Rice Malt Syrup From Coles?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mje1980

Old Thunder brewery
Reaction score
Hey guys, just found some rice malt syrup at coles. I was wondering if it could be used in a rice lager. Im pretty sure its rice LME.

The only ingredient listed is rice, and the label says

"Made by culturing rice with enzymes to breakdown the starches, and then cooking until a syrup".

Also "final product contains maltose, and a small amount of glucose"

Sounds like its mashed then reduced, pretty similar to LME, is it not??

It also says no added sugar, or artificial flavours.

3.60 for 500g

What you guys think??. Im pretty sure this is suitable for use in a rice lager, but i just want to make sure, otherwise i'll eat it on toast, mmmmmm.

Will make for low gluten, but not gluten free beer.

Eat it on toast? WHAT?

Will make for low gluten, but not gluten free beer.

Eat it on toast? WHAT?

Not interested in low gluten mate, i just saw it and thought i'd try a lager with it. It says its a honey replacement, so hey, i'll try it. If not my dogs will eat anything so.......!!

mje It will work. Just don't expect it to be as lightly coloured as mashing actual rice or flakes.

Warren -

Ive bought it to use in malted smoothies in the past. Yummm.

At $7.20 per kg it's not cheaper than rice either. I made a nice pale rice lager in summer 07/08 just by overcooking 500g of rice and chucking it in the mash.

Here's what Beer Tools has to say about rice syrup.

"Used like other rice adjuncts in American and Japenes lagers to provide a dry, clean taste and light body. Adds gravity without changing body or flavor substantially. Use in place of corn sugar in small quantities."

So a light quaffer-style lager would be the obvious use for this one.

It's a replacement for golden syrup isnt it???? probably go well on toast... or if your'e making cookies... not sure about putting it in beer for what you want it for!

Funny this post should come up, just on Saturday I was browsing the big Chinese supermarket in Fortitude Valley Brisbane and came across an identical sounding product called 'Maltose', also in 500g tubs for about the same price as the one you have found. I guess they are the same type of product and (typical of every home brewer I run everthing I see through the filter of 'how could this be adapted to brewing :lol: ) my first thoughts were hmmmmm could be a handy little adjunct.

I work across the street and can pick up a couple of tubs any time. I have used Lyles golden syrup in UK bitters and that turns out nice as well. Since brewing my first APA I'm becoming attracted to US styles and I reckon this product could go nicely in a lighter style APA and allow the US hops to shine through.

It's a replacement for golden syrup isnt it???? probably go well on toast... or if your'e making cookies... not sure about putting it in beer for what you want it for!
I dont think so. Golden Syrup is much sweeter. The Rice Malt is just malty.

Taste may be different but it is used as a replacement in baking cookies etc. Healthier option,.

At $7.20 per kg it's not cheaper than rice either. I made a nice pale rice lager in summer 07/08 just by overcooking 500g of rice and chucking it in the mash.

Rob, is that all that needs to be done with rice, just cooking it before throwing it in the mash?? HOw easy!!, and very cheap!!

Not too cloudy or starchy?

Crystal clear. Mashed with plenty of Pilsner malt.

Rob, is that all that needs to be done with rice, just cooking it before throwing it in the mash?? HOw easy!!, and very cheap!!

Yes, mate. Lots of info on here about cereal mashing. You can use the heat of the rice addition to do a step mash as well.

mje It will work. Just don't expect it to be as lightly coloured as mashing actual rice or flakes.

Warren -

You're right mate, it is the colour of honey, im not fussed about colour, so i'll give it a crack.

Strange coincidence. I saw this or a very similar product yesterday when I brought my pots from an Asian cookware shop.

They are selling it at $1.30 for 500g. $2.60/K.g. is not bad...

Can anyone give me some rough guidelines for my "kung fu panda lager"?

Og, and IBU is all i need really.

Yes, I've done that too, Mark. With a couple CAPs I've used both cooked-to-mush rice and popcorn. Efficiency came out pretty good (75-80%) so I guess that's a good indication that it works. Oh, and the beer tasted great too.

Use a jar of this (500gms I think?) in a brew together with a couple of kilos of LDME, a handful of carapils and some noble hops for a light style Asian lager. Congrats on finding the stuff, I bought some once but since then it's always sold out whenever I've looked for it again. The manufacturers never returned my email enquiries, and it looks like the local mega Coles near me might have even removed it from the shelves now. Brewcraft also sell a similar malt in their Asahi kit, and I think they call it 'Blonde Malt' or something like that.

EDIT: If doing AG then don't both with this stuff, just use cooked medium or short grain rice instead.

Yup, Budwieser, Millers and Coors came up with that one decades ago :lol:

Latest posts

Back