RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Landlord

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like fermenting beer to me fuggle. Take the advice of your signature.

yep looks like a nice healthy vigorous fermentation... nice one... Which yeast are you using? 1469 i hope :icon_drool2:

Hi Guys,

I've just got home from work, I've had Landlord carbonating over the weekend.

Just poured my self a glass from the tap of my new kegerator.

I can taste a little fusel alchohol. I've had some hot days in the shed. My fermenting method is just a carboy in the shed with an old t shirt over it, so I dare say that's why I'm guessing that, It fermented very fast the first day or 2 then slowed down, etc.

I wacked it into secondry for a week into my kegerator at 3-4c. Kegged it on Saturday morning and Carbed @ 300 kpa or around 45 psi, also @ around 3-4c.

It's slightly over carbed, but hey a little froth dosn't hurt.

See what happens in a few days.

I have a primary of Arons best and a secondry of Arons best also ready to keg soon,

I'm havin' so much fun makin' my own brew.

PS, I jst got a pm from somebody, I won't name them...
quote, "how can someone with 24 posts know about fusel alchohols"

I guess painting cars for 25 years and dealing with "thinners" one would know what that tastes like.
And secondly, I still methanol and ethanol, have done for the past 5 years. I also recycle thinners...

Cheers guys

Since when does post count have anything to do with a persons knowledge or experience level? What a lousy PM to receive mate :p

Hi Guys,

I've just got home from work, I've had Landlord carbonating over the weekend.

Just poured my self a glass from the tap of my new kegerator.

I can taste a little fusel alchohol. My fermenting method is just a carboy in the shed with an old t shirt over it, so I dare say that's why I'm guessing that, It fermented very fast the first day or 2 then slowed down, etc.

I wacked it into secondry for a week into my kegerator at 3-4c. Kegged it on Saturday morning and Carbed @ 300 kpa or around 45 psi, also @ around 3-4c.

It's slightly over carbed, but hey a little froth dosn't hurt.

See what happens in a few days.

I have a primary of Arons best and a secondry of Arons best also ready to keg soon,

I'm havin' so much fun makin' my own brew.

PS, I jst got a pm from somebody, I won't name them...
quote, "how can someone with 24 posts know about fusel alchohols"

I guess painting cars for 25 years and dealing with "thinners" one would know what that tastes like.
And secondly, I still methanol and ethanol, have done for the past 5 years. I also recycle thinners...

Cheers guys

Hi Guys,

I brewed this on Saturday.

Today when I got home from work I noticed my beer looks milky, see pics !!!

I have made a few all grain recipes lately and all have been good.

This was the first batch I wacked a wirlfloc in.

Is that why it's milky, or is it stuffed ???

phpdQSLoBPM.jpg

phpGgkcQoPM.jpg

That's the yeast cake dude plus anything else you didn't get out of the kettle when you banged it into the fermentor. :beerbang:

Down to 4 bottles of my first attempt of this left. Just pitched a 1469 on this tonight. Hopefully the ice bottle trick should keep the temps down sufficiently with 39 degrees tomorrow.

I allowed for some lower efficiency as I wasn't sure what my new mill and first time using Crisp MO would do. Ended up with spot on 75% and 1048. Hydro sample is :icon_drool2:

Now the struggle is to wait a month until it's fermented, bottled and carbed...

Down to 4 bottles of my first attempt of this left. Just pitched a 1469 on this tonight. Hopefully the ice bottle trick should keep the temps down sufficiently with 39 degrees tomorrow.

I allowed for some lower efficiency as I wasn't sure what my new mill and first time using Crisp MO would do. Ended up with spot on 75% and 1048. Hydro sample is :icon_drool2:

Now the struggle is to wait a month until it's fermented, bottled and carbed...

Time to report back...

My first batch was with 1187 and second with 1469 and my goodness how different they are. The first with 1187 finished much drier and the hop character really came through. The second was 1469 and the malt is really prominent but the hops are more subdued. I've seen the description "chewy" malt and this sums up the 1469 perfectly. I don't know which I prefer, they were both so different. The higher FG and OG in the latest batch probably contribute to the additional malt character.

All the other things, mash/fermentation temp etc were the same or pretty close but I think some further experimentation is required. Maybe 1469 with some extra hops would be perfect.

Heading to the LHBS today, on the off chance i cannot get any 1469, any idea how 1318 would go with this as I have a few stubs of slurry.

I suspect may finish a bit sweet?

Never tried 1318, but if you're going to the LHBS anyway and if they don't have 1469, grab some 1187 Ringwood. Decent sub and suits the Yorky Bitters nicely. :icon_cheers:

WY1469 on the stirplate

Finally got some Golden Promise (Fawcetts floor malted) so am going to belt out another Landlord.

97% GP
3% Simpsons Medium Crystal
Usual hopping schedule

:icon_drool2:

I recently used your hopping schedule with 100% TF Golden promise and the wort caramelisation trick.

Still pretty pale (looks beautiful and clear though) but having trouble not drinking it. Batch nearly gone

I recently used your hopping schedule with 100% TF Golden promise and the wort caramelisation trick.

Still pretty pale (looks beautiful and clear though) but having trouble not drinking it. Batch nearly gone

Nice one Manticle! Got a pic?

Just took an FG reading (1.010) and had a taste of the TF FM GP Landlord (recipe 2 posts up)

Very happy with the result.

Will be cold conditioning till the weekend and then putting it on tap. The lack of nuttiness and more of a sweet honey like quality when compared to the MO is very noticeable.

I like it a lot. :chug:

No pic, sorry.

I was too busy drinking it. Just ordered some more 1469 to brew it again so I'll remember to take one and post it here. Was judged too pale for style at recent Worthogs pale ale mania (3rd place though) so I might caramelise a bit more of the wort and see if that changes anything.

Love those styrians. Gorgeous, subtle mandarins.

...TF FM GP ...

...The lack of nuttiness and more of a sweet honey like quality when compared to the MO is very noticeable.

I also noticed this when pitching yeast into a (totally different) beer comprising mainly Golden Promise too. Some great 'honey-esque' properties there.

Back