Rat Rodding

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That VW got me thinking of rat rod 2cvs.

c2cv_2_s.jpg

3800054713_2724864bed.jpg

13.jpg

32055111292_large.jpg

2559239_1422_full.jpg

1.jpg

16.jpg

24.jpg

15.jpg

I'm a fan of the Cal(ifornia) Look Beetles like this one:
img5459tonemappedbp1.jpg

Although cal-look seems to have been redefined... once upon a time it meant de-chroming and lowering. A lot of so called cal-look Beetles you see on the net now still have their chrome strips intact.

:wub: Just love this example Bonj! Be bitchin' with a chrome roof rack!

Getting excited about picking up the VW Bonj. Been asking around about motors and stuff and I think I'll be going for the 1641cc.

I'll be building it right next to the brewery where the HSV used to have pride of place. So we should be able to drink beer and BS about bugs :lol:

Chap Chap

nice thread B)

my old man's a mechanic and I too grew up the good stuff, 66 Dodge Phoenix, ? Customline, Tank Fairlanes, 64 and 62 Compacts, 2 Vauxhall Crestas, one of which was raced as a stock car.

he's done a few V6 conversions, one being an FX Ute .

I've got a Rambler Rebel that i'll probably never get time to start but there's always retirement for that i suppose :lol:

cheers

Dave

And then I see this example :)

8213v2.jpg

8226v1.jpg

Bring on the weekend!!!
that one was built by the boys at cbb (custom bugs and buses) it would have to be one of the cleanest examples ive seen in a while also its been engineered.
as for an engine id recommend the t4 2L. better fuel usage with more power

that one was built by the boys at cbb (custom bugs and buses) it would have to be one of the cleanest examples ive seen in a while also its been engineered.
as for an engine id recommend the t4 2L. better fuel usage with more power

Would love to see it in the flesh Barls.

Hmmm t4 2L huh? I have decided this will be a full strip down and rebuild. Work my way up from the pan. Whats the go gearboxes?

Chap Chap

type 4 (porsche 614?? and VW type 4) engines are even worse than type 1(beetle/karmann ghia/early bus engines) for burning out no.4 cylinder. Not sure if you need an adaptor plate for a type 4 to type 1 swingaxle transaxle (gearbox & diff in one box).

The VW idiot guide recommends running the rocker gaps a little loose on type 1 engines to alleviate that (they do run a little noisier.... tap tap tap tap...... but they run cooler). For a daily driver, I'd recommend against a type 4 engine in an early Beetle.

It's no rad rod, but that blue and white dub is a very nice little number.

More photos, this thread is good!!!

Cheers SJ

I think I have settled on something very simular to this but the original grey colour and the second colour and matt black over. Talking to Sav PPG have a matt clear that is UV stable and sounds the business. Prolly get Sav to give me advice on the body prep and Bonj on the all the drive line issues.

vw-beetle-sti-large_4.jpg

It just has a beautiful stance. Mags are simple and tuff. Simple uncomplicated chrome work and I just love those roof racks. I do like the 2 tone paint. Just sooo excited about this project and can't wait to get cracking.

Cheers

Chap Chap

That looks real nice Chappo.

(luggage racks will be a nice place for you to store your handbag! :ph34r: )

When do you get the VW into your garage??

Cheers SJ

Ass end shot

vw-beetle-sti-large_2.jpg

That looks real nice Chappo.

(luggage racks will be a nice place for you to store your handbag! :ph34r: )

When do you get the VW into your garage??

Cheers SJ
:lol: I refer to it as my MAN BAG! other mean brewers call it my Fag Bag!

Well all things being equal Saturday sometime. Hoping to kill two birds with one stone with hiring the car trailer. Pickup the VW and finally get my body rotissery back from a mate who has had it polluting his garage for about 2 years.

Chap Chap

Chappo...

Are you thinking of doing flames.....

Matt black with "cameleon" colour changing paint looks the ducks... Du-Pont make the original base cours, and there are heaps of different shade/colour changes. My bike goes from a purple to copper-gold, and a mate had his 900ss done with red to purple...looks awsome

Chappo...

Are you thinking of doing flames.....

Matt black with "cameleon" colour changing paint looks the ducks... Du-Pont make the original base cours, and there are heaps of different shade/colour changes. My bike goes from a purple to copper-gold, and a mate had his 900ss done with red to purple...looks awsome

Yeah I love cameleon paint. A mate had his 1999 WRX resprayed with it on a house of colours purple base. Friggin' awesome changed to reds and oranges depending on the angle of light and time of day/night. It's apparently come way down in price these days as well. I wonder how it would go under the matt clear coat? I am guessing it wouldn't work.

Not flames Stu but was thinking of my brewery name and logo to make it look old skool. Plus can you imagine me, Bonj and Browndog on a beery case swap road trip in it? Have old skool kegs on the roof racks instead luggage. A few years ago, I think it was a Chip Foose, I saw a Rat Rod esq (bit too commercial to call it a real rat) at SEMA with tiny tiny skull and cross bones in the paintwork about half a shade lighter. Looked awesome as it wasn't till you were right up to the car did you see them in under the clear.

I think the first thing I want to do is get it pulled down and see how cancer is in there.

Cheers

Chap Chap

im more german look personally heres mine.
24032009052.jpg

a 72 sbug with a 2L t4 motor conversion. it will cruise all day at 110km/h and still has enough to pull up to 130 easily.

Awesome Barls! I signed up to that forum you suggested. Got anymore photo's?

Back