RecipeDB - BullsHead Summer Saison

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm drinking this at the moment. Love it. Get a lot of bitter sour fruits and Belgian funk. God it's easy to drink.

I just blew one keg yesterday and the other has one beer left in it i recon..... its very light. :(

May have to make one more batch before summer is gone (if it ever shows up to start with) with farmhouse ale yeast i think.

I just blew one keg yesterday and the other has one beer left in it i recon..... its very light. :(

May have to make one more batch before summer is gone (if it ever shows up to start with) with farmhouse ale yeast i think.

Tony, apologies to go off topic... my 3724 has slowed, almost stalled. It has been running 29-32 degrees consistently.
The only way i could keep the temp constant was to wrap my fermenter in a woollen blanket and pop the whole lot on the heat pad.

The base of the fermenter is covered by the woollen blanket as well. I'm trying to keep the yeast cake off the direct heat (as best i can!)

As i type i realise i am only 16 days into the fermentation. S.G. has moved from 1.036 to 1.020 today. patience required?

One thing I noticed with mine was how much quicker it fermented. Went from 1039 to 1010in 4 days being held at 30.c then down to 1008 in a week where it said would finish.

patience required?

Yes mate patience is the key

Just keep it warm but dont overheat it.

This yeast is famous for this trait and unfortunately (and i did at first too) people pannic and try overheating it or risk infection by stiring it etc etc.

Just keep it warm in a blanket, and kick it in the corner for 2 weeks and check again.

When i use this yeast i plan 4 to 5 weeks fermentation, if its done faster its a bonus

cheers

Thankyou...I would never open it up and stir, but i was considering racking and re-pitching....Patience it is!

my 2nd keg just went dry :(

Sad day at the Bulls Head Brewery.

Mine just coughed,farted and died :( like everybody else just waiting for summer
Top drop with the farmhouse ale Tony!!!!

i have some farmhouse ale in a starter but its ging on a cube of Hibiscus ale......

Might knock one last one out for the summer and put it on some FHA.... Id love to try it in this recipe!

FG advice needed.

I brewed this beer (well similar) and followed the stated mash schedule, possibly hitting 62 instead of 63 and 70.5 instead of 72. I expected the FG to be around 1.003 as per Tony's recipe info.

Pitched 23/1 @ 1.035
Reading 9/2 @1.0095 (impressed at this point - fermentation happening at a good rate for this yeast reputation)
Reading 20/2 @ 1.008 (1 point in 11 days? finished?)

Readings taken with a refractometer and adjusted with an online refract adjusting calculator (onebeer.net). It fermented at ambient 27 to 30 degrees.

I am note sure whether it has finished or not? Is taking 11 days to move a point of gravity normal for this yeast?

I have read the advice about patience. I am wondering if others have tracked their gravity over the course of the fermentation with this yeast and noticed similar or different?

I will wait another week and then contemplate hitting it with a 1469 starter (rinsed yeast from previous brew) to see if i can get it down to 1.004 region...

Recipe i brewed
-----

Bullshead Saison altered (Saison)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.039 (P): 9.8
Final Gravity (FG): 1.005 (P): 1.3 (NOTE: increased attenuation in brewmate settings to match Tony's expected fg)
Alcohol (ABV): 4.50 %
Colour (SRM): 5.8 (EBC): 11.4
Bitterness (IBU): 19 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)

70.18% Pilsner
12.28% Munich II
12.28% Wheat Malt
5.26% Caramunich I

0.5 g/L Magnum (12.5% Alpha) @ 80 Minutes (Boil)
0.2 g/L Magnum (12.5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

Wyeast 3724 - Belgian Saison

Notes: Mash - 52 for 10 mins

63 for 45min (got 62.5)

71 for 15 min (got 70ish)

1L starter of 3724 in ambient brewroom on stirplate started 21st.

18 L of 1.035 wort (8g Magnum @ 70 FWH and 4g in cube and nochilled at 80ish C.)

munich and caramunich........ theres your problem :p

Id say its done mate.

Dont go pitching an english strain, it wont do a thing

Edit..... the other thing with low temp mashing, is that if you went a bit under 63 and your temp measurement is out by a deg or so which is not hard on myst gear we home brewers use, you could have suffered poor conversion on the low temp mash stage, meaning you got a bit more conversion over 70 deg, giving you a higher FG.... thats my feeling on it.

I recirc through a HERMS so geting the low temp mash done properly is easier than if i am just sitting it there in an esky. with temp drop etc, this could be the issue...... without knowing your system, its my best guess.

cheers

I'm looking forward to making this on Wednesday with farmhouse ale. :chug:

munich and caramunich........ theres your problem :p

Id say its done mate.

Dont go pitching an english strain, it wont do a thing

Edit..... the other thing with low temp mashing, is that if you went a bit under 63 and your temp measurement is out by a deg or so which is not hard on myst gear we home brewers use, you could have suffered poor conversion on the low temp mash stage, meaning you got a bit more conversion over 70 deg, giving you a higher FG.... thats my feeling on it.

I recirc through a HERMS so geting the low temp mash done properly is easier than if i am just sitting it there in an esky. with temp drop etc, this could be the issue...... without knowing your system, its my best guess.

cheers

OK, thanks for the advice mate. Will bottle it next weekend.

I have recently moved from 19L pot biab to a 70L pot - some issues with hitting and maintaining mash temps.

EDIT: Can't remember why i went the munich, another saison clone recipe had it iirc.

Tony, would you bottle it as is or try to dry it out with some dextrose?

Down to the last handful of bottles of this brilliant beer. I now know what I'll be brewing every summer from now on.
Actually I'm going to use a bottle in Merc's apple & cinnamon saison muffins sometime soon.

Yes mate patience is the key

Just keep it warm but dont overheat it.

This yeast is famous for this trait and unfortunately (and i did at first too) people pannic and try overheating it or risk infection by stiring it etc etc.

Just keep it warm in a blanket, and kick it in the corner for 2 weeks and check again.

When i use this yeast i plan 4 to 5 weeks fermentation, if its done faster its a bonus

cheers

My 3742 Belgian Saison got a second lease of life. F.G. down to 1.004, almost 4 weeks fermenting.....happy.

Thanks for the advice Tony.

Q1. If i bottle and condition does this yeast need high conditioning temps?

Q2. from what i have read I was thinking this style of beer would best suit medium to high carbonation as well?

Oh yeah, got a ginger beer kit that i may use the slurry on. one more brew before a break from brewing and it gets cooler.

My 3742 Belgian Saison got a second lease of life. F.G. down to 1.004, almost 4 weeks fermenting.....happy.

Q2. from what i have read I was thinking this style of beer would best suit medium to high carbonation as well?

Bump for the arvo....need some advice conditioning 3724 Belgain Saison.

Can it be primed and bottled as per usual?

And bump to the evening..

I'm hypothesising that as long as you condition it within the yeasts temperature range, it will carbonate.

Thinking the same.
This yeast stalled below 28 degrees C though.

It is going to get tucked away for a while, so hopefully time will suffice.
I am tempted to pitch another yeast for conditioning, so that i get my carbonation for sure.....just waiting for someone to say, she'll be right!

Back