Gerry hates Amazon, so how will it change Home Brew ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roosterboy

Reaction score
Gerry Harvey has recently been warning against Amazon. How it operates on such small margins but in doing so ,
removes the competition. Amazon sells lots of Home Brew equipment. I think the wholesalers and retailers who have
bulk quantities of equipment are going to find life a lot harder when Amazon come here. As Gerry says he will have to
equal them on price and beat them on service. One thing for sure , Aussie wholesalers / retailers will have to look at
their costs and at how they do business.

Everyone has to work harder for less. To have a job at least. Its the times.

Edit: oops didn't answer the question.
I cant think of how it will change my home brewing. Then again I don't buy online for many things. I prefer to buy over the counter. If it hurts those guys then bugger them.

I think I bought some piece of crap cheap product off amazon once, I forget...

Depends if it's apples for apples.
I do mostly online due to my location and a lack of demand in my area equalling lack of shops.
If the quality is there I'll buy from them, if not I'll pay more for better quality elsewhere from a bricks and mortar that delivers also.
It might open the door to new products we've not had access to before, but I doubt it will be a game changer for home brewers apart from price.

I don't want to reduce everything to simplified terms as it's rarely the entire case but the owner of a very profitable retail franchise chain getting up in arms about very real potential competition is hardly surprising. He's not Robin Hood.

Not sure what it has to do with HB.

Also, as slow as I am, what does it mean that Amazon is 'coming to Australia?' I can access amazon products now. Is it in terms of businesses from where they draw their stock now including Australia?

Gerry is a success story. I'm sure he's worked hard and he'd see the threat to the business he has, but he's attacking a successful business model. He's not got rich on charity. But he should be worried about the stores he's sold franchises for and the returns he expects for his name. His appearance on the project tonight was interesting. Seemed to be a change in his confidence and tone when the microscope was turned on his business model and how his efforts have affected smaller players...

Cant wait to see Amazon Aus arrive,i usually go to the small retailers and ask if they will price match,if its the same product and they agree
then they get the sale.Poor Jerry trying to protect his millions.

wide eyed and legless said:
The biggest reason for Gerry's success is how he convinces the punters they are buying the goods interest free! :lol:
Yes interest free except for all the extra charges cheaper to pay the interest total con.

It's not even like the Amazon idea is a new one. Asian shops have been doing that forever. High volume, low markup.

Gery Harvey pissing and moaning that he didn't think of it first. Nothing to see here.

*Wiki*
In January 2011 Harvey was embroiled in a widely condemned campaign backed by a number of bricks and mortar Australian retailers to scrap tax rules that allow Australians to shop on overseas websites without paying GST

Poor old Jerry...There is one man who does not like competition, and likes to take the money from those that cant afford it with his finance to buy his goods

**** him

manticle said:
I don't want to reduce everything to simplified terms as it's rarely the entire case but the owner of a very profitable retail franchise chain getting up in arms about very real potential competition is hardly surprising. He's not Robin Hood.

Not sure what it has to do with HB.

Also, as slow as I am, what does it mean that Amazon is 'coming to Australia?' I can access amazon products now. Is it in terms of businesses from where they draw their stock now including Australia?
Just for the record I'm no fan of Gerry Harvey. From my understanding it will be a massive online shop with it's products , sourced from around the world( some local , but it's own brands including lots of US brands).
But the products will already be here in Oz , in some warehouse. So not the long wait. The products brought in by the shipping container load to make up for freight/ currency exchange costs.

What Gerry "I have a billion dollar horse stud so I should not be complaining about going broke" Harvey isn't saying is that retailers can sell their goods through Amazon so no one has anything to be worried about...
I'll still be buying the majority of my supplies from my LHBS, but pots, oddball fittings etc I'll be getting from Amazon
All hail lord Amazon

Gerry is the one that whinged about bring stuff from overseas and we wern't paying gst on it..he got his way..i have used amazon a few times,got my o-rings and some dvd sets.Harvrey Norman what do they sell mostly electricial goods and furniture..nothing to do with home brew at the moment

Fridge?

Is this the same Gerry Harvey that was crying about paying up to 42 p/h* for Sunday rates for retailers?
Is he also a stand-up comic?

* A nonsense figure pulled from fantasy land.

DU99 said:
Gerry is the one that whinged about bring stuff from overseas and we wern't paying gst on it..he got his way..i have used amazon a few times,got my o-rings and some dvd sets.Harvrey Norman what do they sell mostly electricial goods and furniture..nothing to do with home brew at the moment
They sell the Brewart(if you call that brewing) and the Williamswarn.

wide eyed and legless said:
The biggest reason for Gerry's success is how he convinces the punters they are buying the goods interest free! :lol:
I feel I must play devils advocate here. Gerry's not holding a gun at anybodys head and forcing them to upgrade to a state-of-the-art 4G tv from that poxy 2016 HD unit either. You can actually pay for goods in cash rather than credit. Yes, I know it sounds amazing, but its true.
Not his fault we're addicted to consumerism and living beyond our means.

Latest posts

Back