RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I opened up the cube today to get a second opinion. I drew off a quick sample and the re-sealed it, spraying with no rinse sanistiser and expelling the air again. This time my reading was 1042, so much better! I'll know to let the wort cool before I get a reading next time. Having said that, I think I still need a new thermometer anyway. Thanks for all the advice.

If you opened the Cube you will need to get it in a fermenter and fermenting now, as any air-bourne bugs/bacteria will have got to the wort and cause an infection in the cube even with the precuations you have taken.

Gavo.

LOL dude. Yeah I think im with Gavo on this one.

Yep have a look at a similar experience that Tony had Here.

Gavo.

Ok, righto. I've got a packet of Wyeast that is smacked, ballooned up and ready to go into a starter. I guess I'll skip that and pitch right away.

Brewing my 1st major modification of this recipe on Sunday.

Swapping out the wheat for rye.

Thommo is currently fermenting a rye version so thought i'd do the same.

Might also use munich II.

Kegged this lunchtime on NYE. Rye in place of wheat, munich II and combined cascade and amarillo for late additions.

To my amazement all my megaswill drinking mates attacked this tap rather than the german pilsner. The next morning i lifted all the kegs to check them and the rye GA was almost empty. Pils is ~1/4 full.

Will be making it again very soon. Rye is my new favourite malt.

Will add some crystal rye next time as well.

Digger,

I went interstate last weekend, but the day before I left, I purchased a FWK from G&G. The guy at the counter said "aaah, a cheat's beer, hey?" I felt guilty but if time is an issue it's still cheaper than buying two cases of whatever commercial beer you drink.

How did it turn out, did you dry hop?

Bowie

Yeay, I dry hopped.
Drinkable but still not really great. I think the Tattnanang Hops are too ovepowering. Not sure what I'll brew next. Might try smaller batches until I can find a flavour I like.

It's the Wyeast Thames Valley 1275. I pitched it last night and the wort is now sitting at 18 degrees in my brew fridge.

I'm pretty sure this brew is rooted :angry: :(

The Wyeast I pitched took a couple of days to get going, so it could have developed an infection. I drew off a sample today to check with the hydrometer and it was really bad. Has anyone tasted an infected brew before? This one tasted and smelled quite chemically. I thought that might have been due to maybe not thoroughly washing out the cube when I cleaned it with pink stain remover, but I'm pretty sure that was not the case. I even tasted a bit of the wort once i poured it into the fermentor and it was fine.

I was due to rack this to secondary and add some more Amarillo. Should I not waste my hops and just ditch it?

I'm pretty sure this brew is rooted :angry: :(

The Wyeast I pitched took a couple of days to get going, so it could have developed an infection. I drew off a sample today to check with the hydrometer and it was really bad. Has anyone tasted an infected brew before? This one tasted and smelled quite chemically. I thought that might have been due to maybe not thoroughly washing out the cube when I cleaned it with pink stain remover, but I'm pretty sure that was not the case. I even tasted a bit of the wort once i poured it into the fermentor and it was fine.

I was due to rack this to secondary and add some more Amarillo. Should I not waste my hops and just ditch it?

Chemical as in band-aid/disinfectant?

Did you use chlorine as a sanitiser?

i made this the other day, I scaled it up to 23 litres and substituted a portion of the pilsener malt with light DME (maintained same gravity as recipe) because I wanted to keep all the same ratios of spec malts and I am only able to mash a max of 3.5kg of grain with my current gear. All went well so should be a nice brew.

Chemical as in band-aid/disinfectant?

Did you use chlorine as a sanitiser?

Band aid for sure. I used the pink chlorine stuff, but washed it all out and sanitised it with brewshield. Maybe I was not thorough enough.

Band aid flavours can relate to infection but they can also relate to a reaction between your brew and chlorine which result in chlorephenols. Chlorephenols have a lower taste threshold than chlorine and are usually described as smoky, clovey band-aidy or medicinal.

I've had trouble with it before. If you use chlorine you need to make sure you rinse well (unless you use no-rinse proportions and I'm not sure how much I trust that myself). Rinsing with super hot (ie boiling water) will drive off residual chlorine as will sodium metabisulphite.

