Real estate want me to remove my electric brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Real Estate Tribunal is the body you need to deal with, they are part of Fair Trading and they hate fuckwit property managers.

AS a renter you have the same right to use of property as an owner.

As long as you are doing nothing illegal or damaging the property, then there is nothing they can do.

Ask what clause of the lease you are in breach of, I doubt they can find one.

If they can then negotiate. If all else fails Tribunal is your only way.

Unfortunately some property managers think they hold immense power because they can black list you, as such, keep your cool and don't piss them off.

I think you will find its going to be a misunderstanding of what it is you a re doing....maybe worth locating the reference to home brewing in law, you can find that if you search for alcohol excise, beer excise or some such shit, it states in the excise rules that home brewing is legal in Australia.

If you want to come live in WA I have a few rentals you are welcome to live in and have that brew rig in...

id hazard a guess that your getting complaints from your neighbours on brew days, you may be impacting on your neighbours with smells etc, if your a renter and upsetting owners your in for a tough fight. good luck and nice set up by the way.

TheBigD said:
not mine, sounds like reasonable grounds for a trade-in :ph34r:

How many separate circuits and what amperage are they in your garage, electric rigs require a fair bit of juice ?

seamad said:
not mine, sounds like reasonable grounds for a trade-in :ph34r:

How many separate circuits and what amperage are they in your garage, electric rigs require a fair bit of juice ?
Problem is when you trade in the Mrs the kids and house go with them, then you"ll find me posting about my real estate agent complaining about my brewery in my rental garage

TheBigD said:
id hazard a guess that your getting complaints from your neighbours on brew days, you may be impacting on your neighbours with smells etc, if your a renter and upsetting owners your in for a tough fight. good luck and nice set up by the way.

My thoughts exactly.

If you have troubles I can offer to store it at my place for free permanently :super:

some funny business from the neighbors is exactly what I first thought when they asked to look in the garage.

I give my landlord a longneck when he comes to do a house inspection, makes him pretty happy about all the brew kit and on top of that normally makes him think twice about rasising my rent

TheBigD said:
id hazard a guess that your getting complaints from your neighbours on brew days
I lived in a apartment block for years and used to brew on the balcony. One of the neighbours called the coppers cause they thought I was up to no good. The coppers turned up, laughed at the reason they'd been called and then spent the next 30 minutes talking about brewing and how to get into it.

Neighbours can be as bad/worse than property managers if they are nosy busy-bodies who are more concerned with the affairs of others than minding their own freakin business.

JD

evanmilton said:
some funny business from the neighbors is exactly what I first thought when they asked to look in the garage.
I'd put money on it. Do you brew with the garage door open and are there elderly ladies (to label them politely) in the neighbouring apartments? When we owned a unit I found the nosy old bitches elderly ladies next door knew everything that was going on. They were also the only ones to turn up to body corporate meetings and make unnecessary complaints. History repeats and after brewing for a couple of years in the new house my wife found two of our neighbours in our backyard inspecting my shed when they thought we weren't home. Turns out the demented hag elderly lady over the back fence told them my dog was locked in my little garden shed, the one with the new roof whirligig and strange equipment. I wished I'd been there to tell them they'd stumbled onto a biker meth lab and would need to climb into the boot of my car.

Good luck with your letter and argument. If anything, I'd take the controller off the wall so they can't argue you've mounted any electrical equipment.

Awesome setup too mate. Well done.

Start cooking meth and ask the agent if that smells better.

As a first port of call, I'd suggest you contact the advocate for tenants/renters in NSW to find your rights and get free advice before pushing it too far or getting legal representation etc. May I suggest the organisation called Tenants NSW. At least that way you'll know your legal rights.

Cheers

I haven't read the entire thread, but I live in an apartment (owner/occupier) and we constantly get notifications/warnings from the body corp about anything other than vehicles in the garage. Not just us either, but the entire building.

Pretty much everything is deemed to be a fire hazard.

My guess would be that that would be the crux of their safety issue.

My body corp advised I could store shit in a fire rated box and they'd have no issues.

TheBigD said:
Does that mean if I like to eat some funky stinky meat cooked on my BBQ that I can't have a BBQ in a rental with shit neighbours?

Les the Weizguy said:
I suggest you call in to the Real Estate agent to discuss and see if you can come to a suitable compromise.
If they refuse to discuss, I would mention discrimination and/or the Rent Board (or what they are called now).
Be aware that many statutory organisations are toothless tigers and you might be best to decide if they will help or hinder your situation.

Generally, the first visit to a solicitor costs nothing, and that would be my next step, if the real estate people refuse to negotiate.

Maybe remove it from the garage. Maybe into the apartment?
Second all that. Even if you end up paying for a solicitor, it beats eviction or, worse, not brewing.

There's no conflict of interest on my part. I am not a solicitor, barrister or law student and in fact know numerous lawyer jokes.

Back