RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You couldn't go too wrong using this grain bill and any of the american hop - cascade, cetennial, chinook - alone or in combinations. Then there's Citra... mmmmm.
d
Hi There,

Could the Amarillo hops be substituted with cascade or centennial or would this deter too much from the desired flavour?

2nd biab underway. added a 15 min proteen rest despite being told its a bit of a waiste in biab, figure it cant hurt too much so long as i can ramp temp up quick enough(dont think i did in my first attempt resulting in a beer 3points lower than expected, but anyways), only a 60min mash at 66 for this one? followed by a 10 min mashout at 78. well thats the plan. Ansel Adams Ale tomorrow and pretty sure i can fit 4 fermenters in my fridge, so maybe an ag attempt at a dark ale extract i made not long ago, on saterday. plenty of fun to be had

cheers for the recipe doc

red

I did this one again today .

As I am sittng there watching it boil away I notice my scales are still reading 0.25.

After a quick look I see that in the confusion that is trying to work from home ..on a call to NT ..with a 1 year old crawling around ...and the Ashes on tv ..I'd forgot to add the caramunich.
still on the scales..

oh well.

I ended up doing a 90 min mash as well.

OG 1050

tasted pretty damn good staight from the pot.

Maybe I have made some sort of flukey great beer.

As I am sittng there watching it boil away I notice my scales are still reading 0.25.

After a quick look I see that in the confusion that is trying to work from home ..on a call to NT ..with a 1 year old crawling around ...and the Ashes on tv ..I'd forgot to add the caramunich.
still on the scales..

oh well.

OG 1050

I don't think you can mess this beer up, it will taste great!!

still on the scales..

oh well.

OG 1050

You could steep the caramunich for 30 mins in 65C water (2 parts boiling, i part tap water), strain and then boil for 15 mins. Cool and add to the beer gently and prior to it reaching FG.

Or you could leave it and decide whether you like it dry which is how i suspect it will turn out with the bitterness slightly accentuated on the finish.

Hi Guys,

Total noob here,

I brewed this on christmas day, all was well. I mashed at the correct temps, but I didn't sparge, I forgot too, lol.

Boiled for 90 mins etc,

Anyway, siphoned into my carboy, gave it all a good shake for a few minutes, I don't have an aerator yet. Pitched the yeast. Wacked on an airlock with some starsan in it.

The next day all was good, a nice bubbling fermenter and a decent krausen. woohoo.

But now she's dead, no krausen, nothings doin' ???

I never took any gravity readings either. This was my first go at brewing and I just wanna see what happens..

Cheers guys

Did this one yesterday, 1st brew in the new urn.
Smelt good going into the fermenter - great recipe.

Cheers

Hi!

Just brewed this recipe yesterday and got some funny numbers. 33.5lts preboil at corrected SG of 1.043. Using 4.25kg of grain all the efficiency calculators come out to the impossible result of around 110%. Postboil was 25lt at 1.053 which again seems to come out around 99%. Given that this is BIAB im highly skeptical of the results :D. Any ideas?

Cheers

Fil

ordered the grain for this beer from craftbrewer the other day, they milled it and bagged it and labelled the bag golden ale... i guess they see it come through often enough to recognise it straight away :)

ordered the grain for this beer from craftbrewer the other day, they milled it and bagged it and labelled the bag golden ale... i guess they see it come through often enough to recognise it straight away :)

I often wondered if they would recognize some orders as specific recipes!

Going to do this recipe in the next week or 2. Have only done it once and it was my first recipe for extract. Now I have a few AG under my belt I am going to turn it out of the urn. :icon_chickcheers:

Brewed this for my New Years party (all grain) and it was such a hit it all went on the night. Even my Corona drinking friend who never touches anything else couldn't keep his hands off the tap. I think it will be a regular here in the forest.

Brewed this for my New Years party (all grain) and it was such a hit it all went on the night. Even my Corona drinking friend who never touches anything else couldn't keep his hands off the tap. I think it will be a regular here in the forest.

My next brew will be this one, but with all Cascade substituted for the Amarillo.

What water profile is suggested for this brew?
I brew with tank water, which by my estimation gives me almost a blank canvass.
What additions can anyone suggest?

Apologies if this has been discussed earlier in this thread, but I'm not keen to scan 13 pages of this thread to see if this has been discussed previously

Thanks for any help.

My next brew will be this one, but with all Cascade substituted for the Amarillo.

Apologies if this has been discussed earlier in this thread, but I'm not keen to scan 13 pages of this thread to see if this has been discussed previously

Thanks for any help.

I would go a bit harder warra
sav

Thanks for any help.

My additions to rainwater (assuming <0.1 ppm for all brewing salts as a base) are 10.0g CaSO4 and 3.0g CaCl2 per 35L of base water resulting in Ca 90, SO4 160, Cl 41 ppm pre-boil.

Cheers
DrSmurto

p.s. deleted last nights rant, broke my own rule about posting on forums whilst drunk :(

Thanks DrS.

And Sav, it will make it a bit harder.

All good. ^_^

Hi All
Put this on tap today ,Fantastic - as good as if not better than the commercial version.
Thanks to the good Dr for an awesome recipe.

try brewing without all the worry of water compiss tion
id bet you would know the differance brew 2 brew

speedie

try brewing without all the worry of water compiss tion
id bet you would know the differance brew 2 brew

speedie

If you'd read my post, you'd realise I now brew with tank water, so there are minimal to no salts in there.
That's why I asked the question.

I know how my local tap water is constituted, but it tastes horrible to drink, and I think must have some influence on my beers. That's why I've gone over to tank water.

Are you suggesting the tank water, which must be close to distilled or RO water, is suitable to brew all beers without some brewing salt additions?

Hey Guys,
Forgive me if this has already been touched on, but have had a quick browse and can't see it....

In the recipe, you have:-

KIT VERSION
1 can Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale
1 can Coopers Wheat Malt
250g Caramalt (or other light crystal)
15g Amarillo @ 15, 5 and dry hop.
Yeast - US05

Is this how I would do it without using hops etc?
If so, is this suitable for being bottled, or is it more suited for kegging?

Cheers in advance, really want to give this a crack

Back