Retail-low Prices

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is ross going to do with all the out of date stuff, hopefully sell it at a great price

Isn't the way to undermine the Ross/Wyeast axis of yeasty-beasties to go open source??

Makes you glad you went to the trouble to supply them & at a good price hey :(

Cheers Ross..... :)

some people are impossible to please ross .. i would have though most would just think , shit good price ill buy , not hey why is this shifty rat selling these things so cheaply he must be getting them for nothing and still making a profit , i thought that was the point of running a business to make a profit so you yourself can live off it , and if possible in the process keep your customers happy ,

i for one am happy with your service and pricing and will continue to shop at craftbrewer

cheers Ned Dryden

I do vaguely remember a converstaion with Ross ages ago when he was just starting his hop selling business.

He commented on the fact that "other" home brew shops where trying to shut him out of the market, by using various legal ( bot not ethical ) means

Obviously it worked.......Ross has gone from strength to strength by providing a service that suits us....not himself..

Its a free market....

I agree.

Ross offers exceptional service and price and thats why a lot of people buy from him. Lets not forget that all retailers have the ability to compete with him and shouldnt whine if they dont like him succeeding. Simple solution, do it better / cheaper than Ross and you will get business dont and he keeps growing. Why ask him to stop growing his business while others catch up. No other industry does, why start here. Apart from that rant, the moneys better in my pocket than his so thanks Ross. ;)

Isn't the way to undermine the Ross/Wyeast axis of yeasty-beasties to go open source??

Everyone, in the public interest, should be making slants and sending them thither and yon.

We could have a yeast slant registry and people could pick up in their own city or send the owner
some chilling thingy and a bag and postage for the yeast to be sent to them.

As a test case Im happy for everyone to send them to me and inturn I will let you know they arrived :D

Cheers BDB

some people are impossible to please ross .. i would have though most would just think , shit good price ill buy , not hey why is this shifty rat selling these things so cheaply he must be getting them for nothing and still making a profit , i thought that was the point of running a business to make a profit so you yourself can live off it , and if possible in the process keep your customers happy ,

i for one am happy with your service and pricing and will continue to shop at craftbrewer

cheers Ned Dryden

a common sense post at last, I'm with you Ned.

Cheers
Yard

Surely there is an opportunity for some enterprising individuals to start packaging and selling their own liquid yeasts in Australia

I'd imagine it'd take a little bit in set up costs but it wouldn't be too hard for people with some lab experience

And the brewing market seems to be ever expanding

Just a thought

Cheers

Cortez,

Short answer, 2 words - Peet Yeast

Ask anyone who has been brewing a few years and they can tell you all about it.

Problem with yeast is that it is not just a matter of having a warehouse full of the suff and you refill little bottles like olive oil or detergent. It is a product that is very hard to propagate properly and keep sterile.

Dave

Sorry Ross ... I was just continuing the sarcastic vein of someone elses comment ...
I think the whole questioning of your motives is silly ... but I still think a yeast exchange is a good idea too!

Its like .. you can buy redhat in a box and that's good (or wyeast from ross and that's good) or download ubuntu, and that's good too (or get some free yeast for a yeast rancher and that's good too).
Each have their pros and cons.

Ross offers exceptional service and price and thats why a lot of people buy from him. Lets not forget that all retailers have the ability to compete with him and shouldnt whine if they dont like him succeeding. Simple solution, do it better / cheaper than Ross and you will get business dont and he keeps growing. Why ask him to stop growing his business while others catch up. No other industry does, why start here.

Nah, you've totally misunderstood the process. Ross should run his business into the ground to satisfy us consumers. He should supply everything at below cost, and we should question his motives while we stock up on these goodies. When his business is declared bankrupt, we should moan about the state of the home brew industry in Australia and question why no-one runs a good homebrew store these days. It'd be un-Australian if we didn't have something to complain about! <_<

So basic economics be damned! I want my yeast for free, but I'll look at the supplier suspiciously and wonder if he bought a new ivory back scratcher from the huge profit he just made. And the supply-demand model should have no relevance in the homebrew industry. Everything should be done for philanthropy - let's all take a leaf out of Bill Gates' book! ;)

Might be an option for someone already running a lab who would want to generate another income stream

Could be started with a couple of popular strains - I don't imagine that it would be a major strain on existing operations

It's interesting on US forums most brewers use a fresh pack of liquid yeast for every batch and harvesting / slanting is unheard of and @ only $5 a pack it's comparable to dry yeast, further the low initial cost negates the savings to be had in yeast farming

I don't think it'd take long to develop a major market share if a comparable RRP could be achieved here

And by making it locally you eliminate excessive shipping costs which retails here have indicated are a major factor in pricing liquid yeast here

Cheers

Darren? At least they would be free of infection :lol:

Batz

Just put the price up to $15.95 Ross and make everyone happy :eek:

Short answer, 2 words - Peet Yeast

:eek: Remember it well bigfridge.

