Real estate want me to remove my electric brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evanmilton

Reaction score
I rent an apartment in Nsw and the real estate wants me to remove my all grain electric brewery setup (Kal copy) from my garage . They got an electrician over to check it out and he gave it the all clear.
The real estate still claims a safety issue. Can they make me move it, I don't think they can??
My concern is they won't renew my lease if I don't cooperate.

It taken a year to build so I'm pretty disappointed about the whole affair.

Any thoughts out there?

Boxy

If it's signed off by an electrician (properly), I can't see how they can ask you to move it or even force you to.

They can't legally not renew your lease on the premise of you not removing it if it's deemed safe, however they can make up some other bullshit reason - You could go to VCAT (not sure what the NSW equivalent is) if you're concerned.

You said you rent an apartment and keep your brewery in the garage. Is it a shared garage? Maybe they're just not happy that it's in a shared space. I know the old bitties in my building would hate it if I put my brewing gear in our garage (even though there's a storage area for everyone to use...that nobody uses).

if it's garage who pays the electricity ? Body corp ?

Kill all real estate agents. It's the only solution really.

But seriously, I feel for ya. They can be pricks. Whatever you do, make sure all correspondence regarding this is in writing.

I'd say if you have an electrical safety certificate and it's not hard wired into the wall (assuming plugs) then you are being fair and reasonable.

Really there would be as much risk in operating a BBQ or a slow cooker. People amaze me every day, in good and bad ways.

I suggest you call in to the Real Estate agent to discuss and see if you can come to a suitable compromise.
If they refuse to discuss, I would mention discrimination and/or the Rent Board (or what they are called now).
Be aware that many statutory organisations are toothless tigers and you might be best to decide if they will help or hinder your situation.

Generally, the first visit to a solicitor costs nothing, and that would be my next step, if the real estate people refuse to negotiate.

Maybe remove it from the garage. Maybe into the apartment?

I ******* hated renting. Makes you feel like a scumbag the way those fuckers treat you.

Anyway you can contact the owner? Or ask them to?

Request a written statement from the agent that clearly states the reason/reasons why.
Make this request in writing yourself asking for a reply in kind,this creates a paper trail that can be used if all goes pear shaped .
I can't think of any reason this is happening but I'm no lawyer.
Having a sparky give it the nod is already a tick in the box for you.
Other than the above tell em to **** off,otherwise they'll want your beer fridge next,I reckon the agent may be.........

+1 for the paper trail and asking why it should be removed. they need to give you the exact reasons why, whether it be developmental or safety concerned, and if it doesn't fit into either, then you're completely well within your rights. i ******* HATE real estate agents.

It's not a shared space, it's my own lockup.
I'm going to call the real estate again today and ask nicely for them to reconsider. I don't think they have a leg to stand on with making me remove it but I just know that they can make up any reason to boot me out when my lease runs out in a couple of months.

Here's a pick of some of the hard work if anyone's interested . ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1424998802.374169.jpg

If it is home wired they are well within their rights unless you have it signed off by a licensed sparky. If you have an electrical safety certificate it's just another appliance and they would have to prove that it was damaging the property in some way. You need the certificate though, not just a 'yep all good mate,

from the landlord side of the fence, a home wired, non certified appliance is invalidating their building insurance and your contents insurance. Now they know about it they have to do something...

Hang on, in the OP you said they got a sparky over to check it, he said it was all good and then they still claim it's unsafe? Why did they bother getting a sparky in?

I agree with Kingmaa, if the sparky didn't give you a safety certificate before, get one now, and at least their reasoning based on safety goes out the window.

Good luck on the phone call, I'd write down a plan for the conversation just in case... find out the reasons why they want it taken out, offer any compromises you can, if possible even get *another* sparky in to check it all out and make sure you get a certificate - that way if they're completely pigheaded and want to take it all the way to court you'll have a much stronger case.

Call out the hunters from A Current Affair, before you get turfed. Save your documentation for them to present on television.

However, that may earn you a permanent blot as a renter.

Why don't you go and get correct advice form somebody who is qualified
to give you advice.

@Very supple , yeah their sparky came this morning and said it was all sweet as its a portable system, not house wired. He didn't test anything, but I can get a certificate of a mate if I need one. He was surprised they wanted it gone and hopefully he puts in a good word for me.. Haven't heard back from the real estate yet though and there not answering my calls, so I'm not sure if they will still claim a safety issue, they will probably change it to a strata issue.

Anyway I'll update on how things eventuate.

Back