Rat Rodding

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks like ze Germans are listening and looking to knock out their own chopped version of the beetle

Roof is chopped and red stripe on the tyres is nice., otherwise it a bit of a bland concept.

(unfortunately the gear knob looks a bit suspect! :ph34r: )

Cheers SJ

vw_wallpaper_06.jpg

Very noice! Wonder where I can get a tear drop caravan from?
That's a nice one! Too low for a daily driver though! One pothole and your front apron is history.

Would you be considering airbags Chap Chap? or just get it slammed nice and low, but still somewhat practical??

Personally as cool as airbagsa can look when slammed down at a show, i reckon a good tuff low 'fixed' stance wins every day!

Cheers SJ

Would you be considering airbags Chap Chap? or just get it slammed nice and low, but still somewhat practical??

Personally as cool as airbagsa can look when slammed down at a show, i reckon a good tuff low 'fixed' stance wins every day!

Cheers SJ

Totally agree SJ.

For what I have seen on a very small lurk on some of the VW sites. The VW's IRS's are like the dunnydores to me, in other words, the lower she squats the bigger the camber on the wheels which I don't like as it starts to look riddiculous and you root the handling. I am thinking however a body drop plus slamm the shyte out of it but have the airbags to get it up to a happy shopping centre speed hump height? Not to sure how much room I have under her but I guess I'll find out.

Totally agree SJ.

For what I have seen on a very small lurk on some of the VW sites. The VW's IRS's are like the dunnydores to me, in other words, the lower she squats the bigger the camber on the wheels which I don't like as it starts to look riddiculous and you root the handling. I am thinking however a body drop plus slamm the shyte out of it but have the airbags to get it up to a happy shopping centre speed hump height? Not to sure how much room I have under her but I guess I'll find out.
Not sure if the IRS's do that too, but the swingaxles sure do. Your '63 is definitely a swingaxle.

Not sure if the IRS's do that too, but the swingaxles sure do. Your '63 is definitely a swingaxle.

I really really really need to pick your brains over all this Bonj! I need to get into my thick head the best power train options (Motor & Gear Box), Suspension and brakes options and electricals. BABBS is a bad place as too much else is going on.

But where will the girls fit Chappo?

Oh I'll make them fit alright... :)

Well thanks to the very kind generosity of Bonj I am now the custodian "Bertie" a 1963 VW Beetle. Whilst he is no oil painting he has solid bones and will scrub and paint up nicely. I'll post up some photo's of him tonight in a new thread so those who might be interested can see the transformation. I will theming him around brewing of course :p . I am on the scrounge for nostalgia circa 1960's brew ware and kegs.

Cheers

Chap Chap

type 4 (porsche 614?? and VW type 4) engines are even worse than type 1(beetle/karmann ghia/early bus engines) for burning out no.4 cylinder. Not sure if you need an adaptor plate for a type 4 to type 1 swingaxle transaxle (gearbox & diff in one box).

The VW idiot guide recommends running the rocker gaps a little loose on type 1 engines to alleviate that (they do run a little noisier.... tap tap tap tap...... but they run cooler). For a daily driver, I'd recommend against a type 4 engine in an early Beetle.
actually the type four motor was the evolution from the type 1 incorporating full flow oil system, thicker and stronger case, different flowing heads and enabling a bigger size with more power.
as for me id like to see someone with a type one base motor do this.

the swing axles do tuck and get obscene camber as you lower them. its a hard one to recommend a drive train and motor as it depends on how you drive.
if you ask over on the vw forum you probably will get 17 different answers, all good options but there is only one that will work exactly as you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back