Show us your brewrig

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Browndog, did it in photoshop - drew the arrows and stuff with the shape tools and then got the keg image/graphic from google images I think. Not too much to it, could be done in any image editing or drawing program. Choice of a cool looking font is probably most important thing!

fishy said:
Hi all,

Just made a thread in the DIY section here http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/74654-4v-electric-herms-build/ but thought I'd chuck a couple of photos in here too! Here's my 99% finished rig, brewed for the first time on the weekend on it.

Cheers

Fishy
Pardon my french but that is the sickest ******* controller ever. You should put a tonne of LED's around the edges with things like "Polarity reverser" and "Engage Neutron Shield"

Well its been a couple of years in the making and this is my brew stand which evolved from a 3 tier 3v gravity fed system to a single tier herms system . 20121031_090153.jpg

beer belly said:
Well its been a couple of years in the making and this is my brew stand which evolved from a 3 tier 3v gravity fed system to a single tier herms system .
DO you have a better pic, Beerbelly? Hard to make much out in your photo and I'd like a better look

Does anyone have a link for a some sort of t or y piece to use one gas bottle for two burners. Just trying to sort it out but can't find anything at masters.

kahlerisms said:
DO you have a better pic, Beerbelly? Hard to make much out in your photo and I'd like a better look
Yeah I will try and upload a better one .

gallery_5538_502_58946.jpg

Here is a better image. On the right is the mash tun in the middle is a seven Lt pot for the herms and on the left is the boil kettle , I use a nasa burner from which I get around 5-6 brews out of a 9kg gas bottle . I use a cheap immersion heater in the hx that I have been using for the last few years . I would like to have a second pump for at the moment I transfer the first runnings into a fermenter and then sparge . As with two pumps ideally I could transfer and sparge to and fro from the HLT and MT at the same time. The PID is one from China and works a treat . I use to run an STC 1000 but it would overshoot the temp all the time .

Cheers

20130528_105938.jpg
6kW kettle.
20130530_111837.jpg
inside.
20121211_124815.jpg
6kW HLT
20121211_124832.jpg
1kW Mash tun
20130825_153852.jpg

2012-03-17-keskus-06.jpg
Control cabinet. When I got it.
20130825_154202.jpg
And now.
20121217_142644.jpg

20121129_122833.jpg
And inside.
2011-11-23-panimo-01.jpg
HLT and Mashtun. Kettle peep at right part.
(These pictures are all not of this day photos.)

Workflow:

I deside how much I use strike water and which temperature and input that to machine.
I push "Take Water in" button and go to milling malt.
Water start warming at setpoint when water level is above heater elements.
When malt is milled and water is ready, I start flow water to masch tun.
When water level is above false bottom, I start feed malt in mashtun too. I also start stirrer.
When all malt and water in in to mashtun I check rest temperature and close mashtun lid.
Then I take second water to HLT and adjust right temperature to next step. I ususally use one saccarification temperature and mash out.
That 1kW is enough to even raise temperature in mashtun, but I normally not do that. But yes, I are tested it.
I can use stirrer all the time but now I make couple last brews like stirring everything to smooth and then recirculate. Wort is much clearer with taht way.
When first rest is ready, I flow next water to mashtun. And take sparge water to HLT. This point I least start recirculating
Then I open valve to kettle. Start sparging etc.
I fist use 4kW power but after halfway I start using full 6kW and go back 4kW when rolling boil is started.
Hop schedule depens recipe.
When boiling is ready I shut down heaters.
I open kettle valve and start pumping that boiling hot wort throught my Therminator to lastime sterilisation.
Then I start taking water to HLT beacuse my income water goes throught Theminator.
When HLT is full I must change water flow to drain. But I collect warm wash water even littlebit.
I have a drilled well so water from there is ~4°C. That means quite rapid chilling

Sizes of vessels is something like 80 L HLT, 80 L Mashtun and 90 L Kettle.

I have one pressure valve to take water. Three motorized ball valves. First one to drain water from HLT. Second drain wort to kettle. And last one drain kettle to fermenter.
I have two pumps, one to recirculate and drain mashtun and one to recirculate and drain kettle. HLT drain with gravity.
I have two stir motors one with HLT and one with Mashtun.
I can take off mashtun and HLT if I want when I need only kettle. So all works independently.

What next:
I made HOPmatic to automated hop scheduling.
I automatized recipe handling. So I need only crush malt and put it in to mashtun and push start. Then I can go to work or sleep or what else.
Because of SSR:s there is not big noises. Only "PAM" heard when I start machine. Rest noise is motor "Swirrr" and Valves "naks" or "srsrsrsr". =)

What you like?

