RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright I might as well write something like eveyone else has, I made this beer and am drinking it at the moment and it's bloody fantastic even the misses likes it and she doesn't drink.I will be making this beer again , thanks DrSmurto for a exellent recipe.

Andrew

hey

inspired by the "move to all grain for $30" article i am going to give my first all grain a go, and this recipe will kick it off. hopefully it all goes well!

cheers
carty

Will be putting down another batch of this for an upcoming work Movember show. All donations to Movember.

May sneak a bit of spec malt into it (not sure what yet... maybe biscuit or special B - small % only), but it shall stay all amarillo hops.

The beer that scored 46/50 at last year's ANAWBS used JW ale and caramalt instead of Wey Pils and Wey Caramunich.

And i noticed that Beerbelly sells both versions of the golden ale now as packs - All JW and all weyermann!

Mate, just reading bout beerbelly stocking your recipe in packs!! That is awesome stuff big congrats smurto :beerbang:

ripper brew this 1

have been wanting to do this again for some time so mashed it last night - cant wait

my only change is to use amarillo and cascade

Put down a double batch of the Dr's Golden Ale, with a small Special B addition.

This is the 'Mo-Brau' Movember batch for work (donations all to Movember).

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: 11 Dr S Golden Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 40.00 L
Boil Size: 50.76 L
Estimated OG: 1.038 SG
Estimated Color: 8.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 35.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.89 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM) Grain 56.51 %
1.30 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 18.84 %
1.30 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (1.8 SRGrain 18.84 %
0.30 kg Caramunich I (Weyermann) (51.0 SRM) Grain 4.36 %
0.10 kg Special B (300.0 SRM) Grain 1.45 %
45.17 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (60 min) Hops 27.1 IBU
24.19 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
24.66 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (10 min) Hops 5.4 IBU
24.66 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (5 min) Hops 3.0 IBU
0.81 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
2 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05(56))Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 6.88 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 19.42 L of water at 74.3 C 66.0 C
10 min Mash Out Add 12.95 L of water at 99.7 C 78.0 C

Notes:
------
mash 66

Thinking of trying the Dr.Smurto Golden Ale as well after reading so much good stuff about it.

I have a question about the yeast, would WLP001 American Ale Yeast or a Coopers yeast recultured from a CPA be the best bet?

I have a slant in the fridge of both and have not tried the coopers yeast ever, just kept a bit from a bottle once to try at some point. Is it a good candidate for this beer?

(Or go completely off the rails and use a lager yeast?)

thanks
Bjorn

I have a question about the yeast, would WLP001 American Ale Yeast or a Coopers yeast recultured from a CPA be the best bet?

Go for it! I would lean towards the WLP001 personally.

Bottled version of the Mo-Brau, 1.5% Special B into the DSGA. Late hitting bitterness in this version which I dont mind at all, I may dry hop the remaining 15L in the keg... unlikely though!

My coworkers enjoyed this beer and it helped raise some more $$$ towards Movember.

DSCN3540.JPG

Hey all, When is the whirfloc added? This will be my first AG brew and I don't want to miss anything out.
Cheers :)

Hey all, When is the whirfloc added? This will be my first AG brew and I don't want to miss anything out.
Cheers :)

Whirfloc, or irish moss, is used in the last five minutes of the boil. I crush half a tablet and dissolve in a small cup of tap water. It helps coagulate the proteins.

hey

inspired by the "move to all grain for $30" article i am going to give my first all grain a go, and this recipe will kick it off. hopefully it all goes well!

cheers
carty

Hey Carty,

how did the virgin AG go?

did mine a coupla months back and loved it. All gone :chug:

Bowie

Bowie,

Yeah, I followed this recipe from their Website.

1. Australian Premium Lager
Boil 20 grams of Tettnang hops for 10 minutes in 1 litre of water. Turn off the heat. Add 20 grams more Tettnang hops and leave to soak for 1-2 minutes. Pour through a kitchen strainer into your fermenter.

