1963 Vw Beetle Ground Up Restoration

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chappo1970

Piss off or Buy Me A Beer
Reaction score
Well I have "Bertie" here at Chappo manor and will start the restoration of him over Easter. I plan to do a full body off, ground up restoration and return him back to better than his former glory. I am still yet to finalize the over plan and design but it will definitely be a "California" style beetle and it will be slammed low low low!

Anyway I hope you get something out of this brewers?

Well this the way we found him in the shed... well out the back of the shed under a mangoe tree

This Bonj the bloke who donated Bertie to the project (Thank mate!)

Has about 7 years of dust covering him

This is the engine bay after a blast with the gernie... surprizingly in good nick considering the time it was in the weather

Here's a shot of the interior which is in awesome nick for a 47yr old car

A front on shot after a tub

I turn around for a second and some asshole stole the motor?? :lol:

Looks like the bonnet was full of bog and once the water got under it has nearly rusted the panel out

An arty shot...

The last project car

Chap Chap

looks good mate keep it coming.

Ah, the memories. Great.

My very first car was a 1963 Beetle, in Polar White, very similar to this one.
The interior is the same, as I recall.

Will keep an eye on this thread, as I also have a 1963 Beetle, however mine runs pretty well as I use it to get to work most days of the week :D

As discussed with Chappo, personally I would like to see the "rat bug" with a slant 6 bolted to the trans-axle as the power source :)

Will keep an eye on this thread, as I also have a 1963 Beetle, however mine runs pretty well as I use it to get to work most days of the week :D

Post a picture up I would very interested to see your beetle C West.

As discussed with Chappo, personally I would like to see the "rat bug" with a slant 6 bolted to the trans-axle as the power source :)

Stop it Duke you are gunna get me in trouble :) .

I feel like he hasn't left the family :D

A little progress this afternoon...

Front Left look s ok one little rust spot that will need to be cut.

gallery_9761_624_23130.jpg

Pann looks good....
gallery_9761_624_94247.jpg

Yes yes I knoew RAT ROD!!!!

gallery_9761_624_38424.jpg

gallery_9761_624_119305.jpg

Slight need of attention...

gallery_9761_624_133520.jpg

Cancer got the best of this buard looks like I'll have to source a new one

gallery_9761_624_50192.jpg

A bit of cancer

gallery_9761_624_30530.jpg

Interior coming out

gallery_9761_624_100943.jpg

Cheers

Chap Chap

Is that the fender or the front apron with the cancer, Chap Chap? That front apron has been pretty dodgy for a fair while. Beware that the aftermarket fenders made in Mexico have a reputation for being very thin and taking damage from rocks on the road. Try and get an original thick fender if you can.

Bonj to be honest the front has taken a big big hit mate. I'm thinking I'll prolly have to cut and shut a few panels to make this happen. Dad and I measuring wheel to arch we have something like 23mm of warp. I sure we can can get him back just need a big hammer :eek: . Agreed mate no mex tin just need to find good panels. :)

Yeah I knew he'd taken a thump some time before I got him. The bloke at slacks creek reckoned either cut and shut, or pulling the front end back out. Not sure how he'd go about that though.

Shall do Bonj. A mate of my Little Bro's called in today. He has a spare (and Cheap) 12A rotary. Soooooo tempting :rolleyes: :D

Small enerpac ought straighten the front out.

Cancer is small - bloody hell if the projects I've taken on only had such little tin worm. My last project had us pulling bread, chicken wire, newspaper, bog and fibreglass from down along the A pillar. A lot of metal had to be reformed and my panel beater got very familiar with his pnematic hammer and english wheel recreating panels not in the rare spares catalogue.

Good luck with it! Dunno that I'd be putting a rotary in there. Rotarys are a bitch at the best of times let alone in a bug. All sounds like too much work to me.

a stock 2L Type 4 with dells. you wont be disappointed. mines a monster

Bonj to be honest the front has taken a big big hit mate. I'm thinking I'll prolly have to cut and shut a few panels to make this happen. Dad and I measuring wheel to arch we have something like 23mm of warp. I sure we can can get him back just need a big hammer :eek: . Agreed mate no mex tin just need to find good panels. :)

Dont bash it out, you are better to pull it out, basically you need to find some way of anchoring the car ( like a big tree ) , use big wide flat straps, C seatbelts are ideal ) then get a heavy duty come-along, more seatbelts, and slowly stretch it into shape. thats what the panel bangers do. Nice and slowm might take some time, and several different directions but it should pull square

Here are a couple of pics of my beast chappo, just went out and took them then so she's a bit dirty at the moment :huh:

DSC_0137.JPG

DSC_0138.JPG

DSC_0139.JPG

DSC_0140.JPG

DSC_0142.JPG

Here are a couple of pics of my beast chappo, just went out and took them then so she's a bit dirty at the moment :huh:
nice mate is it candy apple red?

Latest posts

Back