RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You still need hops (amarillo) for the kit version.

Bottling or kegging should both be fine - depends what you have available.

Have made this a lot of times, most recently with the ale malt and the 20 & 5 minute additions with no dry hopping. Very nice, smoother and less bitter than the "main" recipe.

Hi all,

Looking to do this recipe as a Kit and bits today with my first ever use of specialty grain but I think I may have got the wrong grain. I couldn't see Caramalt at the LHBS, so asked and was told the Coppertun Cracked Crystal grain is the same or close enough. Also, I'll be using my remaining Cascade instead of Amarillo. Does anyone know if this would work:

Coopers Sparkling Kit
Coopers Wheat Malt Extract can
250 g Cracked Crystal grain
Cascade as per hop schedule in recipe

Or should I wait and try and get caramalt? Also, do I need to grind the grain finer somehow before I steep it.

Hi all,

Looking to do this recipe as a Kit and bits today with my first ever use of specialty grain but I think I may have got the wrong grain. I couldn't see Caramalt at the LHBS, so asked and was told the Coppertun Cracked Crystal grain is the same or close enough. Also, I'll be using my remaining Cascade instead of Amarillo. Does anyone know if this would work:

Coopers Sparkling Kit
Coopers Wheat Malt Extract can
250 g Cracked Crystal grain
Cascade as per hop schedule in recipe

Or should I wait and try and get caramalt? Also, do I need to grind the grain finer somehow before I steep it.

You will be fine, Caramalt is just what JW call their light Crystal. Just steep it for half and hour of so and you should be in good shape.

It's a tasty brew and I'm sure you will love it! I just laid the AG version down again on Friday but replaced the hops with pearl for something different, smells great!!

You will be fine, Caramalt is just what JW call their light Crystal. Just steep it for half and hour of so and you should be in good shape.

It's a tasty brew and I'm sure you will love it! I just laid the AG version down again on Friday but replaced the hops with pearl for something different, smells great!!

Excellent. Thank you for that. Wil I need to grind the grain somehow or is it fine as is? I've read that you get more sugars the finer you grind it

Excellent. Thank you for that. Wil I need to grind the grain somehow or is it fine as is? I've read that you get more sugars the finer you grind it
You will need to crack the grain, don't make it too fine with loads of flour though. Makes it easier to remove the grain before you boil the liquid.
Cheers
Nige

Brewed this recently, and have just sampled the first couple of bottles. I'm impressed, and intend to brew this again soon.

Very good recipe, good flavour and easy body, nice mellow malt, balanced bittering with a lingering finish.

2400.00 gm Premium Pilsner (2.5 EBC) Grain 56.43 %
825.00 gm Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 19.40 %
778.00 gm Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 18.29 %
250.00 gm Caramunich II (Weyermann) (124.1 EBC) Grain 5.88 %
25.00 gm Cascade '10 [5.00 %] (Dry Hop 9 days) Hops -
28.00 gm Cascade '07 [6.30 %] (60 min) Hops 20.7 IBU
35.00 gm Cascade 09 [7.40 %] (10 min) Hops 11.0 IBU
25.00 gm Cascade '10 [5.00 %] (5 min) Hops 2.9 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days) Misc
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [Starter 3000 ml] Yeast-Ale

Mashed 65 min at 65.4C, boiled 75 minutes.
OG 1.050, FG 1.010, 21 litres.
Bottled and carbonated to 2.2 volumes.

Brewed this recently, and have just sampled the first couple of bottles. I'm impressed, and intend to brew this again soon.

Very good recipe, good flavour and easy body, nice mellow malt, balanced bittering with a lingering finish.

2400.00 gm Premium Pilsner (2.5 EBC) Grain 56.43 %
825.00 gm Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 19.40 %
778.00 gm Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 18.29 %
250.00 gm Caramunich II (Weyermann) (124.1 EBC) Grain 5.88 %
25.00 gm Cascade '10 [5.00 %] (Dry Hop 9 days) Hops -
28.00 gm Cascade '07 [6.30 %] (60 min) Hops 20.7 IBU
35.00 gm Cascade 09 [7.40 %] (10 min) Hops 11.0 IBU
25.00 gm Cascade '10 [5.00 %] (5 min) Hops 2.9 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days) Misc
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [Starter 3000 ml] Yeast-Ale

Mashed 65 min at 65.4C, boiled 75 minutes.
OG 1.050, FG 1.010, 21 litres.
Bottled and carbonated to 2.2 volumes.

