RecipeDB - Strawbeery 2007

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bconnery

Share and Enjoy
Reaction score

Strawbeery 2007

Wheat - Weizen/Weissbier
All Grain
* * * * * 3 Votes

Brewer's Notes

Additional ingredients are the new safwheat WB06 yeast and 4kgs of fresh strawberries...
This is a great summer beer and a family favourite with beer drinkers and non beer drinkers alike...
You need at least 2kgs of strawberries. The riper the better. I buy jamming boxes from a growers market during the height of the season...
The strawberries go into secondary for a week or so. Then I rack to another fermenter for a day or so to let it settle out a little more so no fruit bits get through, hopefully...
This is the first AG version of what has been a yearly beer...

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
2.6 kg BB Wheat Malt
1 kg BB Pale Malt
0.7 kg Weyermann Munich I
0.05 kg Weyermann Carared

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
35 g Hallertauer Hersbrucker (Pellet, 4.0AA%, 60mins)
20 g Hallertauer Hersbrucker (Pellet, 4.0AA%, 30mins)

Yeast

12 g DCL Yeast WB-06 - German Wheat
23L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.041 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.012 (calc)
  • Bitterness 23.9 IBU
  • Efficiency 70%
  • Alcohol 3.76%
  • Colour 8 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 7 days
  • Secondary 7 days
  • Conditioning 1 days

tasted one of my bottles of this (the rest is kegged). definitely need really ripe strawberries for this. i recon if I had better strawbs then it would have been great.

Well after much internal debate I've decided that this recipe is going to be my "getting back up on the horse" brew. This Hefe fits the bill all round but just a few questions Ben if you have the time? You know I have been a fanof your brews for some time especially your fruit beers. As I don't have any fruit or for that matter jam strawberries do think that those fruit extracts you can get from Crafties would do it justice? Also don't want 40lts of fruit beer so does the recipe stand nicely as a Hefe alone? It looks like it will but I must admit I have only made 1 Hefey before and I bastardised it with Rye. It was a good beer but my experience in this style is some what limited.

Any helpwould be appreciated!

Chap Chap

Hi Chap,

I reckon by the looks of the base beer it would stand on it's own quite nicely (i imagine your splitting it into 2 x20 ltr batches?). Last night i brewed a hefe (50% wheat malt, 50% pils malt 14 IBU of hallertau @ 60). Wheats are pretty straightforward IMHO, just use a nice wheat yeast to give it that real hefe character.

No advice re the fruit concentrate/syrups.

Cheers SJ

Cheers SJ! Going with the 3056. Plus I NEED BEER FAST hence the backflip (Krudd fu style move) to a Hefe.

I bought the blueberry syrup/extract to try yesterday. I guess I thought it would add something different to the brew and possible match the festive fair of the day.

Cheers

Chap Chap

Cheers SJ! Going with the 3056. Plus I NEED BEER FAST hence the backflip (Krudd fu style move) to a Hefe.

I bought the blueberry syrup/extract to try yesterday. I guess I thought it would add something different to the brew and possible match the festive fair of the day.

Cheers

Chap Chap

Chappo, I have tried both the Blueberry and Raspberry Extract and wasn't very happy with the results.
The fruit flavour didn't blend into the beer as well as using fresh fruit and it detracted from the taste of the beer rather than complimenting it. The blueberry tasted like fruit loops and the raspberry didn't have the tartness I was expecting, in short they tasted like a Flavour additive rather than fruit.
I would try a sample first in a glass of beer to see if you like it before adding to the keg.

Cheers
Andrew

Thanks Andrew! I had initially thought that might be the case but then over thunk it and bought it anyway. Damn was hoping it would be ok but I trust your word. Hmmm might have to go to the fruit market and find some just over right fruit. Problem is it's all stone fruit ATM. What's are your thoughts on Mangoes and or Cherries? Bought some cherries yesterday for me and the kids and they were sweet, plump and flavoursome but not cheap. Why do I do everything in a rush?

i think your goignt o have trouble replicqating the frshness/real fruit flavour chaps. my batch didnt have enough kick for my likeing but the thing that got it over the line was the real fruit taste.

split the recipe at fermentation and do 2 flavours. nothing wrong with a cherry (even split 5L of one batch, add pits etc and make a kriek).

mango would be nice or plum.

I'd love to see how a Mango wheat would taste, love mangoes myself and think it would be nice but I haven't tried it before.
Supra-jims idea sounds like it would be good to, and cheaper than cherries as well.

Andrew

.........................I would try a sample first in a glass of beer to see if you like it before adding to the keg.

Cheers
Andrew

Chappo, this is how your mate Jamil recommends adding extract, use a syringe to measure an exact amount say 2-3ml per 100 of beer and taste it, when you have that right, you then scale up to keg volume

Paul

Ok I'm off to Mal Meninga's fruit barn to see if I con some over ripe fruit off the tight wadded MASSIVE unit. If I don't post in the WAYB II thread this afternoon I am either bleeding in the corner of his shop or I'm at the pub having a beer with him betting on the GG's LOL!

I must say I leaning towards the mangoes myself.

