RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Landlord

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All,

Thinking of making this recipe but can't find the Marris Otter on the Craftbrewer website, nor the Bairds choc malt (can substitute this for other choc malt I assume) also no fuggles or Goldings East Keng. . Might be able to get it from MHB but not much time these days to head to newcastle and the freight cost from CB is similar to the cost of going to MHB and back anyway.

Any suggestions on other malts to use? If not I'll give MHB a ring and see if he carries it.

Cheers, Pok

Been belting the Landlord tap over the weekend and am very happy with it.

Current recipe is

97% Golden Promise
3% Simpsons Medium Crystal
Fuggles to 30 IBU
1g/L EKG at 20
1g/L Stryians at 20
Wyeast 1469

So I'd suggest trying to find the Thomas Fawcetts Golden Promise and Simpsons (or Bairds) medium or dark crystal. Heard good thinsg about Simpsons heritage crystal but yet to use it (assuming its different from their regular crystal). When my crystal malt supply gets low i will be ordering some.

Been belting the Landlord tap over the weekend and am very happy with it.

Current recipe is

97% Golden Promise
Fuggles to 30 IBU
1g/L EKG at 20
1g/L Stryians at 20
Wyeast 1469

So I'd suggest trying to find the Thomas Fawcetts Golden Promise and Simpsons (or Bairds) medium or dark crystal. Heard good thinsg about Simpsons heritage crystal but yet to use it (assuming its different from their regular crystal). When my crystal malt supply gets low i will be ordering some.

Dr Smurto,

What mash schedule do you use for TTL?

Cheers,

Tony

Seen a few threads banging about but wanted to get the information from the source....

What substitute yeast would you recommend for the 1469? I've read it's a seasonal.

I was thinking 1099 Whitbread might do the trick but could be too fruity if not careful, no?

Single infusion at 65-66C for 90 mins. 60 mins is fine, i tend to take my time with brewing so do a 90 minute mash (with a thin decoction mashout) and a 90 minute boil.

Many thanks Dr.
Tony

Seen a few threads banging about but wanted to get the information from the source....

What substitute yeast would you recommend for the 1469? I've read it's a seasonal.

I was thinking 1099 Whitbread might do the trick but could be too fruity if not careful, no?

I'm interested in the answer to this one. I have some 1187 in the fridge. Will this do for TTL if I can't get 1469?
Tony

I'm interested in the answer to this one. I have some 1187 in the fridge. Will this do for TTL if I can't get 1469?
Tony

1187 Ringwood is a good choice for Yorkshire Bitters, from the Hull brewery originally. It top ferments etc like 1469 but turns out a bit fruity if fermented over 20 degrees, so ferment coolish.

1187 Ringwood is a good choice for Yorkshire Bitters, from the Hull brewery originally. It top ferments etc like 1469 but turns out a bit fruity if fermented over 20 degrees, so ferment coolish.

Great. Thanks Bribie.

Tony

Ringwood was (and is still) my first true love. :wub:

If for some reason i am out of WY1469 and can't beg, borrow or steal more i have no problem going back to Ringwood.

Less attenuative than 1469 though so I'd be mashing at 65C max to dry and get the dry finish you want in a Landlord.

thinking about using a WLP005 I've got in the fridge with this recipe, any suggestions on how it would sit
cheers

thanks Dr, I really should have researched that myself before posting, the vile is a few months past its use by date (LBS freebe) but I'm sure some TLC will bring those little zombies back to life,

i am wondering if anyone has tried brewing this recipe using a pilsner malt as the base malt ?

i have run out of tffmgp but have wey floor malted bo pils,

should i punt it or just use my bopils for what its intended for ?

I have the same malt that I'm using as a base malt replacement for ale malt. It won't make the same beer as with the English malts, but it won't be terrible. Worth a try if you really want to make it.

I've made a neighbour of the landlord.

I used Ringwood yeast and for the hops I went with Perle .8/l @ 60m and 1g/l @ 15m. It isn't TTL but it is a delicious beer. Thanks for the inspiration.

97% Golden Promise
Fuggles to 30 IBU
1g/L EKG at 20
1g/L Stryians at 20
Wyeast 1469

Still a shade lighter than the real deal (and yet another terrible phone pic) but it's rocking my world. :icon_drunk:

TTLSept2011.jpg

97% Golden Promise
Fuggles to 30 IBU
1g/L EKG at 20
1g/L Stryians at 20
Wyeast 1469

Still a shade lighter than the real deal (and yet another terrible phone pic) but it's rocking my world. :icon_drunk:
Late, but worth the wait- first ale of the season! Doing one with left- over Halcyon today, much the same as yours. I've got another fresh bag for other devious tricks, so need to use this one up and DSL is an ideal keg filler! :icon_cheers:

So just to confirm you've changed the 0min addition to 20min addition?

Back