RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Landlord

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The lure of these strong new MP hops, eh?! I wouldn't increase the bitterness mate, IMO your BU:GU could be getting wonky already at 0.9, I'd be aiming for around 0.6- 0.7 with more late styrian (like the good doctor says!), the proportions are about right though- 2:1 bittering to aroma is my ideal combo.

Long low mash is good, with that in mind are you sure your efficiency isn't slightly better? Just wonderin'...

:icon_cheers:

Yeah fair points there RdeVjun.

After chatting with 3G, I was more aiming for the upper limits of the 'circa ESB' style in Beersmith. Not that style or guidelines are my measuring stick...

My efficiency should improve to 73 or 74 tops, but I usually program it low just incase. Any extra sugars are a bonus and more into the cube with simply the increase of sparge water.

I have an APA with some good bitterness in the fermentor atm, so maybe I will go a little lower on the bitterness on this version.

(Edit: looking to get a mix of summer beers into the keg fridge - hence variety of bitterness beers... but I am on a bitter binge atm too!)

Cheers for your thoughts on this one! :D

Wow must have the touch today very fortunate that this thread appeared. Well after an extended hiatis from brewing and a absolutely nothing left in the keg fridges I have decided to get back on the saddle with a DrS TTL. What do the experts reckon my chances are of having it on tap for Christams Day?

Raven - if you haven't already brewed this i strongly recommend changing to the latest version which coincidentally you have a bottle of as its my case swap beer.

97% ale
3% caraaroma

And unless you increase the OG i wouldnt push the IBU any higher. In fact, i would go a fraction lower, maybe 33.

Chappo, if you use the west yorky yeast there is no worries about getting it on tap in less than a week!

No harm in trying, but with 11 days, i reckon you'll be pushing it. Will be quite green on Chrissy day. My suggestion it to do it any way, and just in case whack down a wheat beer.

Worst case, you'll have the wheat to drink on the day (nice, esp if it's hot) and if you're lucky you'll have two beers to drink.

Cheers SJ

Raven - if you haven't already brewed this i strongly recommend changing to the latest version which coincidentally you have a bottle of as its my case swap beer.

97% ale
3% caraaroma

And unless you increase the OG i wouldnt push the IBU any higher. In fact, i would go a fraction lower, maybe 33.

Will change it mate, cheers!

Only have the mash water on the timer at home. Plan is to knock off around 3.30, home to crush grain, and mash in by 4.30. Gotta love daylight savings!!! :D

(Rotten work getting in the way as per normal!)

97% ale
3% caraaroma

Chappo, if you use the west yorky yeast there is no worries about getting it on tap in less than a week!

Ok well looks like I better stock up on some of that luverly 1469 that Ross has. Cheers DrS!

No harm in trying, but with 11 days, i reckon you'll be pushing it. Will be quite green on Chrissy day. My suggestion it to do it any way, and just in case whack down a wheat beer.

Worst case, you'll have the wheat to drink on the day (nice, esp if it's hot) and if you're lucky you'll have two beers to drink.

Cheers SJ

Good thinking 99. A wheatie would be perfect. I was thinking an APA but it would be way, way too green for xmas. Mind you I'll take a green home brew over a commercial any day of the week.

Geezus I wish my Mojo kicked in last week now! :(

Wow must have the touch today very fortunate that this thread appeared. Well after an extended hiatis from brewing and a absolutely nothing left in the keg fridges I have decided to get back on the saddle with a DrS TTL. What do the experts reckon my chances are of having it on tap for Christams Day?
Pretty good Chappo, like Dr S says, even a week, although that's probably pushing it for me but you have more than a week to the big day. Its quite OK with malts like GP and MO, but with BB Ale it can be a bit doughy/bready when young, at least that's been my experience.

Single decoction and caramelising wort are both interesting twists, I do both these days and am quite pleased with the results from 100% base malt, but the caraaroma version is an excellent alternative.

Late mail: Don't think Ross, or any other HBS has 1469 mate, its one of the PC stable. PM me.

Edit: Proculture Wood Ale is probably a good alternative, a West Yorkshire knockoff perhaps.

Chap CHap if your'e after some 1469 I have some fresh slurry just harveted yesterday and could send it to you, PM me if interested. This stuff is a monster and will chew those shugaz up really quickly.

Cheers
Gavo.

Pretty good Chappo, like Dr S says, even a week, although that's probably pushing it for me but you have more than a week to the big day. Its quite OK with malts like GP and MO, but with BB Ale it can be a bit doughy/bready when young, at least that's been my experience.

Single decoction and caramelising wort are both interesting twists, I do both these days and am quite pleased with the results from 100% base malt, but the caraaroma version is an excellent alternative.

Late mail: Don't think Ross, or any other HBS has 1469 mate, its one of the PC stable. PM me.

Edit: Proculture Wood Ale is probably a good alternative, a West Yorkshire knockoff perhaps.

Thanks RdeVjun. I'll email you some questions in regards to the above Mate. To be honest I am starting to shy away from American styled hop head beers as of late. Plus the Cascade, Chinook, Centennial etc hopped beers have started to blend into one another. I still like them don't get me wrong but the Pommy beers are much more sessionable IMHO. Plus the milds gives me more staying power. :lol: ;)

cheapest ive seen TTL was at firstchoice on the weeken $7.50 for 500ml bottle.

this is on my brew list once im back in action.

Chappo that bottle I gave you yesterday is 1469 in the guise of Proculture Wood Ale :ph34r:
Maybe you could culture it up as an insurance policy but Gavo's slurry offer sounds the go. Gavo send him a litre :icon_cheers:

Cheers Ralph, Gavo and Bribie for the kind offers.

