Rice Malt Syrup From Coles?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone used palm sugar in a stout or porter? Real palm sugar is dark brown, soft and crumbly. You should be able poke it with your fingernail and it will leave a mark. Avoid the pale stuff, it's coconut juice and cane sugar.

The real palm sugar (from Palmyra Palms) has an almost molasses taste with a strong smoky flavour (they reduce the palm tree sap over wood fires).

In south east Asian and parts of India they use the sugar to make Toddy. A distilled drink with a taste somewhere between whiskey and rum.

Would go nicely in a smoked stout :icon_drool2:

I think it would be well worth the experiment in anything from from a Brown Ale upwards. I thing it would be very interesting in a wee heavy, or strong Old Ale.

Interesting thing about palm sugar is that, well, it doesn't taste as sweet as you think it would is comparison to other reduced sugar like golden syrup etc.

Give it a go! ( as I caste my eyes thoughtfully towards my pantry.....)

Can anyone give me some rough guidelines for my "kung fu panda lager"?

Og, and IBU is all i need really.
I did a Tsingtao clone last year. Was 1042 OG and 25 or so IBU off the top of my head. Basically use any German hop combination, after all, it was the Germans who taught beer making to the Chinese and Japanese. I was shooting to match the 'good' Tsingtao in China and not the one we get out here. Came reasonably close in flavour, but colour was too dark. Will probably go with Extra Pale or Pilsener Malt next time. Used S-05 yeast. The rice adds a nice dryness to it.

Interesting thing about palm sugar is that, well, it doesn't taste as sweet as you think it would is comparison to other reduced sugar like golden syrup etc.

Give it a go! ( as I caste my eyes thoughtfully towards my pantry.....)
I've been thinking about this one for a while, but there's a certain warmth to it that I can't figure out how to work with, from a hopping point of view at least.

Maybe something to try with a Belgian yeast?

Cheers - Fermented.

Because I work in Chinatown and regularly buy Palm sugar it occurred to me last year that I might go well in a brew, and I started a thread here about last August. However the opinion was that most brands contain too much oil that would be a head-killer.

I have a bunch of the dried blocks of it. It's like little brown hockey pucks and a total b*stard to to use in cooking. Mortar and pestle is near useless... Maybe military mortar? :D

Just had a look at the pot of palm sugar in the cupboard. It's marked as 'pure palm sugar' and smells kinda like strange dense honey. There doesn't appear to be any oil in it and there's no coconut oil scent. Yellow label with black text, made in Thailand, $2.10 per kilo. I'll whack some in some water over night and see what floaties (oil?) comes off it...

Cheers - Fermented.

I have a bunch of the dried blocks of it. It's like little brown hockey pucks and a total b*stard to to use in cooking. Mortar and pestle is near useless... Maybe military mortar? :D

Just had a look at the pot of palm sugar in the cupboard. It's marked as 'pure palm sugar' and smells kinda like strange dense honey. There doesn't appear to be any oil in it and there's no coconut oil scent. Yellow label with black text, made in Thailand, $2.10 per kilo. I'll whack some in some water over night and see what floaties (oil?) comes off it...

Cheers - Fermented.

I love palm sugar.... it usually has a layer of wax covering the top!

Checked out the syrup in Chinatown yesterday, 500g tubs for $2 - I'll pick up a few today and try them. I reckon they would go great in a bye bye Sol Trujillo brew :icon_cheers:

3.5 kg Galaxy
1 kg rice
500g 'maltose' syrup

12 g Galena 60 mins
12 g Galena 10 mins at the risk of totally overhopping :lol:

US 05

Seventeen bucks the lot but you should see the price of bloody limes at the moment :unsure:

Newcastle Brown also uses 'syrup' and brewers sugar in the recipe so I might even use the syrup as a tryout for a comp I'm putting one in.

Has anyone used palm sugar in a stout or porter? Real palm sugar is dark brown, soft and crumbly. You should be able poke it with your fingernail and it will leave a mark. Avoid the pale stuff, it's coconut juice and cane sugar.

The real palm sugar (from Palmyra Palms) has an almost molasses taste with a strong smoky flavour (they reduce the palm tree sap over wood fires).

In south east Asian and parts of India they use the sugar to make Toddy. A distilled drink with a taste somewhere between whiskey and rum.

Would go nicely in a smoked stout :icon_drool2:

I used it in a Barleywine - absolutely lousy beer... but nothing to do with the palm sugar, the flavours it added were quite nice. I'm actually drinking one of them now, and after just about 2 years aging.. its starting to come good (ish) and goodish isn't worth a 2 year wait :(

I was looking for rice syrup in my local safeway for a tsing tao style lager. I couldn't find any so I ended up using rice water from two cups of rice in 5 L (boiled) and 500g rice flour (obviously along with some dextrose etc).

Bought 3 tubs today from a Chinese supermarket in the Valley for $2 per 500g tub :eek: Haven't opened one as I'm not in interested in eating it. I'm putting in an order to Ross tonight, and have a go at a Solly Cerveza with it next week.

Maltose.JPG

Ingredients: rice, water, malt.

Just a wee point. 500g of this is actually more than 500ml because it's dense. Put it this way, home brew kits are labelled 1.7L but in the old days were labelled 1.2 kg which is what they are. So one of these tubs is almost the equivalent of half a tin of Coopers etc goop so I wouldn't want to put more than one tub in a brew for sure.

For a cerveza?

To quote Sir Humphrey, that's "courageous". The fragrance and colour could lead to an interesting style...

I'm rather keen to know how it goes... this could be rather interesting.

Cheers - Fermented.

I'll be interested to see how this turns out.....

Reviving an old thread, but I was wondering what the rice malt syrup adds to the beer that rice alone doesn't - noting Bribie's Solly Cerveza recipe. I am keen to give the recipe a try during the week, but wasn't sure how important the syrup is.

cheers,

Crundle

Crundle,

the short answer is not much. It adds alcohol and a small amount of body, but no flavour.

Cheers,

In that case I will just give the rice alone a try with some Galaxy malt and see how it goes.

Crundle

Latest posts

Back