RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Landlord

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will be polyclar-ing and (maybe) filtering tonight... sample i took last night was :icon_drool2: i'm getting all giddy over this one. can't wait. :icon_cheers:

Fingers crossed for happy days ahead with this one, argon! :icon_chickcheers:
Usually I can't be arsed clearing UK Bitters but 1469 is a fairly tidy strain anyway, that's not to say it shouldn't be done- even I can manage a dry Polyclar addition though and suppose I really should, but filtering would indeed test my patience.

Seeing as I've got a couple of full GP sacks here and only a couple of batches- worth of pils, I'm thinking this one's back in vogue for all the upcoming holiday madness chez moi. :icon_drunk:

I am doing this brew on Wednesday and I've got an extra 250gms of carapils sitting around...would there be any drastic drawbacks to chucking it in? I haven't been true to the brand of malt, but have used this recipe as a base for the upcoming mash.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks all.

I am doing this brew on Wednesday and I've got an extra 250gms of carapils sitting around...would there be any drastic drawbacks to chucking it in? I haven't been true to the brand of malt, but have used this recipe as a base for the upcoming mash.

Thanks all.

I wouldn't if it had been sitting around too long stored in unfavourable conditions.
I'm not sure if you would have to adjust your mash temp to account for a higher FG.
I personally don't really see any benefits from using it.

Lecterfan, I'd recommend the mindset of only putting things into beer if they're contributing some demonstrable* or defined benefit. There's a good chance it won't do any harm, then OTOH, you could wreck a beer that would've been great without it...

* Yes, demonstrable is a stretch sometimes, but you get what I mean.

Thanks guys. I should have mentioned the carapils is only 3 days old, vacuum packed in the fridge. I forgot to chuck it in a mash I did yesterday.

Sounds like I'll just hold off and stick it in something else.

Thanks again.

edit: RdeVjun - "demonstrable" is never a stretch, and its usage was entirely appropriate and appreciated!

Ended up filtering 2 kegs worth on Friday night. Should be nicely gassed by now. I haven't yet connected the beer out line... Just to stop mensammpling it and finishing it within a week. Small hydro I took was great!! Can only get better over the next few weeks. I'm trying not to take a pint at least unti the weekend. Don't know if I can do it.

@rdevjun filtering's not too bad mate... Just sit back and have a couple if beers while it does it's thing. Perfectly clear beer everytime. BTW that best bitter to gave me was excellent. Was that the challenger version by chance... I thought I got some orange zest notes. Overall just a great balanced beer. Cheers

Do it... And while you're at it take that co2 bottle home and grab a couple of kegs. You know you want to.

Thanks all.

Not a fan of carapils so i would say please don't put it anywhere near a Landlord (or any english bitter).

Preferably not even in the same postcode. :p

I'm looking at brewing this when I get home from WA. I read through the thread last night & got horribly confused about what grain bill & yeast to use after having a few of the take aways from the micros we've been to over here. As far as caremelisation, would it be viable to boil all of the 1st runnings while I sparge & leave it boiling until I get my pre boil volume (which would actually already be boiling).

My experience of caramelising suggests just getting a portion of the total wort, separating it and boiling that down. 2-3 L takes the same amount of time to reduce to thick, almost but not quite burnt syrup on my stove as a boil does to finish on my system. All systems will vary, obviously.

I had some strange experiences with head retention from beers that caramelised first runnings - no idea of the science behind it but since caramelising portion of whole wort there's been no issue.

PS I know for any pedants out there that we are really producing maillard reactions (although mine does get boiled down to almost dry) but shut up felten.

I'm looking at brewing this when I get home from WA. I read through the thread last night & got horribly confused about what grain bill & yeast to use after having a few of the take aways from the micros we've been to over here. As far as caremelisation, would it be viable to boil all of the 1st runnings while I sparge & leave it boiling until I get my pre boil volume (which would actually already be boiling).

the conclusion that i came to after reading this and many other threads/sites about TTLL was a grain bill consisting of;
97% TF FM GP
3% Cararoma (in lieu of the caramelisation portion)

then to hop in 3 parts (read here for some background)

Fuggles 60 mins
EKG 30 mins
Styrian late 15 - 5mins

All to a total of around 30IBU

and using 1469

This what i ended up doing linky

filtered and kegged last Friday trying very hard not to sample it till tomorrow night.

Blew the first keg last night :( ... That snuck up on me... less than a month from primary is pretty quick for me. Lucky i have the second one, just chanegd it over and kept going. Second keg was filtered till the filter clogged, then ran the last 4L straight to the keg. Has a bit of yeast haze, but don't mind cause i get a bit more 1469 ;)

I'll be brewing this again soon.

My keg also blew last night :(
Will be brewing this again in the morning so will have a keg ready for Christmas Day drinks.
Nige

Hi Guys,

I brewed this on Saturday.

Today when I got home from work I noticed my beer looks milky, see pics !!!

I have made a few all grain recipes lately and all have been good.

This was the first batch I wacked a wirlfloc in.

Is that why it's milky, or is it stuffed ???

phpdQSLoBPM.jpg

phpGgkcQoPM.jpg

1/2 a tablet, 15 mins at the end of boil mate

How long has it been in the fermenter? Whirlfloc is used to make all the proteins out of the brew in the kettle. It wouldn't effect the brew after that i wouldn't imagine, if anything, it should clear up faster.

Back