Real estate want me to remove my electric brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much do you want for your complete set-up? Only joking, I hope it turns out well for you.

For the guys saying they hate real estate agents, maybe rethink it to "I hate the way some real estate property managers are towards tennants". Property managers are there to take money, protect the property of their client and to make arrangements for repairs and maintenance. No more, no less. No need to hate the person, just their actions. They are, after all trying to look after their clients $300-400,000 property which could well be their only fall back in retirement.

No sense in getting wound up, bitter and twisted just yet.

Take a breath.

That said, it sounds like a case of they have no idea. A Property Manager can't stop you from having a small scale brewery in a garage if it's not doing damage or at risk of doing damage to the property. So....good ventilation (Steam damage) , no dodgy plumbing add-ons, no stains anywhere, no holes in the walls, no risk of a fire, no wiring changes etc should not present any issues for either the PM or the owner if they understand the situation and understand that home breweries are perfectly legal.

Your best bet would be to sit down and draft up a carefully worded, non inflammatory letter, explaining that there are none of these issues (above) and include pics of it all. Then politely request the property manager to pass this on to and seek instruction from the owners of the property and if they still knock it back, then ask under which of the general lease conditions they are telling you to remove it under....remember "polite". Polite will always get you further.

As a landlord, personally I couldn't give a rats arse if a tenant ran a brewery that was well built and didn't cause damage to the property and I think most owners are the same. In fact one of them does. I think it'll come down to the PM not understanding what they are looking at.

Bloke here at work mentioned maybe they think it is illegal. Have they got you confused with a distiller? I'd clarify you are making beer, a perfectly legal hobby for home consumption. When most people think of home brew they think of plastic fermenters, tins and exploding bottles.

Take them in a couple of bottles and wink saying? " after you taste this, I'll assume this little issue we have to be sorted "

Mate,
Move to Bowral! I have a house that I rent and self manage, which backs onto my own residence. (2 seperate titles) Monster shed between us. Both our rigs can live in there.

Pros:
No real estate Agents.
Land lord is pro brewing
No electricity costs to you
Bulk buys
Pool

Cons:
I may drink your beer when you're not looking.
I may swin nude in your pool.
I may do both the above at the same time

Dam shame Boxy. The last Hef that came out of that system was winner. Might have to move 1km up the hill to Kerg's garage.

Kergman, the chalet will be the perfect destination for it should push come to shove. The hef is a winner.
Box

In NSW NCAT will deal with it. Was there recently and saw some realestate agents get owned. So have good documents, prove safe and legal and your sweet bro.

I've had issues with real estate agents a few times, the best thing to do is to only contact them through email for anything, that way you've got everything they said.

Last real estate I had to break the lease because of a serious mould infestation that i couldnt get rid of (was there when i moved in but a long spell of wet weather sent it crazy). Instead of trying to rent the house out they decided to renovate it instead. The tricky bastards still put an ad up on the net so it looked like they were meeting their responsibilities (they HAVE to rent it out asap at the same price) but they had no intention on renting it out till my lease ended.

I sent my wife in with a hidden camera for an inspection and they told her that it wouldnt be available till after the renovations were finished, which would be in feb (which is when i would have to stop paying money if noone moved in). Not to mention they were knocking down walls and taking paint of every surface so noone could have moved in anyway.

Showed them the video and they got really upset for being so "undehanded". I threatened to take them to every governement body that has anything to do with real estate agents including their head office.

They tried to take my bond as well for cleaning costs even though i'd paid a bond cleaner AND as soon as I moved out they ripped down all the walls and ceilings anyway.

As they didnt have a leg to stand on they gave me back my bond and the rent "owed" (i stopped paying rent when i realised they were doing renos) but i didnt get the 6 weeks of rent that i'd already paid. Really wish i'd taken them to court over it but it was exhausting even getting the bond back.

The current real estate (who has been great ) tried to pull a sneaky on me the other day for the water bill. Legally I dont have to pay it but I agree with paying what we use so dont have a problem. Our first water bill inlcuded a month whilst we werent there and when we moved in we had to get a heap of taps fixed. After a small argument she agreed to let me just pay for the time i was actually living here.

I dont really trust real estate agents. They work solely for the house owner and never the other way round.

ekul said:
I dont really trust real estate agents. They work solely for the house owner and never the other way round.
I agree with everything you said that I removed (for ease of reading only)

Real estate Agents have to work for their landlords. Thats who pays them to do their job. Anyway, we're talking about property managers, not necessairly real estate agents, although they can be both.
For the tenants rights, there is another body. Cant remember them right now, but tenants.org.au has everything you'll ever need.

