RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I prefer this schedule as the amarillo is boiled for longer for some flavour and the flameout addition is for aroma. Note that i chill so this will need changing if you plan on no chilling. I believe the no chillers don't add the 0 min addition and add it post ferment?

Yeah, that's how I did it with no-chill to get the aroma from the Amarillo. (for the record: dry hopped at about 3/4 to final gravity, transferred to secondary at final gravity for 2 weeks with a tbsp of sugar, bottled and conditioned for a month. Great aroma.)

Has any1 got a decent Partial grain recipe for this? I can do 15L boils...

I've had a look through this thread, but I cant see one. Maybe I just missed it...

Jet

Have a look at the notes on the recipe in the database. Dr. put the partial and extract recipes there.

Edit: Sorry he only put a kit version recipe up there. I'm not sure about a partial.

Has any1 got a decent Partial grain recipe for this? I can do 15L boils...

I've had a look through this thread, but I cant see one. Maybe I just missed it...

Jet

Replace the pilsner malt with 1.5kg of liquid extract and add that after the boil. Top up to 20L.

So just mash the munich/wheat and caramunich.

Rough calcs
1.50 kg Pale Liquid Extract
1.00 kg Munich I
1.00 kg Wheat Malt
0.20 kg Caramunich I
20.00 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (60 min) Hops 23.6 IBU
15.00 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (10 min) Hops 6.4 IBU
15.00 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (5 min) Hops 3.5 IBU

Based on a 15L, 60 min boil.

I brewed this for the second time a few weeks ago and has been in the keg for two weeks now.I have tried a few glasses and it comes out cloudy even though I used gelatine in the fermenter and is almost a orange colour.The taste is like a pineapple orange friut drink, does anyone know what I might have done wrong.It doesn't look or taste like the first golden ale I made.

Cheers Andrew

Sounds like a lot of hop aroma to me. Amarillo is a citrus hop. I'd say the proteins in your beer are coming through as hill haze.

Hi all,
reading on the label of the James Squire Golden Ale, it says it has roasted wheat and barley.

Has anyone tried modifying the Dr's recipe to include small amounts of these?

I started playing with the beersmith file, but the roased additions seriously change the color, even at 100 gr each.

thanks
Bjorn

Hi all,
reading on the label of the James Squire Golden Ale, it says it has roasted wheat and barley.

Has anyone tried modifying the Dr's recipe to include small amounts of these?

I started playing with the beersmith file, but the roased additions seriously change the color, even at 100 gr each.

thanks
Bjorn

My dodgy memory tells me the label says toasted, not roasted.

I have played around with using darker kilned malts (munich 2, dark wheat) but have got stuck on my current variant of rye instead of wheat and caraaroma instead of the caramunich/caramalt.

your dodgy memory is correct,..."toasted grains of wheat and barley"

I did it exactly as the recipe DB and Doc is right, it is a dead set quaffer...
I opened a bottle after 1 week, as i religiously do just to check how things are going, and it too was very cloudy but tasted awesome. After 2 weeks in the bottle the cloudiness did not completely dissappear but had significantly reduced. After 3 weeks in the bottle it had really come into it's own, beautiful, clear and an absolute treat to drink. I even took a bottle to my local pub owner and he loved it a lot.
I will be making this for sure again soon.

YB

Ah, "toasted", not "roasted"...

Should have checked that before ordering my last grain order..

I have ordered grains for a half batch of the Golden Ale but adding some roasted wheat and roasted barley.
I also added a bit of sugar and replaced the early Amarillo with POR just as I have some of that handy.

Will be interesting to see how it turns out, if nothing else as an alternative recipe if not as good as the original one :D

thanks
Bjorn

Good idea replacing the pilsner malt for Thomas Fawcett Golden Promise, or Thomas Fawcett Maris Otter? It's what I have lying around at the moment!

Cheers Drew

I brewed this for the second time a few weeks ago and has been in the keg for two weeks now.I have tried a few glasses and it comes out cloudy even though I used gelatine in the fermenter and is almost a orange colour.The taste is like a pineapple orange friut drink, does anyone know what I might have done wrong.It doesn't look or taste like the first golden ale I made.

Cheers Andrew

Hi Andrew,

When you say pineapple fruit drink, do you mean sweet? The Amarillo will lend some great tropical fruit flavours, but not a sweetness. Did you use enough hops? Were they fresh? What was the FG reading?

When the beer is cloudy, the orange colour will seem more intense than when the beer is bright, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. And this is meant to be a golden ale, so a golden colour is desirable. Not sure why it isn't dropping bright though. I only ever had one beer that didn't clear after gelatine, and it was due to infection. Well, I imagine it was the infection that kept it cloudy - the beer tasted horrible but I kept it on tap for a month to make sure. It was still cloudy and horrible after a month, so it got tipped.

Got the EBC's back from Dave's Homebrew, adding roasted barley and wheat will make it even darker than I thought..

EBC is now 43.5 while the original file from Dr.Smurto has EBC 13.4.
Hmm...

Is there such a thing as toasted wheat and barley, or does that mean variants of crystal malt (for the barley)?

Thanks
Bjorn

Got the EBC's back from Dave's Homebrew, adding roasted barley and wheat will make it even darker than I thought..

EBC is now 43.5 while the original file from Dr.Smurto has EBC 13.4.
Hmm...

Is there such a thing as toasted wheat and barley, or does that mean variants of crystal malt (for the barley)?

Thanks
Bjorn

Crystal wheat or caramel wheat is available from the sponsors.

Munich and vienna are what i think of when toasted malts are mentioned. Slightly higher temperature kilned than ale/pils malts and add a nice bready flavour (munich) and almost honey like (vienna).

