RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Landlord

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i preferred last years myself but it was still a very nice drop

+1

but in saying that...i have tasted a heap of beers in between (from feb 09 onwards), i.e. expanding my palate, and it is hard to judge a good beer against any beer that was tasted with an unenlightend palate, if you get what I mean.

Cheers
Phil

Here is good Dr's effort on the SA XMas Case Swap, tasty yes!!!

DSCN3546.JPG

Not sure if the old Grumpy's glass makes it even better or not! :p

Recipe I used on this version (97/3 Split), using Powell's Malts:

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: 15 Smurto's Landlord

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 27.00 L
Boil Size: 35.37 L
Estimated OG: 1.038 SG
Estimated Color: 12.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 30.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.90 kg Pale Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 97.03 %
0.15 kg Caraaroma (350.0 SRM) Grain 2.97 %
14.00 gm Chinese Marco Polo [12.00 %] (60 min) Hops 16.8 IBU
35.00 gm East Kent Goldings [4.80 %] (25 min) Hops 11.7 IBU
25.00 gm Styrian Goldings [4.80 %] (5 min) Hops 2.4 IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs 1187 (Wyeast) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: *** Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 5.05 kg
----------------------------
*** Single Infusion, Medium Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
90 min Mash In Add 13.15 L of water at 71.2 C 65.0 C
10 min Mash Out Add 7.37 L of water at 97.1 C 75.6 C

Notes:
------
Mash 65
22L and 5L cube at 9.5 Brix 1037
4 Brix FG = 1003

DSCN3583.JPG

And how it looks in the glass...

Different version of the beer (same glass though!) compared to Dr's Case Swap version.

And it is :icon_drool2:

and it has to be said that the good doctors company is as good as his beer :beer:

Thread bump!

Raven, how did the 1187 yeast go for you? I'm looking to brew this but none of the online brew shops have any 1469 at the moment. Ross has recommended 1318, anyone have any other recommendations?

Dr Smurto

Last night at BABBs we had a huge TTL night with a large brew split 25 ways (not necessarily to your recipe) brewed at a microbrewery and each of 25 members did their cube with a different yeast and brought a keg or bottles in for sampling. The differences were amazing. For example DO NOT USE NOTTINGHAM :lol:

Ahhhh !!!! No I just made the wort up for this one Today (my second go at this...) It's in the cube now..

I had intended Nottingham yeast for this one (previous was S04) !!

I checked the fridge I only have Nottingham or US56 or Coopers yeast !!!

What to do - wait until Easter is over (and loose 5 days that could have been fermenting) or risk one of the above ???

I guess I _could_ look back and find a brew that had s04 and culture that up ??

Is the Nottingham really bad with this wort?

TIA

Michael

Thread bump!

Raven, how did the 1187 yeast go for you? I'm looking to brew this but none of the online brew shops have any 1469 at the moment. Ross has recommended 1318, anyone have any other recommendations?

Sorry mate, only just saw your Q on this one just now.

I thought it was a cracker with 1187 personally, and have used 1187 on a few brews since.

It is an evolving beer (in terms of the taste changing - for the better) and some mates over the weekend all had positive comments - it has been in the keg essentially lagering for a good 2+ months now.

I hear whispers the Dr is working on an Imperial Version of this at the moment too, cant wait to sample it at some stage :)

What to do - wait until Easter is over (and loose 5 days that could have been fermenting) or risk one of the above ???

Nottingham should be fine, but are there any nearby brewers with a liquid yeast cake you could use?

Latest version on tap now

97% TF FM MO
3% Carabohemian

Went down very well with the brewers on the weekend although the rye ESB on the handpump was the feature.

I personally think this is the best version yet but then i am biased :p

Landlordbohemian.jpg

I knew carabohemian would go down well in a bitter, done a few brews with it so far and find its really malty but really dry and just slightly acrid at the same time :icon_drool2:

97% TF FM MO

I wonder if I can get away with saying tifmo instead of saying thomas fawcett floor malted marris otter. 2 syllables against 11 - but also run the risk of getting some weird looks :lol:

Prob give this one a nudge -

97% TFMO
3% Caraaroma

Yeast on hand - 1099, 1882, SO4 ?? Which one?

97% TFMO
3% Caraaroma

My instincts would go for the 1099 - but that is only from reading up on the description of the three yeasts you named on craftbrewer.

97% TFMO
3% Caraaroma

The information on 1882 from the Wyeast site sounds promising

"Thames Valley II produces crisp, dry beers with a rich malt profile and moderate stone fruit esters."

Compared to 1469 the yeast i use for this

"This strain produces ales with a full chewy malt flavor and character, but finishes dry, producing famously balanced beers. Expect moderate nutty and stone-fruit esters."

Thames Valley II then. Sounds yum

Thames Valley II then. Sounds yum
Have used it in an oatmeal stout, and planning on using it in a forthcoming dry stout and a Best Bitter. Is definitely a yummy yeast.

It's a seasonal, so get it before it runs out.

Thames Valley II is what was in the Rye ESB mentioned above. It would definitely suit a landlord-ish beer I think. Probably the best of those three but I think any of them would work ok.

Go some fresh sample of it in the firdge. Used it in a nut brown and a mild. Not bad.

Back