First brew back and I am already culturing up yeasties!

I might hazzard my chances with Bribies for the moment guys as I already have it on hand. The hazzard comment is more of me than a slag at Bribie as I haven't worked yeasties for a while due to the constant wild yeast infections I was getting.

I brewed a Smurto TTL for VicBrew (with the addditonal step of caramelissing 1 litre of first running a la Bribie), and the score sheets said that the body was too thin for an English Pale Ale. I measured FG at 1011, and style guidelines say FG should be 1008 - 1012 so I was a bit surprised. So I've got 2 options:
- argue the toss - not really an option, no point entering a comp for feedback if you then reject it.
- do something about it. in this case, I have brewed this again, and added 500g flaked barley for some additional body (this also bumped OG up to 1053 for 23L). This has been in the fermenter for a week, will cc in another week then bottle.

I know that flaked barley is supposed t leave a haze and isn't recommended for pale beer, but the hydro sample looked OK, and I'm hoping that 3 weeksd of conditioning will give time for "stuff" to settle out. Time will tell. Has anyone eklse tried this?

Smurto, I used 500g Munich malt as per original recipe - have you now changed this?

I brewed a Smurto TTL for VicBrew (with the addditonal step of caramelissing 1 litre of first running a la Bribie), and the score sheets said that the body was too thin for an English Pale Ale. I measured FG at 1011, and style guidelines say FG should be 1008 - 1012 so I was a bit surprised. So I've got 2 options:
- argue the toss - not really an option, no point entering a comp for feedback if you then reject it.
- do something about it. in this case, I have brewed this again, and added 500g flaked barley for some additional body (this also bumped OG up to 1053 for 23L). This has been in the fermenter for a week, will cc in another week then bottle.

I know that flaked barley is supposed t leave a haze and isn't recommended for pale beer, but the hydro sample looked OK, and I'm hoping that 3 weeksd of conditioning will give time for "stuff" to settle out. Time will tell. Has anyone eklse tried this?

Smurto, I used 500g Munich malt as per original recipe - have you now changed this?

Hazard, yes I use Munich in my TTL variations. What did you mash at? I've had good success at 68 degrees which leaves plenty of body, and I sneak in 500 of sugar into the fermenter - as do many UK brewers - so I'm still getting a strong beer with body.

Current recipe is 97% Thomas Fawcetts floor malted Maris Otter and 3% weyermann caraaroma. To me, this packs more malt than using bairds MO and munich.

I mash at 65C on the advice of Wessmith who knows a thing or 2 about malt......

TTL is a dry beer. Mashing higher leaves body behind which some people/judges may prefer but this is not what i want in a Landlord so my preference is to mash at 65C. If you want more body mash higher.

I'll pass on feedback i get from this years xmas case swap.

All this is my 2 c only. Its what i want out of this beer. YMMV. :chug:

it was a tiny bit too dry or too bitter the dryness. i preferred last years myself but it was still a very nice drop.

I thought Taylor's used Golden Promise. What I've been using.

I thought Taylor's used Golden Promise. What I've been using.

Yep AFAIK thats correct. Ive recently kegged my TTL clone we brewed at the xmas case swap with 100% Simpsons Golden Promise with the 1st 5L caramelised down to around 1L~. Besides the chill haze, the flavour is pretty close from what i remember. I also fermented with Wyeast 1272 which is suprising! I'll have to buy a bottle of TTL or take it to the BJCP course in the new year for a side by side comparison of a leftover bottle we have on hand.

I was very tempted to not put this beer in the fridge as when i had a few test pours from the keg out of the fridge the head was so deliciously creamy! :icon_drool2:

Thanks RdeVjun. I'll email you some questions in regards to the above Mate. To be honest I am starting to shy away from American styled hop head beers as of late. Plus the Cascade, Chinook, Centennial etc hopped beers have started to blend into one another. I still like them don't get me wrong but the Pommy beers are much more sessionable IMHO. Plus the milds gives me more staying power. :lol: ;)
No sweat Chappo, I can relate. Probably getting OT, but one C hop that might be worth keeping on your list is Challenger (not sure if it qualifies in the regular C hops line up anyway), if you're thinking something pale and English are up your alley at the moment, then don't cross it off- I've only used it in a few batches so far but it is one serious epiphany, and dual purpose to boot. I was leaning towards going a bit hopheaded and American myself for a bit until I discovered it, and largely by accident. The usual suspect has some very decent plugs which I am quite fond of, if you get the chance then give it a whirl at some point, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I struggled with what to brew for the troops for a lighter Christmas ale so apart from the usual house TTL-esqes I did a couple of Milds (i.e. something slightly more sessionable and lower abv, but largely malt- driven and with Challenger), so far so good and all with 1469. It is very flexible, but I also did a >6% monster ESB for nightcaps with 1768, that should finally put them all to bed when it comes time! B)

I agree with Dr S too, mash low! The 3% Caraaroma edition is quite OK (sipping one presently) but again with the lower mash temp and don't overdo the gypsum (just too dry). I do however come back to 100% GP, a single decoction (during a protein rest, the GP doesn't really need it though, its just convenient), low mash temps, caramelising some wort and 1469 though, it has become my old faithful with Dr S' original hops schedule, up the late Styrian though to 2g/L. May not be quite the TTL clone everyone would recognise and can be a bit of farting about, but still pretty phenomenal IMHO.

:icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back