My guess its demise was due to it being the same price as a Wyeast smack pack at the time.

Think if you're going to manufacture locally you've got to at least lower the price accordingly. That being said it was good yeast.

Wouldn't surprise me if there's a couple of tightarse homebrewers down here with generations of the stuff still kicking on. :lol:

Warren -

cheers Ned Dryden

I agree.

Ross offers exceptional service and price and that's why a lot of people buy from him. Let's not forget that all retailers have the ability to compete with him and shouldn't whine if they don't like him succeeding. Simple solution, do it better / cheaper than Ross and you will get business don't and he keeps growing. Why ask him to stop growing his business while others catch up. No other industry does, why start here. Apart from that rant, the moneys better in my pocket than his so thanks Ross. ;)

Cheers BDB

WOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!! Spot on lads. Pretty simple I thought. Good service + good price = my money.

WOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!! Spot on lads. Pretty simple I thought. Good service + good price = my money.

seconded. buy the majority of my gear from ross. only thing i dont is malt pretty much, due to nothing more than shipping. living in tassie makes it hard to get anything decent.

never used a liquid yeast, as i like to order all my stuff from the one place, but now i can get it from ross as well, then i will give a few a go.

keep up the bloody good ross, and every other homebrew store owner out there that does their bit to support the homebrewing community, and not just sell customers a coopers can and a kilo of dextrose and tell them "she'll be right"

Don't worry about the whinging, Ross.
At a good price like that I'll buy a few specialities :) at $15 I probably wouldn't.

Supermarkets have specials,often sold below cost, because if you buy the specials your sure to buy a few other items as well.
A common marketing strategy.

Either way a sensible shopper is the winner.

Batz

Supermarkets have specials,often sold below cost, because if you buy the specials your sure to buy a few other items as well.
A common marketing strategy.

Either way a sensible shopper is the winner.

Batz

The difference being Batz is that Supermarkets never fund the specials - the manufacturers always do.

RM

The difference being Batz is that Supermarkets never fund the specials - the manufacturers always do.

Thats not completley true. Company's (especially in a bottle shop environment) will use "lost litres" (products sold under cost) to upsell other products. This can be done for a number of reasons such as moving old stock, re-instating old "favourites" and moving stock that "won't sell". This happens all the time. Its easily seen in Mr Murphy's all the time....its the reason VB, New, old and XXXX is always overpriced and particulary good wines are sold at crazily low prices....it stimulates the customer (in general) to buy a "bargin" while picking up the "essentials".

RM

That's a highly complex issue and one that depends highly on how you do your accounting. Coke is the best example, because I know the most about the numbers involved.

One two litre bottle of coke yields a profit of a few cents for the store- yes, despite the drink only costing a few cents to make, the store gets charges a fortune for the product by Coke. Whenever it is on special, a loss is made- at times a HUGE loss (I remember once coke cubes being on special and the store was losing something in the order of $6 a unit). As it is mentioned, there is a logic behind this- it gets people in the door to buy other things. The soft drink section of a store rarely makes a profit for this reason.

At the same time, the majority of profit is made for the supermarkets at the state offices, rather than at the stores themselves. There was a year when the state office made a greater profit than all the stores in SA combined. Coke pays the state office a large sum of money (I haven't had access to these numbers, but apparently it's in the ballpark of $100,000). This is to ensure that Coke gets shelf space (notice that Coke has more shelf space than any other drink?), gets the 'premium' end of aisle spaces when it's on special (the stores get told what goes on what ends), and is allowed to send reps into the stores to look out for Coke's interests (make sure they always have a pallet of 2L coke, maintain the planogram, etc)

On a 'net' level, I'm pretty sure that the company ends up ahead. However the store itself is still officially losing money, and of course if the manager doesn't turn a profit (3% is normally a nice net profit over a store) then they get it pretty bad. I remember once the manager of my old store was excited because the store was making a profit for the first time in about 3 years.

Um... I'm done now.

Back