Add 2 litres of cold water, the wort kit and pitch the yeast. Saflager 34-70 or Wyeast 2124 or 2278 would be good choices. Ferment at 10 12 degrees. Or you could use a US56 yeast and ferment at 18 22 degrees.

Using US56 (OR 05) yeast.

Feels a bit like cheating in buying the Wort - but if it tastes good then I will be happy.

Digger

Digger,

I went interstate last weekend, but the day before I left, I purchased a FWK from G&G. The guy at the counter said "aaah, a cheat's beer, hey?" I felt guilty but if time is an issue it's still cheaper than buying two cases of whatever commercial beer you drink.

How did it turn out, did you dry hop?

Bowie

Brewing my 1st major modification of this recipe on Sunday.

Swapping out the wheat for rye.

Thommo is currently fermenting a rye version so thought i'd do the same.

Might also use munich II.

The next variation after that is to try carawheat in place of the caramunich and maybe use dark wheat.

Oh my Dr S - you're my brewing hero.

I tried this because I thought JSGA had potential and I've enjoyed all of your recipes I've made in the past.

I essentially followed your recipe except for using a little less munich2 than your specified munich1 then
I nochilled and added the last hops in secondary - a day or 2 before kegging.

So much better than JSGA - flavour and aroma to burn.

Now I'm off to check what other recipes you have ... B)

Hi All,

Just put this down as my second ever all-grain using the BIAB method. Once I'd finished the boil, I transferred to a no-chill cube, about 21 litres all up with around 2 litres left in the pot due to trub and hop gunk. I started with 32 litres.

I took a reading from the left over gunk and it gave me 1030, which is obviously not great.
2 questions really:
1. Can you get a different reading from the left over liquid in the pot than the actual wort?
2. If this reading is correct, can I bump it up on brew day with a can of extract? Otherwise, I reckon I might get an alcohol content, post fermentation of around 2.9%. Still tasty no doubt, but a bit on the light side!

Cheers and a Happy New Year!

p.s. - I know I have some issues with my brewing. I'm doing everything I think I can. The only part that might be suspect is my thermometer. It's on those cheap $10 jobs, so it's possible that it might not be accurate. Would this make a difference?

Hi All,

Just put this down as my second ever all-grain using the BIAB method. Once I'd finished the boil, I transferred to a no-chill cube, about 21 litres all up with around 2 litres left in the pot due to trub and hop gunk. I started with 32 litres.

I took a reading from the left over gunk and it gave me 1030, which is obviously not great.
2 questions really:
1. Can you get a different reading from the left over liquid in the pot than the actual wort?
2. If this reading is correct, can I bump it up on brew day with a can of extract? Otherwise, I reckon I might get an alcohol content, post fermentation of around 2.9%. Still tasty no doubt, but a bit on the light side!

1. I don't know for sure but I would read from the fermenter rather than the gunk. Was the gunk hot? Higher temps will give you lower gravities so you need to adjust to 20 degrees.
2. Yes you can add malt extract or sugar to bump up an OG. Just make sure you are clean and sanitary. I would normally boil up some dme, cool it (covered with clig film while it cools) then gently add it in.

1030 is low, but it could turn out to be a good quaffer of the lower alcohol variety. I would double check your gravity when ready to pitch the yeast.

As per Manticles post, there is no issue adding dme or similar afterwards to beef it up more.

The other thing to remember is to check your pre-boil gravity. This will fix your OG (proportional to final volume) so if you hit target pre-boil volume, you will know if you're efficiency is good before you boil. Still need to adjust to 20 degrees.

The other thing to remember is to check your pre-boil gravity. This will fix your OG (proportional to final volume) so if you hit target pre-boil volume, you will know if you're efficiency is good before you boil. Still need to adjust to 20 degrees.

I opened up the cube today to get a second opinion. I drew off a quick sample and the re-sealed it, spraying with no rinse sanistiser and expelling the air again. This time my reading was 1042, so much better! I'll know to let the wort cool before I get a reading next time. Having said that, I think I still need a new thermometer anyway. Thanks for all the advice.

Latest posts

Back