RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am sure you are right.
In two minds between following the original recipe as the JSGA is one of my clear favourites and my first try at the recipe was "so so" or going off-road by changing the recipe to a darker version. My head says stay on the path and my heart wants to try something different :p

crystal:
I have 100gr of cracked Crystal in the freezer from my last Australian Lager, should I add that?

IBUs:
Will have a play with the recipe again tonight about the IBUs, but should I reduce the initial POR or the 20 min Amarillo then?

carbonation:
The last couple of beers I have made I have actually gone the other way, and used 3.0 volumes of CO2 and bulk priming. I know this sounds like a lot, but after pouring into a jug to get off the sediment and then pouring into a glass, often leaving the rest in the jug in the fridge until finishing the first glass as well I find 3.0 volumes seems ok. I makes for a quite fizzy beer which I don't mind and it makes sure the second glass has a bit of bubbles as well. Not sure how much % that relates to, just thought it was 0.5% without knowing where I read that.

thanks again for your help,

Bjorn

Drop the IBU by playing around with the 60 min addition not the flavour and aroma additions (other than scaling for volume). Carbonation is low. JSGA isn't fizzy, it says so on the label! So if you love JSGA then carb it low. the crystal is fine.

Play around with it by all means, don't just make changes because i suggest it. Its your beer so brew it the way you want to!

Will be making my own variation of this beer, goes as follows,

2.4kg Golden Promise
0.8kg Weyermann Rye
0.8kg Weyermann Vienna
0.15kg Carahell
0.1kg Cararoma

20g Amarillo @ 60 min
15g Amarillo @ 10 min
7.5g Amarillo @ 5 min
7.5g Cascade @ 5 min
7.5g Amarillo Dry Hopped to Secondary

looking forward to the results, I've made the original recipie and loved it so i felt id make an alt version for some fun, pretty safe recipie im thinkin, I'll get pack to this forum when I've made progress!

Cheers from the Drew! :icon_cheers:

Have made 2 rye variations of this beer and the next version will be using vienna instead of munich.

I also love the cascade/amarillo combination! I recall Muckey gave me a bottle of his version many moons ago which was an amarillo/cascade combo. Beautiful it was.

Yeah I agree, a less intense combination then centennial and amarillo which i find is a little much, by the way slight mistake in hop scedule, was actualy...

20g Amarillo @ 60 min
15g Amarillo @ 10 min
7.5g Amarillo @ 5 min
7.5g Cascade @ 5 min
7.5g Cascade Dry Hopped to Secondary [not Amarillo]

I've also been playing around with perle and cascade to get floral and citrus together, might try something of the sorts after this recipie!

Drewey :icon_cheers:

from BS grain library ;,... Toasted malt can be made at home by toasting pale malted barley for 10-15 minutes at 350 F [177 C]. Similar to Biscuit or Victory malt - this malt adds reddish/orange color and improved body without sweetness. Toasted flavor. Mashing required to avoid haze.

Toasted malt can be made at home by toasting pale malted barley for 10-15 minutes at 350 F [177 C]. Similar to Biscuit or Victory malt - this malt adds reddish/orange color and improved body without sweetness. Toasted flavor. Mashing required to avoid haze.
Randy Mosher, Radical Brewing (page 92) suggests, in regard to amber and brown malt: "You can also easily roast your own. Start with uncrushed pale or Pilsner malt and pop it into a 350F (190C) oven for thirty to forty-five minutes. Pull a few grains out and taste them, they will taste much darker than they look. You want a rosy pale copper color, although nutty toasty flavors start to come in when the malt is just starts to turn in color."

did this brew today, the darker version.
Ended up with EBC 30 and IBU 28 and OG 1.040, will hopefully be ok.

thanks
Bjorn

im not quite sure i follow. it says use coopers sparkling for kit. then suggests to replace it with unhopped coopers. lol which do i do if i dont want to go all grain just yet?

im not quite sure i follow. it says use coopers sparkling for kit. then suggests to replace it with unhopped coopers. lol which do i do if i dont want to go all grain just yet?

If you are doing K&K then use the coopers sparkling kit.

