front
3IvV6ZU.jpg

& Inside.
OK1sotd.jpg

And finally, The Bar.
PWcfPNM.jpg

was going to like it until i noticed you where a broncos supporter :lol:
but i do like your bar

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1433855116.547191.jpg

Just finished my 20L mini-rig. Willow 15L mash tun with a 9" false bottom. 20L ss pot and my recently refurbished Crown urn will suffice as the HLT.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1433855266.762227.jpg

I've got a 2200w external heating element that I'll dip in the kettle and I think that should all work a treat! Will find out on Thursday brew night. Shame my wort chiller doesn't quite fit the kettle, I'll just have to no-chill it instead.

Edit. I tell a lie, the wort chiller fits perfectly. Not sure why I thought it didn't.

welly2 said:
attachicon.gif

Just finished my 20L mini-rig. Willow 15L mash tun with a 9" false bottom. 20L ss pot and my recently refurbished Crown urn will suffice as the HLT.

attachicon.gif

I've got a 2200w external heating element that I'll dip in the kettle and I think that should all work a treat! Will find out on Thursday brew night. Shame my wort chiller doesn't quite fit the kettle, I'll just have to no-chill it instead.

Edit. I tell a lie, the wort chiller fits perfectly. Not sure why I thought it didn't.
Hey welly2
I have a similar rig for experimental 10l batches. Curious about the fittings you used for the false bottom and valve. Did you have to drill the cooler hole out? Been using a bag and batch sparging but been having problems getting flow( lifting the bag fixes this but thats not ideal). Keen to give your idea a go.

mattyl said:
Hey welly2
I have a similar rig for experimental 10l batches. Curious about the fittings you used for the false bottom and valve. Did you have to drill the cooler hole out? Been using a bag and batch sparging but been having problems getting flow( lifting the bag fixes this but thats not ideal). Keen to give your idea a go.
Actually no drilling at all. My mash tun has been replaced with another 15L mash tun after a slight mixup of false bottoms! See this post: http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/86940-new-mini-mash-tun/

I picked up an Esky 15L cooler from Bunnings and removed the tap and seal. It's a pretty standard drilling and fits any off the shelf 15mm (or is it 1/2"?) parts. Used a 3 piece ball valve, a bulkhead and a hose barb. All went together really easily. The false bottom is a 10" false bottom from ibrew and it couldn't have fit any better.

I'll be doing my first batch tomorrow with it but if the previous mash tun is anything to go on, this should be even better without any grain getting where it shouldn't (ie. under the false bottom) which is the problem I had with the last one. Tested it last night with hot water and the heat loss without any kind of extra insulation went from 64.9c (out of the hot water tap) to 62c in an hour. I'll wrap it in a dooner tomorrow as I did last time where I didn't get any heat loss at all.

welly2 said:
attachicon.gif

attachicon.gif

That is sweet. I might have to copy that. I have most of the stuff lying around.

How big is your crown urn? I have a 10L. May even see if I can hook up a mini herms using a LBP. Will probably have to make up a coil that fits both urn and pot.

20150705_162920 (1280x720).jpg

Upgraded the mash tun today. Now to look into a 3600W element for the HERMS. Might even get to brew sometime this year.

Tested out my new rig yesterday..
Its not flash but seems to work a treat

30L urn = $5
50L HLT + 40L TUN + Big ass kettle with a ring burner = $250
Gravity stand = A carton of beer
60L fermenter = $25

replaced the 50lt HLT with the urn..

used a 2 ring gas burner + a 2400watt submersible element for the kettle..

took some adjusting along its maiden journey BUT i ended up with exactly what i wanted
35L @ 1047, happy with that!

1 leak to fix on the ball valve of the tun..
all in all chuffed!

IMG_1726.JPG

Latest posts

Back