SE QLD Xmas-in-28th of June 2014

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to thread bomb angus. I found that 20-21 is where banana starts to really come in, especially with 3368 (I couldn't get any 3068 last time I brewed a weiss).

WB06 was painful for getting any banana - I got nothing but clove at 18 degrees.

As a comparison, T-58 at 21 gives me lots of banana/bubblegum.

Hello LRG!!

No worries about the thread bomb, I do it all the time. Huh, maybe I should start apologizing for it as well. he he...

I don't think Liam was all that pleased with the lack of normal yeast characters using WB06 and was talking about using 3068 next time as well. His beer was freaking delicious, but not much weizen character coming through.

I think I might set the ferment temp at 18.5 degrees. There was slight banana aromas and my ferment was 17.5. Slowly increase the ferment temp until I get the levels I'm after. I think this might become a house beer. It's a nice gentle beer with some good flavours coming through.

I'll need a pan or something to sit the fermentor in when increasing the ferment temp. 17.5 degrees resulted in a puke fest so it can only get worse. :D

Cheers,
Angus.

yeah I echo LRG's comments re WB06 - down low it's all cloves, push it up and you get a kind of tart tangyness. As far as dry yeasts go - the new mangrove jacks bavarian wheat is supposed to be legit. That said - I wanted to push the cloves in this one because I thought it would go with the ham hock-like cherrywood smoke. Turns out it was completely drowned out & I would have been better off using a proper hefe yeast and pushing the esters, which may have been able to cut through.

Liam_snorkel said:
yeah I echo LRG's comments re WB06 - down low it's all cloves, push it up and you get a kind of tart tangyness. As far as dry yeasts go - the new mangrove jacks bavarian wheat is supposed to be legit. That said - I wanted to push the cloves in this one because I thought it would go with the ham hock-like cherrywood smoke. Turns out it was completely drowned out & I would have been better off using a proper hefe yeast and pushing the esters, which may have been able to cut through.
Exactly what I got with WB06 - a kind of weird tarty tanginess, and not a pleasant Saison type either.

I used 3368 in a RauchRoggenWeiss and it worked some really nice bananas at 20-21. The beer wasn't fantastic (my fault with a funky grist, the rauch was wrong for the bananas for me and too much), but happy with the yeast.

I'd like to see how the MJ Bavarian goes, given how much good esters I got M79 to throw out. I know others have had some "belgian" stuff thrown by M79, but I used it on a low grav mild and it was perfect. Then repitched, so we'll see how that all goes.

One dried yeast of a vaguely similar variety I am happy with is T-58. I did a lightish (about 5-5.5% off memory) belgian blonde (very blonde) with mainly pils malt, a teeny bit of cara and a bit of Sylva for bittering. Pushed the T-58 to 21 degrees and it produced a really nice, bubblegum pineapple chunk banana-ey lolly type of vibe but still dropped dead clear. Really genuinely happy with it and it's now a staple in my freezer for something different to US and UK yeasts.

So what's the go for the Chrissy swap? I will put my place down as a venue if we have no other takers but happy for someone else would like to host.

Cheers

Hey look at my new case swap shirt! Can you see yours in there?

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1407227568.867363.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1407227620.303421.jpg

It just gets better and better Snow!

Has anyone got the recipe for the salsa that one of the toosoba members made for the night?

That would be Robv aydos. I don't think he has a recipe as such but hit him up I'm sure he will give you some pointers.

Latest posts

Back