RecipeDB - Strawbeery 2007

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I have added mango pulp as of last night to one fermenter. Hydro was reading 1018. Hydro sample of the unadulterated Hefe was friggin awesome. Ben, this is a champion Hefe recipe without the fruit but I still can't wait to try the MangyHefeWhatsit when it's done. Thanks for sharing this one mate. :)

Chap Chap

The base recipe makes a nice hefe. They generally aren't all that complex base wise anyway.
I'd select a different yeast for the fruit beer myself if you are splitting it anyway. I like wb06 fermented cool for a fruit, or k97. Nothing that will give the banana you might want for a hefe, depending on preference.

I have got this thing about using liquid yeast. What wyeast liquid would be the go? Heading off to my HBS shortly. As has been stated as well, I would like to try and keep the esters to a minimum. My fermentation fridge has only recently packed up and gone home :angry:. Its going to be a little difficult to control my fermentation how I want it even if it is inside my underground bunker. Thanks to Smurto I have my 4kg of Strawberry's on stand by :) .

BYB

BYB

WARNING: I am no Hefe expert this is my first venture here in Hefe/Fruit beer world.

However I used a blend of 3638 Bavarian Wheat and 1010 American Wheat. Long story short Crafties didn't have 2 packets of 3638 Bavarian Wheat and I couldn't be assed to build a starter up. So after much debate with Mothballs I blended the two wyeasties. I have got to say it tastes really nice without being over the top fruity/bananna esters I was expecting. I suspect the 1010 is the main culprit here from what I have read but I haven't brewed with this yeast by itself ok. I am going to dump onto this yeast cake another batch, I am happy with the results thus far.

Chap Chap

I have got this thing about using liquid yeast. What wyeast liquid would be the go? Heading off to my HBS shortly. As has been stated as well, I would like to try and keep the esters to a minimum. My fermentation fridge has only recently packed up and gone home :angry: . Its going to be a little difficult to control my fermentation how I want it even if it is inside my underground bunker. Thanks to Smurto I have my 4kg of Strawberry's on stand by :) .

BYB
Liquid yeast wise I would suggest maybe german ale, 1007 is it? With no temp control you might have to go away from hefe yeasts maybe, depends on how cool it is in your underground bunker.
Otherwise I believe some of the liquid hefe yeasts lean more to the spice phenols than the banana, as wb06 does, so perhaps one of those?
Or there is always 1056 for a more nuetral, one of the American hefe yeasts perhaps? Don't know the numbers off hand...

BYB

WARNING: I am no Hefe expert this is my first venture here in Hefe/Fruit beer world.

However I used a blend of 3638 Bavarian Wheat and 1010 American Wheat. Long story short Crafties didn't have 2 packets of 3638 Bavarian Wheat and I couldn't be assed to build a starter up. So after much debate with Mothballs I blended the two wyeasties. I have got to say it tastes really nice without being over the top fruity/bananna esters I was expecting. I suspect the 1010 is the main culprit here from what I have read but I haven't brewed with this yeast by itself ok. I am going to dump onto this yeast cake another batch, I am happy with the results thus far.

Chap Chap

Not sure if I really like the idea of inbreeding yeast but in your case it "seems" to have worked. Reckon I will read up some more about the 1010

:icon_cheers:

BYB

Well I have penciled in Monday the 18th provided the f**king weather is cooler. Had enough of this 40c + bullshit. I have decided to go with the Wyeast 3056.Will smack it Tuesday and start the build up.

On another note, the O.G of this beer is 1.041 and I was wondering what extra gravity I may get from 4kgs of Strawberry's in the secondary? Have you have made an allowance for the bit extra the Strawbeery's will add?

BYB

Well I have penciled in Monday the 18th provided the f**king weather is cooler. Had enough of this 40c + bullshit. I have decided to go with the Wyeast 3056.Will smack it Tuesday and start the build up.

BYB
The forcast for the 17th is 28c so hopefully Monday could be the same, Good luck with that can't wait to have a try.

On another note, the O.G of this beer is 1.041 and I was wondering what extra gravity I may get from 4kgs of Strawberry's in the secondary? Have you have made an allowance for the bit extra the Strawbeery's will add?

