RecipeDB - BullsHead Summer Saison

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 2 starters in the kitchen....... one 3724 and one 3711PC, and i have 2 cubes of a split batch of Summer Saison (with 5% Golden Naked Oats) to test them out side by side with.

Gunna ferement them side by side, filter them into seperate corny kegs and have them on tap on rotation changing the Saison tap over once a week to oposing kegs to see how they compare.

Also have 2 packs of Farmhouse ale now so will be giving that a run early next year.

cheers

My Farmhouse ale arrived today!!!! Now just gotta get some time to brew and the Sydney temp isnt hot enough for a 29dg ferment in the shed!...time to look for the heat pad
Tony if i cant get pale wheat,normal wheat malt ok?
my bullshead wit#5 is chugging away happily(its one of my most popular brews!!!) :icon_cheers:

Tony if i cant get pale wheat,normal wheat malt ok?
my bullshead wit#5 is chugging away happily(its one of my most popular brews!!!) :icon_cheers:

mate i used pale malted wheat in the Saison...... the Wit gets raw (unmalted) wheat.

I cant see any reason why you couldnt use raw wheat in the saison though....... wont be shiny clear but it will have that extra tartness that comes with the raw wheat...... mmmmm YUM :)

Id say if you use raw wheat..... halve the acidulated malt or you could call it canillion.

cheers

Mate have you got the mind going now!!!!!!!!!!!!! :icon_drool2:

well... they are in :)

2 fermenters with 17 liters of 1.047 Summer Saison. I will top them up with a few liters when i keg them...... should get 1.042 at 19 liters. That will still give me a 5% beer!

One with 3711

One with 3724

Garage sitting at 24 to 25 deg...... and no true summer days in sight........ Oh where is the heat when you need it :p

cant wait to get them in kegs side by side

Sun is out today, garage heating up to 28 :)

Both are off and racing.

I have a feeling 3711 will win :)

Finally got the farmhouse. Bloody Belgian yeast is slow - I'm having trouble pushing it much above 27 degrees and she's taken a week to get from 1047 to 1037 with very little krausen.

Patience and warm water baths for this little duck.

brewing this little number today. just picked up the farmhouse too.
How did you ferment this Tony? start off at 20 and then ramp it up to 30 after a few days? or just get it up to a high temperature as early as possible?
anybody have any experience with the farmhouse ale yeast, as in does it create a lot of heat during ferment?
just planning the fermenting schedule, and as manticle said above might struggle to get it to the 30 degree mark.

I used the farmhouse a while a go and the beer ended up infected.... my fault for rushing things.

With the belgian 3724... just get it hot.

Its belgian ale yeasts like 3787 and the like that you start cool and ramp etc.

Saison....... just crank it!

Mine was down to 1020 yesterday, took a week and a half to drop from 1030. I have an electric blanket set on low around it. Forgot to check the temp of the brew when i tested it (i'd bulk tested a couple of finnished brews beforehand)

Bottled mine last night. FG=1006. Wish I wrote somewhere the OG, but I think it was near my target 1052.
Tastes very promising

has anyone had any experience with the 3726 farmhouse at temps around 30. Couldn't find any information on it but it seems most people ferment with this yeast around mid 20's

Dude.... you would be best starting a new thread on that..... The recipe threads are maily for the recipe at hand..... not yeasts and use of ect :)

Im trialing 2 different yeasts in a batch of this recipe to get a feeling for what works best...... and i will do the same with the farnhouse ale yeast after xmas

i have 2 packs of the stuff and to be honest i still havnt researched the fermentatoin temps yet :p

cheers

First taste last night. Still undercarbed as I jumped the gun (under 2 weeks)
Crystal clear, refreshing with a slight sourness to it. Unlike anything I've ever brewed before.
Bloody awesome recipe, Tony! Cheers for sharing.

haha another happy brewer :)

My 2 fermenters of Summer Saison are going well.

The one with 3711 was done last weekend, sitting steady at 1.002

The 3724 was at 1.020. Garage has sat at about 25 to 28 deg.

I didnt add any heat to the 3724 cause i really wanted to test the difference the yeasts makes with this recipe. I will report the findings in the other Saison discussion thread.

So the 3711 fermenter is in the fridge chilling down to filter and i will go check the other fermenter now :)

cheers

A very sad xmas for me. There was a slight infection (dusty white cobweb) on my saison when i kegged it. I cooled and gassed hoping it may still be ok...

xmas morning was tipping two kegs of beer down the drain as undrinkable :icon_vomit: :blink: :blink:

A xmas i'll never forget. :(

A very sad xmas for me. There was a slight infection (dusty white cobweb) on my saison when i kegged it. I cooled and gassed hoping it may still be ok...

xmas morning was tipping two kegs of beer down the drain as undrinkable :icon_vomit: :blink: :blink:

A xmas i'll never forget. :(
I feel your pain.
I'm considering brett infecting a framboise to try and hide some strong clovey/phenolic notes.

Tony howd you go with the Farmhouse ale yeast? what ferment temp,ive got the day off might try get 2 brews down today and the Bullshead farmhouse saison is one!! :icon_chickcheers:

Ive not used it yet....... i have a split batch running 3711 and 3724 on tap at the moment.

Soon....... might make an IPA first, then give the summer saison a run with farmhouse ale.

cheers

Back