RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need a bit of help with this one.

This was my first ever AG beer and my first time using wheat malt.

I've done 3 different ales since.

My other ales all came out relatively clear with just a bit of chill haze at first which went away after two weeks in the keg. My second beer you could read a book through even though it's an amber ale.

But this Golden Ale is still very hazy, as hazy as the day I kegged it. I'm also not loving the flavour as much as other people seem to. The malt seems fine yet bland, and the hops seem to not be to my taste.

I was wondering what possible reasons there could be for my beer to be so hazy. I even left a half-drunk glass out over night and the next morning at room temperature it was still just as hazy. Would it have been a mash problem? Dry hopping maybe?

No secondary or finings, but I never do that and it's been 2 months in the keg and the haze is still there after warming the beer up.

So from what I understand it's not chill haze and it's not suspended yeast.

Dunno if it's a mash problem, like unconverted starches or something like that? Maybe I mashed too low or lost too much temperature over the mash period.

No secondary or finings, but I never do that and it's been 2 months in the keg and the haze is still there after warming the beer up.

So from what I understand it's not chill haze and it's not suspended yeast.

Dunno if it's a mash problem, like unconverted starches or something like that? Maybe I mashed too low or lost too much temperature over the mash period.

Hey Mark, im definatley no expert , but this was also my first AG brew about a month ago,

Before i kegged it i crash chilled and used gelatine as a fining in a cube ( i think i chilled it for about 48 hours from memory ) then i transferred it to the keg
Its been in the keg for two weeks now (and very nearly empty) And i have noticed that as time goes on the clearer it is getting.
the first few glasses i poured where very hazy and you couldnt even see the shadow of your fingers thru the glass....
The glass that i had last night, well it was so clear i could watch the tele thru it.
As im not very experienced in any type of brewing, my guess is that its clearing is a combination of the gelatine and the cold conditioning that is occuring naturally in the keg??

This is just my experience and my observations, if i need to be corrected on anything, let me know! :)

Cheers!

I'm also not loving the flavour as much as other people seem to. The malt seems fine yet bland, and the hops seem to not be to my taste.

You might be one of the people, myself included, who find even the best made all amarillo beers to be not to their taste.
I think Amarillo needs some backup hop wise. Great blended but not on its own for me.

I've tested this theory with a couple of beers of my own and various ones and there's always an edge to the flavour that just doesn't sit well with me.

You might be one of the people, myself included, who find even the best made all amarillo beers to be not to their taste.
I think Amarillo needs some backup hop wise. Great blended but not on its own for me.

I've tested this theory with a couple of beers of my own and various ones and there's always an edge to the flavour that just doesn't sit well with me.

Yeah it almost seems to have home brand orange juice taste to it if that makes sense? Just a subtle bit of that flavour.

I didn't do myself any favours squeezing the dry hop bag into a glass and tasting it...

Im looking on the grain and grape website for the grains to make this and cnt locate:

Weyermann Pale Wheat

Weyermann Munich I (is this just pale munich?)

Anyone help out with a substitution from G&G?
cheers

Im looking on the grain and grape website for the grains to make this and cnt locate:

Weyermann Pale Wheat

cheers

Yes, munich 1 is also called pale or light munich.

You can use any of the brands - dont feel you have to stick to Weyermann.

Joe white wheat or powells wheat will be fine. I'm guessing weyerman weizen is actually pale wheat and weyermann weizen dunkel is dark wheat.....

Weyermann Pale Wheat

cheers

I brewed this 2 weeks ago with grains sourced from G&G. The grain bill ordered from G&G was as follows:

800g Weyermann Munich Light
250g Weyermann Cara Munich 1
800g Weyermann Cara Wheat
2400g Weyermann Pilsner

Not sure if its right, but the brew has turned out pretty well thus far.

Drinking a bottle right now from a batch I put away about ten weeks ago. The hops have really smoothed out - this is one of the best beers I have made... Highly recommend it.

I made a version of sorts of the 'Award winning GA' on the weekend. Thought it would be a good 2nd AG brew to do due to the high regards this recipe has received. Unfortunately i couldnt get any Munich so I had to substitute that with Vienna. Will be interesting as to how it comes out, or if anyone has an idea already of how it will be, i would be interested in knowing! (yes i'm impatient!) The rest of the recipe was as stated in the RecipeDB down to a tee.

Cheers,

Dylo

This ended up tasting pretty good near the end of the keg which I polished off a week or two ago.

I think next time I'd not dry hop with Amarillo and I'd try and make the grain bill a bit more like JSGA.

Would this recipe still be ok if all the grain bill was subbed to joe white?
Or would this deter too much from the original?

Would this recipe still be ok if all the grain bill was subbed to joe white?
Or would this deter too much from the original?

Go for it!

It looks as though the good doctor does this himself and has won awards doing so.

from the recipe page:

EDIT 12/10/08
My latest variation used JW trad and JW caramalt instead of Wey Pils and Wey Caramunich. Hops adjusted to 20 min and flame-out. No dry hopping. Scored 46/50 at ANAWBS 2008 and was best beer of show (bottle conditioned for 2 months).

Another question if I may Doctor,
I'm not sure about the hop additions. Is it 20g at 60 min, 20g at 20 min and 20g at flameout? Or is it 20g at 20 min and 20g at flameout?
Thank You.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: 15 - Doc's Golden Ale
Brewer: Dazza
Asst Brewer:
Style: Special/Best/Premium Bitter
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 27.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.049 SG
Estimated Color: 14.3 EBC
Estimated IBU: 30.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.76 kg Pale Malt, Galaxy (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EGrain 57.98 %
0.95 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 19.96 %
0.75 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 EBGrain 15.76 %
0.30 kg Caramunich I (Weyermann) (100.5 EBC) Grain 6.30 %
20.00 gm Centennial [9.70 %] (60 min) Hops 20.9 IBU
17.00 gm Amarillo [8.20 %] (10 min) Hops 5.5 IBU
17.00 gm Amarillo [8.20 %] (5 min) Hops 3.0 IBU
17.00 gm Amarillo [8.20 %] (1 min) Hops 0.6 IBU

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 4.76 kg
----------------------------
ERROR - All Grain/Partial Mash recipe contains no mash steps

Notes:
------
Mash 66deg 90min
Pacman @ 16
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is how I do Docs Golden ale. Bloody quaffer

under,

would you be able to post your beersmith recipe for this, I am just finishing off my keg boiler and about to purchase some grains for my first AG brew and thought your recipe would be good to try as some members are shying away from amarillo as the only hop for this brew.

Or being my first AG should I just follow the recipe as written minus the dry hopping?

Thanks under,

With the mash in/out,
what are the water volumes and is the mash out at the same temp as mash in?(66c)

Latest posts

Back