RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Landlord

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WY1469 on the stirplate

Finally got some Golden Promise (Fawcetts floor malted) so am going to belt out another Landlord.

97% GP
3% Simpsons Medium Crystal
Usual hopping schedule

:icon_drool2:
DrS, how did the colour turn out with the medium crystal? I've been doing 97% TFFMGP + 3% caraaroma and I think it may be a tad too dark for a true TTLL clone. Maybe medium crystal would be closer?

Righto folks, can someone save me the hassle of dredging through the last 13 pages to find the latest grain bill?

Have made the original a buttload of times but interested to see whats new.

BTW its good to be back and filling up my keg stocks again.

Righto folks, can someone save me the hassle of dredging through the last 13 pages to find the latest grain bill?

Have made the original a buttload of times but interested to see whats new.

BTW its good to be back and filling up my keg stocks again.

Now that TF malts are available (they werent when i first posted this recipe) i've dropped the munich and added a small crystal malt addition.

I personally find caraaroma a tad too dark and the flavour contribution just a wee bit too much.

Simpsons medium crystal is a gorgeous spec malt, i chew on a small handful when ever i am milling it.

So the current recipe I use is 97-98% TF MO or GP, 2-3% medium crystal (simpsons, or wey carabohemian is another i like to use). Hop schedule is the same and the yeast (WY1469) the same.

Recently purchased an aquarium pump and airstone from Ross and got this recipe to drop down to 1.010 rather than the usual 1.012/3. No change in the mash temp or anything esle and the yeast was an old smackpack (Oct 2010) that i built up on a stirplate the same way i always do. The extra dryness is what i was after. Landlord is malty but has a nice dry finish and i think this is my best version yet. Still needs to be racked and kegged so anything could happen between now and then but i am quietly chuffed with how this has turned out.

nice one, cheers mate, might need an airstone and pump haha.

How long did you aerate for?

nice one, cheers mate, might need an airstone and pump haha.

How long did you aerate for?

I use an airstone and an aquarium pump.
Mine gets used till the foam rises to the top of the fermenter.
This process is repeated a few times over the first 5 or 6 hours after pitching the yeast.
I get similar attenuation results to DrS.

Now that TF malts are available (they werent when i first posted this recipe) i've dropped the munich and added a small crystal malt addition.

I personally find caraaroma a tad too dark and the flavour contribution just a wee bit too much.

Simpsons medium crystal is a gorgeous spec malt, i chew on a small handful when ever i am milling it.

So the current recipe I use is 97-98% TF MO or GP, 2-3% medium crystal (simpsons, or wey carabohemian is another i like to use). Hop schedule is the same and the yeast (WY1469) the same.

Recently purchased an aquarium pump and airstone from Ross and got this recipe to drop down to 1.010 rather than the usual 1.012/3. No change in the mash temp or anything esle and the yeast was an old smackpack (Oct 2010) that i built up on a stirplate the same way i always do. The extra dryness is what i was after. Landlord is malty but has a nice dry finish and i think this is my best version yet. Still needs to be racked and kegged so anything could happen between now and then but i am quietly chuffed with how this has turned out.

Having already bought the caraaroma, should I just reduce the amount I use to say 2% or less?

Having already bought the caraaroma, should I just reduce the amount I use to say 2% or less?

The only reason i'd drop the Caraaroma back to 2% is just for colour correction if your looking to get pretty close to a clone in appearance. Personally I love the big caramel flavour and aroma that a decent whack of Caraaroma gives me. So scaling back will obviously give you less of that.

Your call on what you want.

WY1469 on the stirplate

Finally got some Golden Promise (Fawcetts floor malted) so am going to belt out another Landlord.

97% GP
3% Simpsons Medium Crystal
Usual hopping schedule

:icon_drool2:

This version of Landlord is VERY nice. Maybe the best version yet. :icon_drool2:

The malt body was fantastic but due to a lower finishing gravity (1.010) it had a nice dry finish. 4.4% so a tad bigger and the 30 IBU was so well balanced.

Now to belt out another batch for a camping trip and a batch after that to be served through the handpump at the AABC clubnight. :icon_drunk:

Can't believe you've left it till now to try the GP :eek:

As we used to say in Newcastle, "That'll lorn ye" :lol:

Dr Smurto im keen to put down your landlord,but its my first venture into no chill(20l).
what is yours or anyone else opinion on hop additions to keep it within style???
cheers in advance humulus

Can't believe you've left it till now to try the GP :eek:

As we used to say in Newcastle, "That'll lorn ye" :lol:

One of those things Bribie, kept falling down the to do list. Wont be the last time i use GP! :icon_drunk:

Dr Smurto im keen to put down your landlord,but its my first venture into no chill(20l).
what is yours or anyone else opinion on hop additions to keep it within style???
cheers in advance humulus

Drop the 0 min addition of styrian goldings and add it as a hop tea after fermentation. Leave the rest as is.

Hi All,

Thinking of making this recipe but can't find the Marris Otter on the Craftbrewer website, nor the Bairds choc malt (can substitute this for other choc malt I assume) also no fuggles or Goldings East Keng. . Might be able to get it from MHB but not much time these days to head to newcastle and the freight cost from CB is similar to the cost of going to MHB and back anyway.

Any suggestions on other malts to use? If not I'll give MHB a ring and see if he carries it.

Cheers, Pok

TF golden Promise. Usuaully available from craftbrewer and better for this recipe anyway (the good doctor's later tweaks seem to recommend this as well).

Yep, I'd go with Golden Promise too. Give CB or MHB a call, they should be able to supply or sub everything in the recipe with ease. Nb. Dr S' recent post though, the recipe has developed a little since the original was posted. If you can't source 1469 (its still a seasonal release), PM me. :icon_cheers:

<shitstir>

I believe that Mark's Home Brew Shop can match CB's malt prices - and he has an absolute shitload in store as seen the other week

</shitstir>

(how many times am I allowed to say shit in one post?) :icon_cheers:

Just saw the Drs revised recipe,my LHBS has Simpsons Imperial Ale malt could i use that instead of Crystal?
cheers

Ask them about Simpson's Heritage Crystal, thats the duck's nuts.

Latest posts

Back