1963 Vw Beetle Ground Up Restoration

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had 5 Baja bugs a convertible Bug some standard ones two Kombi's and a type3 wagon....... yep i like VW's

In the Baja's i ended up sticking with a slightly mod'ed 1600(subi motors sump hang down to far) as its easy to look after and i didnt bugga the gear box(they are not much fun to rebuild)

in a Kombi (i would love to get a Dual cab syncro would be even better) i noticed on youtube a Subi H6 engine in one....now thats one step better than the old Rover V8 in there :lol:

Ok time for an update...

Body is now off the pan. Hoping to get more done tomorrow and maybe a brew?

More disassembly

Interior out

Steering Wheel and instruments out

Motor out (Looks like some rats made it their home at some stage)

Wee little gearbox

Just before removing the 10,000 bolts that hold the body on

Parting body from the chassis/pan

Off the pan now to put the body on the body trolley

All apart now

Manky pan/chassis with about 47 years for road grime plastered all over it

All apart

great photos Chappo :D I'm enjoying watching Bertie's makeover.

After two hours with the pressure washer and 8 cans of degreaser

Cleaner but will have another go at it tomorrow

Pans are looking good only a little surface rust

Gearbox needs more attention to clean it up better

Body really is in great nick for a 47 year old car

My '63 Beetle sedan was 2 years old when I bought it. A lovely chocolate colour it was & served me faithfully for 6 years or so when I upgraded to a bigger motor. With no fuel gauge available that spare gallon of fuel (You flicked a lever with your foot when the main tank ran dry) saved my bacon on a few occasions. :)
Someone fitted a propeller to one in the late '60's\early '70's & drove it across Sydney Harbour without any hassles so there's nothing to stop you going for a quick burn up & down the Logan mate. :p
Looking forward to getting a ride in the finished product Chap Chap. :icon_cheers: Comfortable sex in a veedub requires lots of practise & multiple contortions. :ph34r:

TP

Sorry to be pedantic here Pete, but '63 was the first year of the fuel gauge as standard, so yours must have been an older model. Perhaps a '62? You're right about the room in the back seat! :icon_chickcheers:

edit: spelling

Not that there were many differences between years. I remember seeing an old magazine ad for the '64 model: "How to make your '54 look like a '64: Paint it!" They had new colours available in '64. :lol:

Ok bit of an update from last weekend...

gallery_9761_624_20296.jpg

Decided this is roughly what I am aiming for...

Pan in the brewery so I pimp the VW and brew a beer to get thru the winter evenings :)

Aslo convienent to have the taps close by...

Cheers
Chap Chap

Looking good Chap Chap, I like the concept/design your aiming for. Low, clean, nice colour choices. Keep up the good work (and the photos!!)

Cheers SJ

Ah the memories you bring back Chap Chap. I did the same about 20 years ago. Custom interior in nice wine patterned red vinyle with a red velour and white trim. New headliner in the velour and sunroof. Yes the memories, like then an industrial sewing machine needle went right though my thumb :p and all the other cuts, scrapes and dings working on old cars.

But it was a blast at the time!

Enjoy the rebuild.

Seeing how its the same porsche frame you could rebuild it into a James Dean porsche no? :p

Is that Chap Chap behind the wheel?
james_dean_porsche_spyder.jpg

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Ok bit of an update from last weekend...

gallery_9761_624_20296.jpg

Decided this is roughly what I am aiming for...

Pan in the brewery so I pimp the VW and brew a beer to get thru the winter evenings :)

Aslo convienent to have the taps close by...

Cheers
Chap Chap

Nice med silver on the side and 2pack matt clear black on the top,I seen a lotus and lambo in KLin matt clear it looks the goods,goin hard chappo, Are you getting it san blasted.

Nice med silver on the side and 2pack matt clear black on the top,I seen a lotus and lambo in KLin matt clear it looks the goods,goin hard chappo, Are you getting it san blasted.

You are man after me own heart Sav. Matt finish all over would be great!

Yeah once I cut the battery side pan out and re=weld some new tin in the whole little critter is off the be soda blasted back to bare metal then rebuild like a mad man

I've been thinking, TidalPete, and I think you could be correct that your Beetle was a '63 too.... VW was notorious for just implementing changes any time they felt like it and not for specific model years like other manufacturers (The change to the square rear window from the oval window happened some time mid 1957). The Beetle Chappo is working on was built on the 18th October 1963 in VW's Clayton Victoria plant. Your '63 could well have been produced early in 1963. All I do know is that 1963 was the year they introduced the fuel gauge as standard and as a result, removed the reserve fuel lever.

Enjoying the thread Chappo.
Cheers
Steve

This thread really makes me want to get the 66? beetle sitting on the old mans farm and turn it into a thing of beauty. Only major problem I have noticed in it is the battery must have leaked and rusted itself through the pan...looked under the car one day to see the battery on the ground...hmmmm...

One day...one day..

This thread really makes me want to get the 66? beetle sitting on the old mans farm and turn it into a thing of beauty. Only major problem I have noticed in it is the battery must have leaked and rusted itself through the pan...looked under the car one day to see the battery on the ground...hmmmm...

One day...one day..
That's a very common problem with Beetles. You can see the damage in the photos of the pan from the same thing happening to Chappo's. When I was looking around just before I bought this one, I saw some shockers. One I saw had glued a new floor in with silicone! :eek:

Back