My current 'golden' ale on tap is 30 EBC using caraaroma as the crystal malt (as well as rye instead of wheat and galaxy instead of amarillo)

Mmmm, that sounds nice!

I am making only a half-batch of this so I can get around to do an "improved version" faster.

Thinking

Darker Golden Ale:

boil size 12.5 litres for 10 litres in fermenter

1.00 kg of base malt
0.30 kg of wheat malt
0.20 kg of Munich, light
0.05 kg of roasted wheat
0.40 kg of cane sugar

10.0 gr POR (10%AA) @ 60 min for 22.4 IBUs
7.50 gr Amarillo (8.6%AA) @ 20 min for 8.7 IBUs
7.50 gr Amarillo (8.6%AA) @ 0 min for 0 IBUs

(plus
0.5 whirlfloc
2.7 gr of Chalk CaCO3 in mash for Sydney Prospect water)

This should give

OG: 1.036
FG: 1.008 (guessing it won't go as low, my beers never go below 1.010)

EBC 27.2
IBU 31.3

and an alc % of 3.65 before bottle carbonation, so say 4.2% in the bottle.

Does that sound like an OK variant, DrSmurto?

A little doubtful about the mashing temp..
Adding a bit of sugar to "lighten it up" while considering a higher mash temp due to low OG.
May just be confusing myself here :lol:

I don't really want to go any higher than 4% in the bottle but at the same time considering adding sugar. Maybe better to increase base malt and take out the sugar..

Thinking the POR rather than Amarillo should be ok, as the essential oils will all have evaporated and only bitttering resins left after 60 mins anyway.
(and I have more POR than Amarillo in the freezer).

Not so sure how clever the roasted wheat part is, though..

Never used it so want to try, but hoping I am not making too dark and heavy on the roasted side of things.

I love this part of the process, the hmm'ing and aaah'ing in beersmith and playing with different grains, reading about them on craftbrewer, looking up the mineral values in Palmer, and generally feeling like a mad scientist. Ignoring the fact that it has been done a million times before, I really like it!

thanks
Bjorn

You will only get another 0.2-0.4% abv on carbonation and since this isn't a fizzy beer I'd suggest the lower end of the scale.

So if it was me I would up the OG to 1.040 minimum.

If you want to lower the OG from the original you will/should/might want to lower the IBU to keep it balanced. For an OG of 1.036 (assuming you want to stick with that) drop it back to 25 IBU.

If you want it lighter in body then mash lower. 64-65C. I'm not a fan of adding sugar (even though the general consensus is that JSGA is brewed with a % of sugar) but your are right, by doing so you will lighten the body and lower the FG.

Your % of crystal is also lower so you need to take that into account as the residual sweetness provided by crystal malts won't be there. If you want a darker beer that's fine but I would still be adding some lighter coloured crystal malt as well as the pinch of roasted wheat (which you are unlikely to taste)

Munich and vienna are what i think of when toasted malts are mentioned.

I tend to think of biscuit, victory and brown malt when talking about toasted. Any of these would go well in this recipe, and I just brewed an amber ale with 150g brown malt the other day and it has a really nice toasty flavour to it.

You will only get another 0.2-0.4% abv on carbonation and since this isn't a fizzy beer I'd suggest the lower end of the scale.

So if it was me I would up the OG to 1.040 minimum.

If you want to lower the OG from the original you will/should/might want to lower the IBU to keep it balanced. For an OG of 1.036 (assuming you want to stick with that) drop it back to 25 IBU.

If you want it lighter in body then mash lower. 64-65C. I'm not a fan of adding sugar (even though the general consensus is that JSGA is brewed with a % of sugar) but your are right, by doing so you will lighten the body and lower the FG.

Your % of crystal is also lower so you need to take that into account as the residual sweetness provided by crystal malts won't be there. If you want a darker beer that's fine but I would still be adding some lighter coloured crystal malt as well as the pinch of roasted wheat (which you are unlikely to taste)

I am sure you are right.
In two minds between following the original recipe as the JSGA is one of my clear favourites and my first try at the recipe was "so so" or going off-road by changing the recipe to a darker version. My head says stay on the path and my heart wants to try something different :p

crystal:
I have 100gr of cracked Crystal in the freezer from my last Australian Lager, should I add that?

IBUs:
Will have a play with the recipe again tonight about the IBUs, but should I reduce the initial POR or the 20 min Amarillo then?

carbonation:
The last couple of beers I have made I have actually gone the other way, and used 3.0 volumes of CO2 and bulk priming. I know this sounds like a lot, but after pouring into a jug to get off the sediment and then pouring into a glass, often leaving the rest in the jug in the fridge until finishing the first glass as well I find 3.0 volumes seems ok. I makes for a quite fizzy beer which I don't mind and it makes sure the second glass has a bit of bubbles as well. Not sure how much % that relates to, just thought it was 0.5% without knowing where I read that.

thanks again for your help,

Bjorn

Will be making my own variation of this beer, goes as follows,

2.4kg Golden Promise
0.8kg Weyermann Rye
0.8kg Weyermann Vienna
0.15kg Carahell
0.1kg Cararoma

20g Amarillo @ 60 min
15g Amarillo @ 10 min
7.5g Amarillo @ 5 min
7.5g Cascade @ 5 min
7.5g Amarillo Dry Hopped to Secondary
7.5g Amarillo Dry Hopped to Secondary

looking forward to the results, I've made the original recipie and loved it so i felt id make an alt version for some fun, pretty safe recipie im thinkin, I'll get pack to this forum when I've made progress!

Cheers from the Drew! :icon_cheers:

Back