However - take this with a grain of salt but all my brews that have relied strongly on Amarillo have given me a weird medicinal hint which others drinking it don't seem to pick up on. It's something I have to experiment with as I generally love amarillo and have a house beer that uses it in spades. I also found that the brew I had which most likely hadn't been rinsed after bleach treatment (and which didn't use amarillo) mellowed out after a good few months in the bottle. I still have one left (around 6 months old now) so you may be lucky.

Do you have room to ferment anything else while you wait and see? Otherwise chuck it and start afresh

Band aid flavours can relate to infection but they can also relate to a reaction between your brew and chlorine which result in chlorephenols. Chlorephenols have a lower taste threshold than chlorine and are usually described as smoky, clovey band-aidy or medicinal.

I've had trouble with it before. If you use chlorine you need to make sure you rinse well (unless you use no-rinse proportions and I'm not sure how much I trust that myself). Rinsing with super hot (ie boiling water) will drive off residual chlorine as will sodium metabisulphite.

However - take this with a grain of salt but all my brews that have relied strongly on Amarillo have given me a weird medicinal hint which others drinking it don't seem to pick up on. It's something I have to experiment with as I generally love amarillo and have a house beer that uses it in spades. I also found that the brew I had which most likely hadn't been rinsed after bleach treatment (and which didn't use amarillo) mellowed out after a good few months in the bottle. I still have one left (around 6 months old now) so you may be lucky.

Do you have room to ferment anything else while you wait and see? Otherwsie chuck it and start afresh

My gut reaction tells me that it will never be drinkable. It's definitely more than a hint, more like a punch in the face! I don't have another fermentation space, so I think i'll leave it until I brew next (probably next weekend), check it once more and then chuck it if it's still as bad as it is now.

This was my first all grain brew. Mashed it on the 17/01/10 and bottled it on the 25/01/10. Cracked my first bottle yesterday arvo. It was fantastic.

I had previously done the kit and bits recipe and I can honestly say that the AG recipe is another step up in quality.

This wont be the last time that i brew this beer.

I think I'm gunna do this as my first AG brew (bit of a trend forming eh?).

I noticed the notes said to change the malt as follows...
2.4kg JW trad
0.25kg JW Caramalt
0.8kg Weyermann Pale Wheat
0.8kg Weyermann Munich 1

And also to change the Amarilo additions to 20min with no dry hops. What does this mean exactly? Just one bittering and one 20 minute addition? What IBU should be achieved with each addition?

I think I'm gunna do this as my first AG brew (bit of a trend forming eh?).

I noticed the notes said to change the malt as follows...
2.4kg JW trad
0.25kg JW Caramalt
0.8kg Weyermann Pale Wheat
0.8kg Weyermann Munich 1

And also to change the Amarilo additions to 20min with no dry hops. What does this mean exactly? Just one bittering and one 20 minute addition? What IBU should be achieved with each addition?

The malt is up to you. I've made it with all weyermann and also all JW.

The change in hops means for a 20L batch - 20g @ 20mins, 20g @ 0 mins. Keep the total IBU to 30 so adjust the 60 min addition accordingly. Whenever i design a recipe the 60 min hop addition is the last and is used to hit the target IBU.

I prefer this schedule as the amarillo is boiled for longer for some flavour and the flameout addition is for aroma. Note that i chill so this will need changing if you plan on no chilling. I believe the no chillers don't add the 0 min addition and add it post ferment?

I brewed this for the second time a few weeks ago and has been in the keg for two weeks now.I have tried a few glasses and it comes out cloudy even though I used gelatine in the fermenter and is almost a orange colour.The taste is like a pineapple orange friut drink, does anyone know what I might have done wrong.It doesn't look or taste like the first golden ale I made.

Cheers Andrew

Hi,
my first version was also pretty orange looking and murky, but after a week or so in the fridge after completed bottle carbonation it suddenly dropped bright and clear :D

After 2 weeks in the keg you should already be seeing some improvement, I would have thought?
Is it unclear if you tap a glass and let it warm up to room temperature?

thanks
Bjorn

Back