RecipeDB - BullsHead Summer Saison

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a heat belt with thermo control. My saisons come out a treat!

Got this one planned again for this december.
Got great comments from mates on this like "Now i'd pay for this beer".

would goldings be ok to use instead of east kent goldings?

Cant say there would be one....... i made it up, but any saison will exhibit the qualities

I drank my last bottle last night... do yourself a favor people, put some away for 6 months. Saisons age so well.. :icon_drool2:
I subbed Styrians in for EKG and used Wyeast 3711PC French Saison. Still very yummy, awaiting the next batch to brew.
Cheers
Peter

my 2nd keg just went dry :(

Sad day at the Bulls Head Brewery.
Tony,

You did a side by side using Belgian and French yeast. What is your comparison of the two in the finished beer?

Regards

The belgian yeast was very fruity and floral. The french was quite tart and just tasted of lemon.

So i blended the 2 batches in a keg and it was the best saison i have ever made !!!

the flavor complexity was awesome.

I actually hopped that batch with B Saaz flowers and put 20g of flowers in each 17L cube...... :icon_drool2:

Temple saison uses 3 different yeasts - 3711 and T-58 feature from memory (t-58 is used to finish). Can't remember the third.

Slightly OT but I added some biere de garde yeast to a tripel I made with ardennes yeast recently, based on the above idea.

All tasting great except I will never again add large quantities of raw sugar to a pale Belgian beer - dex, plain white or pale candi only.

Looking forward to cranking out a few saisons in Summer again.

mmm me too.

I still have a cube of my Hibiscus citra ale i made last year waiting for some farmhouse ale yeast!

Well Tony im trying a modified version,only due to my stuff up.....instead of using pilsner malt i grabbed munich(not to self if putting malt in different bags friggen label them clearly!!!) so its mashing away now,got Farmhouse ale yeast built up ready to pitch(gunna cube and pitch later this week),
Do you think i should alter/increase the hop additions or leave as!!! will keep you informed on how the hybrid/marzen/saison turns out!!
:beer: cheers Glenn

Just put one in the fermenter with 3711 bugger me this yeast goes off

I made one earlier this year and used vienna malt as the base and it was awsome.

It should be fine mate....... let us know how it goes!

Done... OG 1.038, FG 1.007 after five weeks. Fermented at 22 for first two weeks, ramped to 26 for two weeks, then 28 to finish.

3726 Farmhouse did the work for me. Delicious balance of bubblegum and pepper, works well with super high carbonation.

Bloody refreshing drop. Nom nom nom.

Done... OG 1.038, FG 1.007 after five weeks. Fermented at 22 for first two weeks, ramped to 26 for two weeks, then 28 to finish.

3726 Farmhouse did the work for me. Delicious balance of bubblegum and pepper, works well with super high carbonation.

Bloody refreshing drop. Nom nom nom.

I checked out your blog and the rig looks good. Sounds like your getting more brews done than me, I'm still waiting for my BM from the Marks...lol should be in on Monday....then I can brew again.

Grain cracked and ready for a 40L batch on monday night. Bring it on! :)
One issue is I don't have any styrian or hallertau, so I'll be winging it with what's in the freezer.
Possible substitutions may be nelson sauvin, perle flowers or boadicea.... or play it safe and go summer saaz all the way.

Faily clean and soft. You dont want any hard harsh stuff in there.

I usually use a bit of CaCl in the mash to avoid sulphates and keep the low bitterness smooth and soft. Calcium Chloride will accentuate a bit of sweetness which wont hurt in an acidic dry beer.

But if you have good clean soft tap water... just use it as is!

cheers

Faily clean and soft. You dont want any hard harsh stuff in there.

I usually use a bit of CaCl in the mash to avoid sulphates and keep the low bitterness smooth and soft. Calcium Chloride will accentuate a bit of sweetness which wont hurt in an acidic dry beer.

But if you have good clean soft tap water... just use it as is!

cheers

I'm going for this...

Water.png

Thoughts?

Back