Just starting to gather up the parts to upgrade from BIAB to 3V
At this point I'm looking at;
a 50L Keggle for my HLT
48L bunnings icebox as the mashtun
and an 18 gallon keg for the kettle
20131008_173423.jpg

Wanting to mostly do single batches but will look at pushing out doubles for parties or low ABV session beers for quaffing during summer
I've got about $500 put away for the upgrade, I was thinking about building a single tier stand, but the stainless table and existing stand from my BIAB rig will do for now (can upgrade later)
I'm thinking at the moment for the electrics a Keg King 2200W element to power HLT, either a PID or STC1000 to control the HLT and a keg king green pump to transfer between vessels

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Made a start last night on the HLT upgrade, I wanted to increase my volume, old HLT could have done the trick with some faffing on brewday but then I wouldnt have got a build :)

1 Pot.JPG

New Ali 70l pot, fitted 3 piece BV and bottom of Sight tube

2 SG.JPG

Top of sight tube fitted.. slightly (1mm) too high as the lid sits on the thread.. meh

3 mount pump.JPG

Mounted the recirc pump (still need to make and fit the pickup for it)

4 return.JPG

Its all in a better position than the last HLT for the stand system I use now.

5 Pickups.JPG

Still need to fit that pump pickup

6 Rig.JPG

The rig as it will be, Im planning on finishing up the stand too, clad and paint, hide wires etc.

Ive bought the insulation for the HLT and may re do the HEX in the same stuff just so it all matches. Overall, pretty pleased with how this rig is progressing, I should be able to pump out 4 x 20l cubes at a time so will really get bang for buck on brewday :beerbang:

:icon_cheers:

*ed: typo

What do you have connected to your temp probe yob? looks like a good setup you will have there. :)

Yob, looks like you have 2 stc. One for HLT what's the other one for?

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

_WALLACE_ said:
What do you have connected to your temp probe yob? looks like a good setup you will have there. :)
2 RCA Jacks so the STC can be easily disconnected and the kettle moved for a wash without dismantling or disturbing the pump.

SimoB said:
Yob, looks like you have 2 stc. One for HLT what's the other one for?
For the HEX unit mate, one dedicated to each task.

:icon_cheers:

Oh cool, I'm fairly new to the larger set ups. Assuming that's for recirculating the mash?

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

SimoB said:
Oh cool, I'm fairly new to the larger set ups. Assuming that's for recirculating the mash?
Correct :) Step mashing is so easy :ph34r:

...So I pulled the HLT all apart to fit the insulation and re assembled and now Ive got this, only need to fit a pickup for the recirc pump and fix 1 minor leak. and shied round the handles.

ed: oh and mark the 10lt increments...

HLT VII.JPG

HLT VII

:beerbang: :super:

sp0rk said:
Just starting to gather up the parts to upgrade from BIAB to 3V
At this point I'm looking at;
a 50L Keggle for my HLT
48L bunnings icebox as the mashtun
and an 18 gallon keg for the kettle
attachicon.gif
20131008_173423.jpg

Wanting to mostly do single batches but will look at pushing out doubles for parties or low ABV session beers for quaffing during summer
I've got about $500 put away for the upgrade, I was thinking about building a single tier stand, but the stainless table and existing stand from my BIAB rig will do for now (can upgrade later)
I'm thinking at the moment for the electrics a Keg King 2200W element to power HLT, either a PID or STC1000 to control the HLT and a keg king green pump to transfer between vessels
Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated :)
with the 80 ltr kettle I would look at n 80 ltr esky, that way you can do tripples of 5.5% and doubles of 8%+

You can still do tripples with the 50 it just may mean 3 or 4 batch sparges.

G,day all.today using my Ipad I shot a video of my "brew rig",grain mill and brew cave.
Decided to video it to try and cover the 3 topical threads in one because posting pictures with descriptions for each topic would take too long and doing so is honestly beyond me (technology is nowhere near my ability).
So what I am asking is this.I tried to post the vid ( 13+ mins) here but the IPad ,whatever told me it was too long and gave me options,one of which is to post on YouTube.
If I post this vid on Youtube how does it get directed to AHB which is where I want it to be available.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, C,mon help this tech useless idiot out.

Just gunna trot down to the brew cave( no internet in the cave) and sink a few and will check back later.

....cheers in advance...spog.....

Sent from my IPad using my fingers and pressing the post button. he he he....

Not that tech savvy but couldn't you just copy and paste the address bar location of your youtube vid into a post in this thread?

Now I'm going to the shed for a top up.

djar007 said:
Does anyone have a link for a some sort of t or y piece to use one gas bottle for two burners. Just trying to sort it out but can't find anything at masters.
I got a brass "T" piece from BBQ's Galore (or the like) & was able to run two 4-ring burners off a single 45Kg bottle. If I can figure out how, I'll take a piccie & post it later.

Latest posts

Back