The last comment is for those who do full extract brewing and don't want to use a can of hopped extract. This requires a 60 minute boil to achieve the same bitterness.

Which one do you do?

I brewed this with the coopers sparkling can & it's easily the best brew I've done in over 10 years of hit & (mainly) miss brewing. I couldn't keep it much under 26 due to the Adelaide summer & lack of a fermenting fridge (at the time). I'm going to get a double batch going in the fridge this weekend I reckon because I've almost run out already. This is the only beer I've brewed that mates have chosen over a coopers. I'll give the extract version a go at some point but I'm looking forward to bottling (& drinking) another 60 longnecks of the kit version 1st.

Thanks for putting the recipe up Dr Smurto. I've got several mates who love you for it.

Hatchy hopefully with some better temps they'll love it even more. :icon_cheers:

I love this beer its about the only beer thus far I've brewed more than twice. Its a beer I can sit down to at pretty much any time and most of my mates love it too. I was very dubious about getting freinds to try my home brew but since so many of them have loved this beer I've been willing to get them to try some others (with mixed results I have to admit lol)

I did my maiden brew on my new 70L SS Beer Belly Kettle on the weekend. I've done this beer a few times with my old dodgy 19L BigW 3V system so i know the beer (and love it!) and having done it this weekend on my new kettle BIAB style I'm looking forward to tasting the results.

Cheers!

:icon_offtopic: PS new kettle from BB is :icon_drool2: awesome! anyone thinking of buying brew gear should definately concider BB bling!

I meant to meantion earlier that I "accidentally" used 100g of amarillo in my version of this. The thought didn't even cross my mind that I could save some hops for a future brew. I'm not sure if dry hopping 40g may have hidden some of the undesirables from brewing too hot, I'm also not sure if it may have been going slightly over the top. It was great to have a mate who reckons he "doesn't like hoppy beers" telling me how great it was. I can't remember if I told him how much hoppy goodness went in. I reckon I kept quiet until he was on his 3rd glass before saying that I could probably find a less hoppy beer if he wanted 1.

I kegged my first one on the weekend and dry hopped 20g. Tasting pretty good already I must say after probably 36 hours in the keg!

Replace the pilsner malt with 1.5kg of liquid extract and add that after the boil. Top up to 20L.

So just mash the munich/wheat and caramunich.

Rough calcs
1.50 kg Pale Liquid Extract
1.00 kg Munich I
1.00 kg Wheat Malt
0.20 kg Caramunich I
20.00 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (60 min) Hops 23.6 IBU
15.00 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (10 min) Hops 6.4 IBU
15.00 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (5 min) Hops 3.5 IBU

Based on a 15L, 60 min boil.

Thanks smurto,

Any dry hopping at secondary? Also my fridge got turned off to accomodate the toaster and then I forgot to put it back... the brew ended up at 25c :( it was only for a few hours as that morning it was at 18c but 12 hours later it had gotten up to 25c. Recon I've buggered it? I'll just have to down it quickly and start again ;)

Dry hopping is good if you no chill or if you want loads of hop aroma.

I personally don't dry hop this beer as i find a 20g flameout addition more than adequate (yes, i am a chiller).

US05 is a very tolerant yeast. Dont worry about the temp increase. As long as it spends the majority of the time at 18C you'll be fine.

Dr Smurto, thank you for this recipe,

My first all grain stove top BIAB was done using your recipe, it was an 11 litre batch that looked like this ...

1.25kg JW Traditional
0.50kg JW Munich I
0.50kg JW Wheat Malt
0.15kg Caraaroma

10.0g Amarillo 60mins
7.5g Amarillo 10mins
7.5g Amarillo 5mins
7.5g Amarillo flameout

US05

It was absolutely fantastic, it was a very well balanced and flavoursome beer, it was very similar to JSGA except slightly darker, and hoppier

I think the caraaroma gave a beautiful golden colour to the beer, I'm guessing it may have ended up around 3 EBC darker than JSGA

I have since done it again using your Pils/Caramunich recipe and much prefer the ale malt version

The next one I do will be a 20 litre batch, adjusting the caraaroma with some lighter crystal to lighten the colour a little, and adjust the hops to be less in your nose and more in the body of the beer, this is what I will brew;