+1 This is my first BIAB and it is great. Can't say anything else !

I used this recipe as my first all grain and i have to say it's one of the best beers i have tasted top marks ten stars! thanks,
beermonster17.

Like many others, I used this recipie to crack my "AG (BIAB) Cherry" the other week. Was also my first attempt at milling my own grain.

Given the limitations on space and equipment, I only made a 15l batch. Used both amarillo and centennial for hops (50/50 on all additions), but otherwise stayed true to the recipie

Hop additions were made at 60, 20 and flameout.

Forgot to put whirlfloc in, and also forgot to put chiller in to sanitise before end of boil. As the sink is not big enough to accomodate the brew pot, simply crossed my fingers and tipped the whole post-boil vol (11.5l) into the fermenter and topped up with cold water before chilling down to 18 in the ferementing fridge.

Pretty happy with OG of 1.041 - was a little worried about this as didn't have a computer available when brewing to make any adjustments to wort depending upon my efficiency levels.

Pitched US-05 and good fermentation got it down to 1.012 after 4-5 days. Planning on leaving it in the fermenter until next weekend to ensure as much trub drops out as possible before getting it into bottles.

Tastes pretty good so far, and have learnt a bunch of things during my first AG effort. Can't wait for round two!

Thanks to Doc for the recipie and to AHB generally for inspiration, knowledge and (occasionally) very funny random banter :p

I am getting ready for a brew day this Saturday, & this recipe is looking very likly to be one I'll do.

I am not quite set up for full AG yet, but my partials are turning out nicely, so I was figuring the following partial based upon the original recipe in the DB & the kit version:

* Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale (1.7kg)
* 0.8kg Pale Wheat
* 0.4kg Munich
* 0.25 Caramunich
* 1.0kg Pilsner

That makes up 2.45kg of grain ... as I normally use 2.5kg for my partial mashes I figured that looks right.
The hop schedule will be as per the recipe in the DB.

Does this look right for a partial version of this recipe?

I am getting ready for a brew day this Saturday, & this recipe is looking very likly to be one I'll do.

I am not quite set up for full AG yet, but my partials are turning out nicely, so I was figuring the following partial based upon the original recipe in the DB & the kit version:

* Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale (1.7kg)
* 0.8kg Pale Wheat
* 0.4kg Munich
* 0.25 Caramunich
* 1.0kg Pilsner

That makes up 2.45kg of grain ... as I normally use 2.5kg for my partial mashes I figured that looks right.
The hop schedule will be as per the recipe in the DB.

Does this look right for a partial version of this recipe?

Ran this through beersmith and if you up the total target volume to 23L, do a full volume boil and add the extract 15 mins from the end you should hit the OG and IBU.

I did a version of this about a month ago, and subbed the Amarillo for galaxy flowers. I played around with beersmith till i got the bitterness right, and its pretty drinkable, not over the top passionfruit like i have read about galaxy.

Oh, I just had a thought (just after sealing the fermenter) .. .are the 0 min hops supposed to go in the fermenter?

PS: my OG was close to recipe @ 1050

They can go in then but you will probably get better results if you put them in when you rack to secondary...

Edit: Some people find that some of the aroma is driven of during the initial stages of fermentation...

Oh, I just had a thought (just after sealing the fermenter) .. .are the 0 min hops supposed to go in the fermenter?

PS: my OG was close to recipe @ 1050

0 mins are usually flameout additions. Hops into fermentor, eg after racking, are usually dry hop additions. If you don't rack you could add them to fermentor after say 5 days and leave for at least another two days before bottling-kegging.
Cheers

0 min additions are flameout additions in all my recipes unless the notes say otherwise.

There are 2 versions of this recipe if you read the notes down the bottom of the recipe in the recipeDB.

The original has 10 and 5 min additions and then the 0 min addition is a dry hop in secondary (or after fermentation is complete if you don't rack).

The 'award winning' version and the one i feel is better balanced has 20 and 0 min additions with no dry hopping. The 0 min addition in this case is a flameout addition.

As long as you chill the wort the flameout addition is more than enough to get a nice amarillo aroma. If you no chill then dry hopping may be necessary.

Ok, that's good then because what I did with the 0 min was add at flameout & then chilled using my immersion chiller.

Fermenters are now happily "blooping" away :)

If I feel it needs more aroma after kegging, I'll think about throwing 15gms (pellets in a "sock") into the keg

Hey RobH, I'd do what do what drsmurto said B)

should have looked back at the recipe again.

Back