Sorry to Ben if this has been too OT but I will be using the base recipe just not the fruit! :icon_cheers:

The base recipe makes a nice hefe. They generally aren't all that complex base wise anyway.
I'd select a different yeast for the fruit beer myself if you are splitting it anyway. I like wb06 fermented cool for a fruit, or k97. Nothing that will give the banana you might want for a hefe, depending on preference.

Another fruit option I've used a few times is the frozen berries from the supermarket. They've been on special a lot recently.
My mixed berry hefeweizen is also in the recipe database.
The trick as always is to get the right amount of fruit. The mixed berry Gourmet brand has some red currants and other tarter fruit in there so you don't need heaps. I used 1.3kgs but 1-1.5 of a berry mix is sufficient.

Mango hefe is another on my planned list, I had one in the UK, of all places, that was a nice balance of fruit flavour while remaning beery, as some of the syrupy sweet ones can be.

I'm generally not a fan of the extracts or syrups. I think fresh is best when it comes to fruit beers.
That being said, I've tasted a few recently that did achieve a good flavour with syrups, but they've been on other bases, darker bigger beers.

i think your goignt o have trouble replicqating the frshness/real fruit flavour chaps. my batch didnt have enough kick for my likeing but the thing that got it over the line was the real fruit taste.

split the recipe at fermentation and do 2 flavours. nothing wrong with a cherry (even split 5L of one batch, add pits etc and make a kriek).

mango would be nice or plum.

What scale of strawbs to beer would you recommend BC?

I am planning on having a crack at this and have access to 2nds strawbs for jam.

I was planning on 4kg for 19L

Thanks Ben!
K79 I can do. Depending on availability I reckon I'll go the mango option. As per DrS how much fruit would you reccommend to say 23lt? Having never done a fruit beer what FG should I expect with the fruit adjunct? I guess that will depend on the amount of fructose available but a ball park if you can?

Chap Chap

Since i have never made a fruit beer (made Barls raspberry cyser) so not sure how to go about the fruit addition.

Plan was to rack after primary onto strawbs that have been frozen, thawed out and lightly swished with potato masher.

Do i keep secondary at same temp as primary in this case? Then rack after x days and cc etc?

Since i have never made a fruit beer (made Barls raspberry cyser) so not sure how to go about the fruit addition.

Plan was to rack after primary onto strawbs that have been frozen, thawed out and lightly swished with potato masher.

Do i keep secondary at same temp as primary in this case? Then rack after x days and cc etc?

4kgs in 19L will be good. That's around what I did last.
I freeze, thaw and lightly mash with a potato masher...
I add them to the end of primary rather than secondary so I can then rack again to help get the fruit off the beer...
I then do a secondary in the fridge to really drop out the last bits of pulp because you don't want them in your keg or bottle...

Good news! Brewed this last night most things went to plan. The aroma in the brewery was magnificent and the wort tasted great. Effiency was up high again 92%, I actually find this annoying as I had set the eff in BS to 85%, so ended up with an SG of 1.052. I had planned to be around your 1.041 so had to adjust the hopping to suit on the fly again. Split the batch into 2 25lt cubes and no-chilled over night. Just popped the cubes into the fridges to bring them down to pitching temp this morning and I am hoping to pitch these later on today.

After hunting thru the local fruito I decided that the mangoes were the go as the strawberries were very expensive, so ended up getting 6kgs of mangoes guessing that a 1/3rd of the weight would be seed and skin hopefully leaving me with 4kg of flesh.

BC I am guessing that end of primary means once the high krausen starts to die back? Also I am guessing that I basically dump the frozen/pulped fruit straight into the primary fermenter then rack to secondary once FG has been achieved? I know, I know basic stuff but I really am looking forward to having a smashing connery-esque fruit beer to enjoy over the holidays.

BC I am guessing that end of primary means once the high krausen starts to die back? Also I am guessing that I basically dump the frozen/pulped fruit straight into the primary fermenter then rack to secondary once FG has been achieved?

Chap Chap, you are on the money there mate. Within 5 points or so of FG would be when I would be racking onto the fruit. Or just dump the fruit into the primary... depends really on whether you want to reuse the yeast cake.

I tend to add fruit after the Krausen has subisided, so the yeast is less likely to strip the flavours of the fruit.

Out of interest, are you pasturising the fruit? immerse in some 70 degree water will help - that was Fourstar's and my method on a recent rasberry wheat beer.

Chap Chap, you are on the money there mate. Within 5 points or so of FG would be when I would be racking onto the fruit. Or just dump the fruit into the primary... depends really on whether you want to reuse the yeast cake.

I tend to add fruit after the Krausen has subisided, so the yeast is less likely to strip the flavours of the fruit.

Out of interest, are you pasturising the fruit? immerse in some 70 degree water will help - that was Fourstar's and my method on a recent rasberry wheat beer.

Yeah like he said.
I do it because I have the extra step of chilling, rather than worrying about the yeast cake.

So mine is:
Ferment
Add fruit near end of primary ( I dont' measure, I just do it after a week generally)
Leave for a week.
Chill and rack to secondary
Chill and leave that for a few days
Rack to tertiary (for want of a better term) to bottle/keg

My method of pasteurising is to freeze and then defrost in the microwave/boiling water.
I don't know if that does work but I've never worried. The alcohol and CO2 will work enough for me...

Latest posts

Back