RecipeDB - BullsHead Summer Saison

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ill let you now brewed the summer saison today with no chill hop adjustments,split my farmhouse(still have 3*30ml vials)pitched into a 1040wort which is now on the stir plate krausen and bubbling like mad! ready to chill tomorra arvo and pitch.
Really wanna know wot its like so i can get another pack before Wyeast makes it dissapear for a few more years.
Mate how original is that acidulated malt its like a yellow sherbert lolly every grain,lovr it
let you know how it turns out!!!! :beer:

have you had a chew on it?

is the acidulated malt just for flavour? im just curious as to how it affects the mash ph and how much of the lactic character comes through in the final product?
ive done a few saisons and the one thing im struggling to get right is that bit of tartness in the beer.it always seems for me atleast to have all the right sort of flavour notes coming through but tartness is always lacking.

Give it a go!

Its not like licking a sour lolly... it just adds a touch of tart and also drops the pH... which i think helps the Saison ferment out better.

cheers

thanks tony i will have to give it a go. it usually takes a good month to finish out so if the acidulated drops that to 3 weeks it will be good to be drinking it sooner!just thinking aloud but could i mash as usual with my usual salt additions and add the acidulated in the last 5 or ten minutes of the mash after the majority of conversion is complete so as to not affect my mash ph, sort of like what poeple do with dark malts?

Just kegged my attempt at this with 3711. What a cracking beer! Can't wait till Thursday going to have a great day drinking this!

It's so good! Came out quite dry with subtle clove and spice flavours perfect lawn mower beer

haha awsome work!

And yes it is great lawnmower beer..... although i need lawn boat at the moment

Ahhhhh i have 2 kegs of this.... split batch with different yeasts.

Now all i need is the boat :)

Tony,
Have been reading the posts on your Saison recipe and thought i would give it a crack as i have never brewed a Saison before and a lot of blokes have been commenting on it. I didn't follow your recipe exactly so hopefully it doesn't turn out too bad. Just brewed a 50 ltr batch of this on sunday. OG 1057. Subbed the Weyermann wheat with Joe White wheat and subbed the Goldings for Fuggles. Also used WLP568 Belgian Saison Yeast Blend, made a starter and within 2 hours she was climbing out of the flagon bottle, it's fermenting at 26 Degrees at the moment and doesn't seem like she's going to slow down any time soon. Guess i just play the waiting game now.

Sounds like a cracker!

The idea of the summer saison is to keep the alc down under 5% to make it a aussie summer quaffer..... but i recon yours will hit 7%.

If its a lawn mower beer you could call it the "Missing Toe Saison"

:p

yeah looks like she might be a sipper not a quaffer, might just wait until after the mowing"s done to have a few thirst quenchers.
I'll let you know how she goes.

Ive done 4 of these and they are dangerously nice. Have to wait to put the next one down - its even too hot for saision - 44C

Sounds like a cracker!

The idea of the summer saison is to keep the alc down under 5% to make it a aussie summer quaffer..... but i recon yours will hit 7%.

If its a lawn mower beer you could call it the "Missing Toe Saison"

:p

My first attempt at a saison (fermenting at the moment) had an OG of 1060 (was aiming for 1052). I made some mods to my mash tun and my efficiency went through the roof. I think I also had a higer boil off than in previous brews too but can't be sure as I forgot to take an accurate post boil volume. I think this one will be for sippin', not lawn mowing as I'd intended. I'll recalculate for the higher numbers and try again. Early signs are very encouraging :)

Tony just tapped my keg of bullshead saison WOW bloody top drop SWAMBO tasted it and told me too brew another one ASAP! pity i have to work 2nite or id give it a nudge.I fermented it with the Farmhouse ale,might get some French Saison yeast and try that!
Cheers for the recipe mate keep em coming,bullshead wit should be ready to keg in a few days cant wait!
Glenn :beer:

Awsome!

I need to start work on my next creation i think. I only post up a recipe if its a cracker.

Back