1963 Vw Beetle Ground Up Restoration

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are a couple of pics of my beast chappo, just went out and took them then so she's a bit dirty at the moment :huh:

nice, you do the work yourself ?

i heard that 1800 subaru motors go well in the kombis, is it the same with these ?

cheers

Dave

Barls - Na, its more of a darker maroon colour, pretty sure that it was a cheap home job as the quality and gloss just isnt there. In photos like the ones above though it looks alright though :p

Yardy - I havent done much work to it at all, all I have done is sand back the boot and get it ready for paint along with the usual routine servicing as it gets used most weekdays and occasionally on the weekend. I personally reckon it is better to keep it running and so far that has been the case as it is very reliable. As for the suby motor? Couldnt tell ya mate

more like this then
24032009052.jpg

which is mine
if you want real power and longevity this is the motor for you
13032010116.jpg

stock kombi motor with 40mm dels on it
will pull all day and doesnt worry about hills.

the 1800 subi will fit but like all of the subi they require cutting. the above doesnt in my car.

what size motor is the kombi barls ?
the guy that told me about the 1800 sub motor fitting straight in said that a lot of the kombi owners preferred the sub over the kombi because of the reliability and mileage, apparently over 300,00 reported from some motors, he was a bit of a spun out old hippy though so some facts could've been distorted by the years :D

sorry for the hi-jack chappo

its the 2 Litre version.
in the kombi its a different story there is a shit tin of room in that engine bay, its like the old land rovers

13B rotary is king in the vw beetle,

VW transaxles are known for being strong,,,a modded one can even handle a V8 :super:

Nice one C_west. She's a beaut. Got any future plans?

Barls love your car mate. Was it much work to drop the 2lt in? What was needed to be modded?

I'm heading over to Mick Motors today and start sourcing some new parts for the front end, suspension, brakes and wheels. Also want to completely refurbish the gearbox. Pan looks to be in great shape with no dings or rust so I should be thankful there. Also all the pillars seem to be totally solid and I detect fish oil slag everywhere so I am guessing previous owners where pretty diligent with some sort of maintenance.

I wish mine was on the road but alas it will be at least 12 months before that ever happens (realistically prolly 2 years). I did a bit more to Bertie last night more tearing down that fixing up.

Thanx Stu for the tip but I'll probably trailer Bertie over to a mate who has a smash repair shop and put him on his chassis straightener and see if we pull him back into alignment. Won't cost me anything but a few beers and some jokes.

gallery_9761_624_94247.jpg

Loving this thread, :D . I'm on the hunt for a Kombi late 70's bay to satisfy my midlfe crisis. Everything I've seen so far has convinced me I need to learn how to weld.

Loving this thread, :D . I'm on the hunt for a Kombi late 70's bay to satisfy my midlfe crisis. Everything I've seen so far has convinced me I need to learn how to weld.
it wasnt much for my car apart from cooling system conversion from pancake to upright. i think the early 6v need some metal in the bell housing removed for clearance to the fly wheel.

how serious about the bay grant and what price range?

Also loving this thread!!

First VW was a semi automatic circa 1960-70 something - Got my P plates with it in 1979

Them onto a white "superbug", the whole shebang, curved windscreen, 1600 motor, white, added Alpine cassete/radio and EQ (VW were great for sound -speakers on a board under the back window . . .

Next a mustard superbud with the fancy 4 way exhaust. Sounded filthy, transferred all the alpine across to that one.

Loved them all, still pine for one now..

Keep sending updates Chappo, am insanely jealous - both in therms of your new acquisition, and abily to restore . . .This coming from a complete tool tard!

Cheers
Bruce

Thanx Stu for the tip but I'll probably trailer Bertie over to a mate who has a smash repair shop and put him on his chassis straightener and see if we pull him back into alignment. Won't cost me anything but a few beers and some jokes.

gallery_9761_624_94247.jpg

yep..thats the best way, you might get a shock when you measure it up for square...those old cars where never perfect with regard to being square..If you can, find an original workshop manual, that will detail all the measurments and angles you need

One good thing is that they are made solid, so can be pulled back into shape

Panel bangers can be brutal at times, but a chassis straightener will save a shit load of hassle...

You may need to put the guards back on so that they stretch with the body

it wasnt much for my car apart from cooling system conversion from pancake to upright. i think the early 6v need some metal in the bell housing removed for clearance to the fly wheel.

how serious about the bay grant and what price range?

Definitely serious but not yet in a rush - the budget was around $5-10k but will have to move that up a bit based on what I've seen so far. I want something running well and fairly straight.

You got any leads?

not at the moment but ill keep my eye out. We have a show coming up in may

yep..thats the best way, you might get a shock when you measure it up for square...those old cars where never perfect with regard to being square..If you can, find an original workshop manual, that will detail all the measurments and angles you need

One good thing is that they are made solid, so can be pulled back into shape

Panel bangers can be brutal at times, but a chassis straightener will save a shit load of hassle...

You may need to put the guards back on so that they stretch with the body

Yeah we measured up roughly but I should get a good fix on the situation when I separate the body from the pan hopefully tomorrow. I am planning on trying to get two newish (re 2nd hand good metal) guards for the front. I reckon I dolly the back ones out enough to come good.

Yeah I am going to delay the chassis straightening till I have the pan out and basically it's a rolling chassis.

@ Barls where a good place to source gear? Mick's Motors?

Chap Chap

nicks is good. The old man deals with them. It also depends what your after. Sending you a pm with my number

There's one of a similar vintage sitting in a farm shed here in Kin Kin, looks in nice shape as well.

Batz

Latest posts

Back