RecipeDB - BullsHead Summer Saison

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tanga i was thinking of doing the same thing....... make an extra 5 liters and put 4L in a small demi with some Orval dregs i kept from a bottle :)

I dont know if i add the dregs at the start of ferment or mid way or at the end........ hell my saisons get down to 1.002 with a cool mash.

So im thinking at the start :)

Mmmmmm may even get the dregs going in a starter and drop them in the full batch for some fun and extra funk :)

My 12 month old vial of Belgian Saison yeast took off over night so it will be good to go for sure!

Gunna use some Naked Golden Oats for fun and also got some Abbey malt to try.

Ooooooooooo its Saison season :)

Cheers

Could a ssaison benefit from a salt addition?

I heard that years ago but couldnt fathom it myself but am curious from those who have brewed one

tnd

Could you tell the difference.

Most brewers here add some salt to any beer and have heard numerous occasions of "salt" additions to Saison....to remake the stagnent water they are brewed with

tnd

Ok. Let's get serious for a minute (and I'm on the turps as well :D )
I'll put a bit of salt in some brews but not in my Saisons. I've only recently started brewing them and I think I'll always have one on the go from now bcs I like a bit of funk but not too much. The salt thing has got me interested in finding out more - unless you're bullshitting - but a mate of mine brews Gose's (take a bow, Perry) and you can definitely.........

187605.jpg

Yeah I am bullshitting as on the juice, but I dont think it goes astray, especially if you have very soft water.

tnd

Tony talked to G&G they are still waiting on their Farmhouse ale too arrive get your pre order in, should arrive this week they reckon!!!! mmmmmm cant wait :icon_chickcheers:

Ordered the yeast and acidulated malt for this yesterday from Craftbrewer.

Sheds about 35c now at the end of brew day, but was only 26 when i went in this morning.

May have to add an elec blanket on low for the first brew.

Tony talked to G&G they are still waiting on their Farmhouse ale too arrive get your pre order in, should arrive this week they reckon!!!! mmmmmm cant wait :icon_chickcheers:

Woo hoo...... My belgian Saison is going nuts in the starter..... cant wait to get this recipe in the fermenter again.

And folks......... the recipe threads are related to the recipe at hand. Im also interested in the salt line in a Saison but i think its best for a seperate thread!

cheers

My variation on your recipe, Tony.
A few differences due to what grain & hops I had in stock.
Cheers to Doc for the missing Aciduated Malt!

Summer Saison

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 23.00 Wort Size (L): 23.00
Total Grain (kg): 5.35
Anticipated OG: 1.047 Plato: 11.783
Anticipated EBC: 9.1
Anticipated IBU: 25.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
74.8 4.00 kg. BB Pale Ale Malt (2-row) Australia 1.037 5
18.7 1.00 kg. JWM Wheat Malt Australia 1.040 4
3.7 0.20 kg. CaraPilsner France 1.035 20
2.8 0.15 kg. Weyermann Acidulated Germany 1.000 5

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
35.00 g. Perle Pellet 4.00 20.9 60 min.
21.56 g. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 4.80 4.1 15 min.
28.75 g. Hallertau Hersbrucker Pellet 2.10 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP565 Belgian Saison I

Good to know i can sub some ale malt, pils is down to a few kilos left till my next bulk grain order.

I know it's not ideal, compared to Wey Pils, but what do you do hey?
Annoyed that I was at Daves last week picking up a fresh yeast and didn't think about getting Saaz, which I'm out of as well.
Lucky I've got a few other noble hops to get rid of choose from in my freezer.

Thinking of cancelling my planned wheat beer for tommorow and brewing this instead. i was thinking of doing a 90l batch and splitting into two fermenters, one in the house at ambient with us-05 and the other heated in the shed with the 3724.

Question being would the grain/hops bill make a good ale as well?

Would dearly love an answer to this one quickly so i can get the yeast going.

Got no advice so i just went ahead and did a 90l batch this morning.

All in the fermenters now, 42 litres with a swelled nicely wyeast pack in the shed, pitched at 32C

50l on top of a nottingham yeast cake from a rye beer in the house at airconditioned ambient.

First time i've done a quadruple batch and was quite happy at how i hit most of my targets.

I'm very glad the acidultated malt was less...powerful after the boil. Tasting the malt, and indeed the first runnings just reminded me why they call beer piss :icon_vomit:

Notso bad after the boil. :icon_cheers:

Hey Punkin

Sorry for the lack of reply.....

It will be a great beer with both yeasts!

If your not keen on the Acid malt..... you can reduce it or leave it out but it gives a great twang in this beer with the saison yeast.

cheers

The saison yeast is doing nought at this stage. The nott is going like a machine gun :icon_cheers:

Last time i pitched on this cake it was done in 24 hours. I think i'll get the same result.

Hopefully the belgian will pick up overnight.

Appreciate the response tony.

Pitched this recipe using french3711 a week ago before going camping. Ambient steady 21.5, came back to find gladwrap looking like it had a hard time containing the beast. Gravity 1003 so figure its done. Clear as ( did use brewbrite). Sitting at 0 C presently, smelt and tasted great out of fdrmenter, gotta keg this one soon.
cheers and thanks tony

Back