BYB
I never worry about it too much. I generally start the base beer a little lower than I otherwise might to allow for the extra but I don't really measure it or anything...

Well things have gone to plan so far. Brewed up the base before I went on holidays. Came back a week later and the ferment had all but finished. Went with the 3056 and managed to maintain at 17-19c.
Today i have just finished shelling 4kg's of Strawberry's. The resulting photo is below. Had 19ltrs and now it is up around the 23 mark as expected.

BYB

IMGP2677.JPG

IMGP2678.JPG

u left the strawbs whole? interesting. any reason why?
common practise seems to be to puree or at least crushed them to allow for extra flavour to come out. and an additional freeze then thaw willl break down cell walls etc.

looks good though. i must do another batch of the strawb with a few tweaks.

I farked this one up.

Decided that removing the tops from the strawbs was too much effort so i added potassium metabisulphite to them and left it for 24 hours.

Next morning i opened the fermenter to see white strawbs! The SO2 had stripped the colour.

I still racked the beer onto them so I'll see how it turns out but not holding out much hope.

Yours looks the good BYB. I'll have to get over my cock up with a few pints of yours!

dont worry this happens to my raspberries when i do my raspberry wheat, it always turns out a nice pink

I farked this one up.

Next morning i opened the fermenter to see white strawbs! The SO2 had stripped the colour.

Yours looks the good BYB. I'll have to get over my cock up with a few pints of yours!
I'm know scientist :rolleyes: just a dumb arse cellarhand but even I know the effects of to much So2

u left the strawbs whole? interesting. any reason why?
common practise seems to be to puree or at least crushed them to allow for extra flavour to come out. and an additional freeze then thaw willl break down cell walls etc.

looks good though. i must do another batch of the strawb with a few tweaks.

They were frozen for over a month. I did actually cut them in halves and lightly mashed with a potato masher after taking off the little green bits. Managed also to cut my finger in the process :angry: Luckily not to bad. The fermenter smells loooovley atm.

BYB

I'm know scientist :rolleyes: just a dumb arse cellarhand but even I know the effects of to much So2

BYB

How much is too much?

I added maybe twice what i used when bottling my wine and noticed no colour deterioration.

Even stuck my head in the fermenter to make sure there wasn't too much SO2. (A valid scientific test :rolleyes: )

I've used it before when making Barls raspberry cyser and treating apple juice from freshly juiced apples for cider making.

This is the first time i have seen it strip colour.

Ah well, next time i will dump them in sans sanitising and see where it goes.

At worst I will produce something to compete with the Grand Masters kriek/lambic/belgian etc as long as i use a fresh Chux to filter out the fruit :D

IMGP2679.JPG

17 hours later and things are really cranking along :) Smells loooovely atm. I was a little worried that the krausen may have been jumping out of the fermenter this morning.

Will be interesting to see how extra gravity points will have been picked up once finished :chug:

BYB

Ahh u mushed them. Pic made them look whole. It's a great smell isn't it!

Thought I better update that this recipe is a cracker. I split the double batch to be a normal Hefe and a Mango Hefe. After primary in the 60lt fermenter I dropped 21lts onto 5kg of pulped and froozen mangoes. Both turned spectacular and I can't recommend this recipe enough. The base recipe certainly does make a great Hefe but when combined with fresh sweet Mango, well the results were fantastic a real standout beer IMO. So much so it didn't make it past Christmas day. The whole family drained a keg even SWMBO who is not a beer drinker at all even jumped on the MangyHefe band wagon and enjoyed this beer. Highly recommend if you have access to fresh sweet magoes to give this ago.

I have had a thought of doning that again but with green mangoes for a tart finish? Anyway I digress.

Thanks Ben for sharing this recipe mate turned out a great drop.

Chap Chap

This sounds like fun.
Not having ever made a wheat beer, what would make a good equivalent from an extract point of view? Could you use a tin of wheat extract and a tin of light?

Alot of wheat extract tins are a 60/40 Wheat/Ale malt mix, so if you want use 2 tins, then add whatever specialty malts you like (look up steeping).

Cheers SJ

Latest posts

Back