So, speaking from the other side of the rent market, I now self manage, because the agents werent doing what I was paying them for. Sometimes they just work for themselves........

ekul said:
They work solely for the house owner and never the other way round.
Well, that's the point isn't it? I own a small investment property and I wouldn't appreciate it if my agent was working for the tenant on my coin. He is there to protect my investment for my retirement.

Having said that, my agent is very efficient but also fair to the tenant. Any problems, they raise quickly with me and then we get them fixed quickly because it is in my interest to have a happy tenant. I think most agents (and owners) are like that.

For the guys saying they hate real estate agents, maybe rethink it to "I hate the way some real estate property managers are towards tennants".

Yeah, the Baron had a flat for a while and the real estate guys were pretty dickish to the tenants. They were happy when she bought the flat off them and when she sold it again, but otherwise, really dumb - everytime a tenant got a problem the Baron would try to contact them and it's amazing how long they seemed to be 'in a meeting' or 'not available'.... Anyway, as they suggest above, be polite and reasonable and have a plan for negotiating with them.

Evan.

Real estate agents are easy to deal with. First thing your going to need to do is buy an F100. Don't ask, just buy it. The shitier the better. Then go and steal a pushbike and put that in the back of the F100. Once you have done this you may need to find a few blokes who ride Harley Davidsons. They will be easy to spot as they will be the ones holding the tin of Brasso and a rag whilst standing around a bike. Sensibly approach said motorcycle rider and offer him a Winnie Red and a VB. once he accepts your gift, politely ask him where could you find a machine that can move very small items very quickly. Follow his advice in a quiet and sensible manner.

Once you have got everything together and you have checked that the pushbike tyres are pumped up, jump in the old F100 and go for a drive. If you happen to go past the real estate office press the pedal under your right foot harder and slightly veer towords the real estate office. Once you have smashed thru the front window and planted the front bumper firmly on the the front counter, grab the device you got earlier from the bike polisher and start rampantly shooting at things as you proceed to the property managers. Once in there calmly and politely tell them that the brewery is staying and there is no need to get all upset and uptight.

On your way out, grab the pushbike, since the F100 is now completely fucked, and ride to the pub and have a few de-briefing beers

Getting a bit :icon_offtopic:

stm said:
Any problems, they raise quickly with me and then we get them fixed quickly because it is in my interest to have a happy tenant. I think most agents (and owners) are like that.
My property manager certainly isn't like that. I'm the tenant, and both the owner and I have tried to get things done that either took many months longer than it should or didn't happen at all. E.g. We noticed what looked like water damage to the hall way wall that has the hot water unit on the other side. It turned out it was leaking slowly and the plumber advised the property manager that it needed to be replaced ASAP because "she's gonna blow any day now". Months later nothing had happened and it blew. It flooded the entire apartment and leaked through to next door as well.

My parents had a house they were renting out through a property manager and, again, things took far longer than they should (if they happened at all). E.g. the hot water unit was leaking quite badly (what is it with my family and hot water units?) so the tenants told the property manager who then rang mum. Mum said to get it replaced with a new one of equal capacity and preferably the same brand ASAP. Weeks later mum rang the property manager to ask why they hadn't been sent a bill. She wasn't happy when she found out the hot water unit still hadn't been done. It then took three more phone calls to the property manager and actually organising the plumber herself to get it done.

I think you got lucky with your property manager.

evanmilton said:
I rent an apartment in Nsw and the real estate wants me to remove my all grain electric brewery setup (Kal copy) from my garage . They got an electrician over to check it out and he gave it the all clear.
The real estate still claims a safety issue. Can they make me move it, I don't think they can??
My concern is they won't renew my lease if I don't cooperate.
It taken a year to build so I'm pretty disappointed about the whole affair.
Any thoughts out there?
Boxy
"A safety issue " ,is the agent happy to allow you to keep a can of mower fuel in the lockup,a bottle of turps or metho a tin of oil based paint etc.... Could be a new tenant willing to pay higher rent is sniffing around . Dunno, but this topic has got my interest,we got screwed around years ago trying to rent a house while I built ours,the crap we were told by 2 agents was, as I later discovered very underhanded and illegal .

Back