RecipeDB - Strawbeery 2007

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds good to me!!
Might bump this up the list a little :D

This sounds like fun.
Not having ever made a wheat beer, what would make a good equivalent from an extract point of view? Could you use a tin of wheat extract and a tin of light?

Just quickly knocked this together for you in beersmith. I am a little rusty with extract so you'll have to forgive me.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 21.00 L
Boil Size: 25.69 L
Estimated OG: 1.042 SG
Estimated Color: 14.3 EBC
Estimated IBU: 15.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.70 kg Wheat Liquid Extract (15.8 EBC) Extract 56.67 %
1.20 kg Pale Liquid Extract (15.8 EBC) Extract 40.00 %
0.10 kg Carared (39.4 EBC) Grain 3.33 %
20.00 gm Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.60 %] (60 min)Hops 11.4 IBU
10.00 gm Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.60 %] (30 min)Hops 4.4 IBU
1 Pkgs Bavarian Wheat (Wyeast Labs #3638) Yeast-Wheat

Alot of wheat extract tins are a 60/40 Wheat/Ale malt mix, so if you want use 2 tins, then add whatever specialty malts you like (look up steeping).

Cheers SJ

That's right SJ forgot about :rolleyes: that so maybe sub the pale in the above for extra wheat extract. Actually makes it a simple recipe.

Chap Chap

Sounds good.
Would I get away with using a darker specialty malt?? I have JMW Crystal, Caraaroma and Caramunich III at my disposal.

Sounds good.
Would I get away with using a darker specialty malt?? I have JMW Crystal, Caraaroma and Caramunich III at my disposal.

Sure you would NME. Caraaroma would be my pick but I'm addicted to the damn stuff. Any one of those specialties would be fine IMO.

personally i don't think you need a specialty in wheat (though you can't argue with the positive feedback about the original recipe!). My wheats are either 60/40 or 50/50 wheat/ale malt. However if you use a specialty malt make sure it is the steeping kind, otherwise you will require some base malt to perform a mini-mash (no problems in doing this).

As you've listed cara- above these should be fine for steeping. May try some cara-munich, but not too much.

Cheers SJ

Thanks guys.
My first brew using caraaroma will be ready in a couple of weeks, so I'll wait to see how much I like it :p
Will report back once I've got this going.

personally i don't think you need a specialty in wheat (though you can't argue with the positive feedback about the original recipe!). My wheats are either 60/40 or 50/50 wheat/ale malt. However if you use a specialty malt make sure it is the steeping kind, otherwise you will require some base malt to perform a mini-mash (no problems in doing this).

As you've listed cara- above these should be fine for steeping. May try some cara-munich, but not too much.

Cheers SJ
It's fine to ignore the 50g in the original recipe. It isn't really needed, although I'm sure I had a very good reason at the time, like 50g of grain sitting in a bag or something...
It may even be just because I was trying to reproduce the original recipe.

This beer was originally a kit and then an extract beer. The recipe in the database was the first AG version.
The extract version used either a tin of wheat extract and some dried wheat malt, or else just two tins of wheat extract, I don't have the recipe to hand. These tins are usually barley/wheat already.
You can add some steeped grain or do a mini-mash if wanted. Caramunich would be a good choice. I like cara-aroma but I'm not sure if the flavour would sit well against the strawberries.

I do my fruit wheats 60/40 or 50/50 mostly these days, occasionally subbing in some munich.

Found it. The first two versions both used 1.5 Coopers Wheat Extract, 1kg something, Morgans Master Blend Wheat or Wheat DME, and some dextrose.
Hop with a noble hop or similar.
So Chappo's version below is close enough to the original extract versions.

After feeling depressed this week as a result of the SO2/strawberry incident i decided to take a hydro reading.

It was 1.010 when i racked onto the strawbs, a week later its 1.016.

Colour is still the typical pale weizen, not even a hint of colour from the strawbs. I was about to cry when i copped a whiff. That's not what a weizen smells like.

Had a taste and wow, strawberry. Tart but definitely a strawberry flavour.

I'll just tell people i used an heirloom variety such as Fraises Des Bois :lol:

After feeling depressed this week as a result of the SO2/strawberry incident i decided to take a hydro reading.

It was 1.010 when i racked onto the strawbs, a week later its 1.016.

Colour is still the typical pale weizen, not even a hint of colour from the strawbs. I was about to cry when i copped a whiff. That's not what a weizen smells like.

Had a taste and wow, strawberry. Tart but definitely a strawberry flavour.

I'll just tell people i used an heirloom variety such as Fraises Des Bois :lol:
I don't know if I mentioned this elsewhere but for a fruit that is so colourful and ready to stain things you don't really get colour from them in the beer. I've used 4kgs and gotten only a hint of the beginnings of what might have been pink, whereas 1kg of rasberries will colour the beer like nothing else.
One mate of mine actually added colouring just so the beer was 'the right colour'...

Latest posts

Back