Rice Malt Syrup From Coles?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:icon_offtopic: Here's a book I wouldnt mind getting linky and according to the review they started using rice as it was the best way of brewing lighter beers from the six row barley available during the 19th century. At the time rice was actually more expensive than barley. Grain of truth there (no pun). Probably the reason they still do it is because their public have grown up on the stuff, exactly why Australian Breweries like Fosters put 30 % sugar in the brew.

Yeah, beer is a thin pale fizzy yellow liquid. If they ditched the rice, colour would be darker, therefore it would become ale instead of beer wouldn't it?

Hey guys, just found some rice malt syrup at coles. I was wondering if it could be used in a rice lager. Im pretty sure its rice LME.

The only ingredient listed is rice, and the label says

"Made by culturing rice with enzymes to breakdown the starches, and then cooking until a syrup".

Also "final product contains maltose, and a small amount of glucose"

Sounds like its mashed then reduced, pretty similar to LME, is it not??

It also says no added sugar, or artificial flavours.

3.60 for 500g

What you guys think??. Im pretty sure this is suitable for use in a rice lager, but i just want to make sure, otherwise i'll eat it on toast, mmmmmm.

MJE - which aisle did you find it in at coles? (don't say aisle 1!)

:icon_offtopic:
Heard someone say the other day 'that they drink Lager, they just don't like draught'

I think you would find it in the health section...

Yes, that's correct. Although I've only seen it in the bigger stores that have a health food section that looks like a shop within a shop... if you know what I mean?

I'll check out the Chinatown shops again at the weekend, if I can get the stuff cheap I might give it a go in a Classic American Lager and see what happens. I've got American hops coming out of my ears at the moment.

Yep, organic isle!!
The rice syrup I used to get from coles was not that fermentable from memory, about 65-70% attenuation as I recall, so it won't give as dry a finish as you might be after. By all means give it a go though as the flavour is quite light.

You can check the fermentability by looking at the nutrition information panel on the jar. The amount of carbohydrates should be about 80% (g/100g) but the amount of sugar (maltose, glugose, fructose etc...) will most likely be lower around the 50% mark, with the remaining carbohydrates being unfermentable dextrins. Compare that to honey or golden syrup in which all (most of the time) the carbohydrates are simple sugars and fermentable.

Also I hate it how manufacturers refer to raw grain extracts as "malt syrup", it's rice syrup not rice malt syrup - the grain has not been malted! :wacko:

Cheers, Andrew.

Hmmm you scared me now, looks like 1kg cooked rice it is. Might have to eat it on toast after all!!

Also I hate it how manufacturers refer to raw grain extracts as "malt syrup", it's rice syrup not rice malt syrup - the grain has not been malted! :wacko:

Cheers, Andrew.

This stuff tastes pretty malty to me.

The only ingredient listed is rice, and the label says

"Made by culturing rice with enzymes to breakdown the starches, and then cooking until a syrup".

Also "final product contains maltose, and a small amount of glucose"
Jake,

You're probably tasting the maltose in it (and that stuff does taste nice undiluted), and mje1980 confirms it is made from rice with added enzymes.

Malted rice actually tastes quite digusting, I know - I have malted and brewed with it. I think it has something to do with the oils in the outer layers going rancid during malting. Probably why they use white rice in brewing and not brown.

Cheers, Andrew.

Ahhh....cool. Thanks for clearing that up. I was wondering how it could taste so malty if it wasnt malted.
Cheers,
Jake

By enzymes, they could be referring to something like using koji which is what is used to turn the starch to sugar when making sake, or perhaps more relevant in this case amazake. Sake brewing does not involve malting the rice in the sense we know it.

rice syrup, corn syrup, half the brewing sugars we use at work (they would be wheat syrup) - all made by chucking bacteria derived enzymes at unmalted grain.

Afro - you should be able to find the rice syrup at pretty much any asian grocery, I've seen it in Coles/Safeway, but I always see it in the Asian shops. Those places are a bonanza for the "can I ferment that?" part of my brain. I've played with tapioca starch (successful) and with arrowroot starch (not so successful) and I can see a lotus root beer in my future one of these days

Has anyone used palm sugar in a stout or porter? Real palm sugar is dark brown, soft and crumbly. You should be able poke it with your fingernail and it will leave a mark. Avoid the pale stuff, it's coconut juice and cane sugar.

The real palm sugar (from Palmyra Palms) has an almost molasses taste with a strong smoky flavour (they reduce the palm tree sap over wood fires).

In south east Asian and parts of India they use the sugar to make Toddy. A distilled drink with a taste somewhere between whiskey and rum.

Would go nicely in a smoked stout :icon_drool2:

Has anyone used palm sugar in a stout or porter? Real palm sugar is dark brown, soft and crumbly. You should be able poke it with your fingernail and it will leave a mark. Avoid the pale stuff, it's coconut juice and cane sugar.

The real palm sugar (from Palmyra Palms) has an almost molasses taste with a strong smoky flavour (they reduce the palm tree sap over wood fires).

In south east Asian and parts of India they use the sugar to make Toddy. A distilled drink with a taste somewhere between whiskey and rum.

Would go nicely in a smoked stout :icon_drool2:

Sijani I think Neonmeate has some experience in that area. He's experimented with various sugars over the years.

Warren -

I'll check out the Chinatown shops again at the weekend, if I can get the stuff cheap I might give it a go in a Classic American Lager and see what happens. I've got American hops coming out of my ears at the moment.

Or is that Classic Asian Lager? :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back