2.50kg JW Traditional
1.00kg JW Munich I
1.00kg JW Wheat Malt
0.15kg Caraaroma
0.15kg JW Caramalt

20g Amarillo 45mins
20g Amarillo 20mins
10g Amarillo 10mins
10g Amarillo 5mins

Based on my over gravity boil volume, I get 30IBU and 24EBC in Beersmith

I suppose what it is important here is that your recipe was the first AG I did and it turned out to be a fantastic beer, that good that I will now focus on only doing AG beers, so I thank you for opening my eyes

If you look at the Recipe DB entry you will see that Dr Smurto somewhat agreed with you adjusting his hop schedule to 60, 20 and flame out, with no dry hopping, and that was his award winning recipe, so I'd go for that schedule (and indeed I am, my next brew will be 20g@60, 20g@20 and 20g@0)

Sampling the first bottle of my first batch of this now at two weeks. After tasting it while bottling it, I have been hanging out for the two weeks to pass. The amarillo is something else - there is almost a taste of passionfruit hanging around in the background. I imagine it will smooth out a little as time passes, but I'm not certain this batch will last all that long - right now I am kicking myself that I only stuck one in the fridge. I have another that I bottled last weekend, so it *may* have a chance to get a bit of age on it. I brewed it according to the (AG) instructions, and at this point can't see that I will be changing much about it - I might fiddle with the yeast, if at all. This one will become a regular at my place.

Simply an awesome beer - cheers Dr Smurto.

This recipe is brilliant, isn't it!

Two of the guys at the brew clubs always keep it on tap, it is a stable favourite I am told and liked by all.

I made one that I split in two, fermenting half with WLP001 liquid American Ale yeast and the other half with recultured Coopers Ale yeast from a couple of longnecks of Cooper Pale Ale.

Had a tasting today at work, all 4 of the guys thought the WLP001 version was better than the Coopers version.
The hops seemed to stand out a bit more, more fresh and crisp while the version using Adelaide's finest seemed a bit more subdued, or bland even.

Personally I thought they tasted very similar, but from the others I gathered that was just my lacking taste ability :D

Looking forward to how my Darker Golden Ale will be, thinking of doing this beer again for the the case swap in July,

Bjorn

Looking forward to how my Darker Golden Ale will be, thinking of doing this beer again for the the case swap in July,

Bjorn

Sounds interesting - what, and how much of, did you add to achieve this? I would be interested to hear how this turns out...

Darkened it a little by using some roasted wheat.
Going for a darker color with still light body and hopefully the same hop profile as the original Dr.Smurto's.

I only made a half batch to test, so this is for 12.5 litres:

1.00 kg pale malt
0.30 kg wheat malt
0.20 kg munich malt
0.100 kg crystal malt
0.050 kg roasted wheat (EBC1300)
0.45 kg cane sugar

60 min: 10 gr of Pride Of Ringwood 10%
20 min: 7.5 gr of Amarillo 8.6%
0 min: 7.5 gr of Amarillo 8.6%
(+ 10 gr Amarillo after a week in the fermenter as hop tea, 2 min in hot water, then the tea in the fermenter)

Color: EBC 30.9 (amber ale)
Bittering: IBU 29.8 IBUs

OG was 10.040
FG was 1.008
Alc % before bottle carbonation: 4.2%

Dropped the temp to 1 degree now after 13 days in the fermenter, and did a hydrometer sample.
Smells nice and hoppy, the color is amber. Not as dark as I would have thought, maybe even add some roasted barley for the next one?

The hydrometer has dropped another 2 points the last 4 days of upping temp from 16 to 18 degrees and giving it a swirl, so that seemed to work well.

Running out of time, so thinking of just leaving it a couple of days at 1 degree and bottle straight from primary for once. Need to get it carbed up and tested so I can see what I want to change for the case swap :D

thanks
Bjorn

Just a heads up to anyone.

If you dry hop and think you may as well take the bag out when it's done and squeeze the hoppy beery liquid out into a glass and drink it, think again. :icon_vomit:

Latest posts

Back