RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Landlord

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As per other respondents, 1882 is certainly decent for the TTL style, I've used it an about a dozen batches of my house ale which precisely that, otherwise I use 1469. Dry, with significant malt presence, its particular floral perfume which is often present early dissipates after a few weeks, leaving the late Styrian to come into their own for a really nice ESB. Good choice!

Everyone seems to favor the drier yeast - I would have opted for the 1099 as it seemed to not attenuate as well, which I would have found more desirable in an English bitter. But what do I know? Not enough hops in these English beers if you ask me :lol:

Sure you can P, but these dry, comparatively low- hopped ESBs can have loads of hops character too, just balancing them can be a bit fiddly. To be honest though, I cheated- DrS' recipe had things just about right for hops already, for my tastes at least. I would only suggest to increase the recipe's late addition and I think that is almost universally agreed now.
I like the way you think though! B)

so many yeasts to use.. none of the available at CB!!!

So what to use?

either,

Wyeast 1187 Ringwood Ale -
Great yeast strain with unique fermentation & flavour characteristics.
Distinct fruit ester & high flocculation provide a malty complex profile

or

Wyeast 1275 - Thames Valley Ale -
Produces classic British bitters, rich complex flavor profile.
Clean, light malt character, low fruitiness, low esters, well balanced.

or

Wyeast 1335 - British Ale II -
Typical of British & Canadian ale fermentation profile with good flocculating
& malty flavor characteristics, crisp finish, clean, fairly dry

yeah, saw that, but need to brew earler than that...

the Dr has spoken... Cheers mate! :icon_chickcheers:

1469 is coming out at the start of October:

CRAFTBREWER LINKY

thought this thread would pop up again now that 1469 is on it's way.

1st October i have a planned double batch;
97% Golden Promise TF
3% Cararoma

Floor malted GP or not? I can get Bairds GP FM

thought this thread would pop up again now that 1469 is on it's way.

1st October i have a planned double batch;
97% Golden Promise TF
3% Cararoma

Floor malted GP or not? I can get Bairds GP FM

I was under the impression that the Bairds GP and MO are not floor malted. The only floor malted english malts we can get are from Thomas Fawcetts.

I was under the impression that the Bairds GP and MO are not floor malted. The only floor malted english malts we can get are from Thomas Fawcetts.

oops my bad... had the wrong description saved in beersmith got it arse about... i will be using;
97% Ale - Golden Promise (Thomas Fawcett Floor Malted)
3% Caraaroma Malt (Weyermann)
90 min fuggle to 14.1 IBU
50 min EKG 11.7 IBU
15 min Styrian 6.4 IBU

32.2 IBU
22.4 EBC

1050 OG
1015 SG

Right then second attempt at this one for this weekend

After a bit of research and plenty of reading Ive decided to go for this;
Still not sure about the hop schedule, specifically IBU/SG ratio. I think its about right. And the colour. Maybe a touch dark???

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Landlord
Brewer: Argon
Asst Brewer:
Style: Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 41.00 L
Boil Size: 40.83 L
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 21.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 34.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.20 kg Ale - Golden Promise TF (6.3 EBC) Grain 96.84 %
0.30 kg Caraaroma Malt (Weyermann) (400.0 EBC) Grain 3.16 %
45.00 gm Fuggle [7.70 %] (60 min) Hops 19.4 IBU
45.00 gm East Kent Goldings [4.80 %] (30 min) Hops 9.3 IBU
45.00 gm Styrian Goldings [5.00 %] (15 min) Hops 6.2 IBU
2.00 tsp Koppafloc (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
10.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs West Yorkshire (Wyeast Labs #1469) [StarteYeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 9.50 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 25.00 L of water at 72.5 C 65.0 C
10 min Mashout Heat to 78.0 C over 2 min 78.0 C

Notes:
------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps a shade too dark but that's never a bad thing IMO.

Brew it and report back!

Alright will do then... :icon_cheers: Can't see it getting any lighter with the use of GP with 3% Cararoma... i'll just leave it as is.

The last addition of Styrian will be no-chill cube hopped for that really deep flavour... done this a few times with a few different varieties and it alway comes out :icon_drool2:

Think i might go pick up a bottle of TTL on the way home tonight.

Caraaroma, now your'e talking :icon_cheers:
Definitely a crossed thread going on here :p but with the Landlordish clone that got me 1st in the BABBs comp in the Special Bitters, I French pressed the Styrians and skipped the cube, added them on pitching the yeast. One of the most aromatic attempts I have made so far.

ps just checked my archive cupboard to see if I've got one for BABBs and s'all gone <_<

Caraaroma, now your'e talking :icon_cheers:
Definitely a crossed thread going on here :p but with the Landlordish clone that got me 1st in the BABBs comp in the Special Bitters, I French pressed the Styrians and skipped the cube, added them on pitching the yeast. One of the most aromatic attempts I have made so far.

ps just checked my archive cupboard to see if I've got one for BABBs and s'all gone <_<

Very interesting... hmmm so you reckon bitter to 34 IBU or so then french press the Styrians at pitching...
:icon_offtopic: i'll be coming to BABBS this week so would love to bend your ear on this

The last addition of Styrian will be no-chill cube hopped for that really deep flavour... done this a few times with a few different varieties and it alway comes out :icon_drool2:

Hi Argon

Very interested in your experience of Cube Hopping, particularly with this recipe. I made the original recipe just recently except I've been using the Hop Tea method as I no-chill. However, it was my first time using plugs for a hop tea and I don't feel it did the brew justice. As far as a simple beer goes it tastes fine, just not the hop impact I was expecting. So I was planning on a cube addition instead next time I make it. When do you add the hops to the cube? Before you drain the kettle or after the cube cools to 80C or something else?

JN

Hi Argon

Very interested in your experience of Cube Hopping, particularly with this recipe. I made the original recipe just recently except I've been using the Hop Tea method as I no-chill. However, it was my first time using plugs for a hop tea and I don't feel it did the brew justice. As far as a simple beer goes it tastes fine, just not the hop impact I was expecting. So I was planning on a cube addition instead next time I make it. When do you add the hops to the cube? Before you drain the kettle or after the cube cools to 80C or something else?

JN

Firstly I count cube hops as a 15min addition

Secondly, there's a couple of different methods for cube hopping i've used in the past;
1. Chuck in your hops before you fill the cube and rack the hot wort on top... easy to do with flowers/plugs
2. Insert your hops immediately before sealing the cube easier with pellets.

I prefer to throw them in just as your sealing to capture all the hop aromas immediately... of course the above means you'll end up with hops in the fermenter or need to strain them out.

As for straining just put your hops in a small hop bag and poke them into the cube. When pitching time rolls around the hop matter will be caught up in the bags and not go in the fermenter... easy.

Other wise just strain the cube through some sanitised voile or a sanitised hopsock. (hopsock is easy cause you can insert it in the fermenter and suspend it, then pour into it. It catches quite a lot of trub.)
:icon_cheers:

I'm planning to do the 97% TF FM MO and 3% Caraaroma version of this very soon. I'm a bit confused as to what the currently recommended hop schedule is for this though, as it sounds like it has changed from what is in the recipe database. Can someone please enlighten me.

My preference:
18 IBU Fuggles or Challenger bittering at 90
10 IBU EKG at 20
2g/L Styrian Goldings at 0

You can dry hop or hop tea with some more Styrian during fermentation, I'm happy enough without it but that's me- BribieG may disagree! :icon_cheers:

Back