Rat Rodding

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chappo1970

Piss off or Buy Me A Beer
Reaction score
I have done up several old school cars now the last one was a HR Station wagon. Converted into a Woody.

Anyway....

My next project just jumped out of no where and I am contemplating building a Rat Rod. Although I haven't discussed my desires with the person donating the car. I have a mates Father who has done 2 hot rods and has the third being built now. Having been to a fare few car shows I seem to always fall inlove the Rat Rods on display.

Anyway trawling the intermernet for inspiration I have come across these for ideas... (Guess what the doner car is?)

Wondering if anyone else on the forum is into this type of build?

Cheers

Chap Chap

0405vwt_11z_Volkswagen_Beetle_Top_Passenger_Side_View.jpg

2484907725_7378123b06.jpg

heb4.jpg

vw_street_rod_by_hugosilva.jpg

my71VW1.jpg

0405vwt_12z_Volkswagen_Beetle_Driver_Side.jpg

You get it ready and Ill paint it for ya chap,

Nice Chappo.

Love the look of rat rods, the vee-dub ones look pretty nice too.

That last pic you posted would look killer with a matt black paint job and a red wheel/whitewalls combo's (a touch cliche but a proven winner!!).

My presonal fav's are the rad rod trucks:

Jays_Rat_Rod_small.jpg

Cheers SJ

Nice Chappo.

Love the look of rat rods, the vee-dub ones look pretty nice too.

That last pic you posted would look killer with a matt black paint job and a red wheel/whitewalls combo's (a touch cliche but a proven winner!!).

My presonal fav's are the rad rod trucks:

Cheers SJ

Yeah SJ that's my favourite one so far. But I agree needs/must have the red wheels and white walls also Matt Black paint. I don't think it's cliche to be honest more true to style. AFAIK the Rat Rod style is tuff, unfinished, no chrome, stereo's (Duf Dufs) and be very edgy IMO.

WIKI DEFINITION: Originally a counter-reaction to the traditional hot rod, a label recently applied to undriven cars and super high priced "customs". The rat rod's beginning was a throwback to the hot rods of the earlier days of hot-rodding, built to the best of the owner's abilities and meant to be driven. Rat rods are meant to loosely imitate in form and function, the "traditional" hot rods of the era. Biker, greaser, rockabilly, and punk culture is often credited as influence that shapes rat-rodding.

The typical rat rod (an early 1930s through 1950s coupe or roadster): Early (pre-World War II) vehicles often have their fenders, hoods, running boards, and bumpers removed. The bodies are frequently channeled over the frame, and sectioned, or the roofs chopped for a lower profile. Later post-war vehicles are rarely constructed without fenders and are often customized in the fashion of Kustoms, leadsleds, and lowriders. Maltese crosses, skulls, and other accessories are often added. Chopped tops, shaved trim, grills, tail lights, and other miscellaneous body parts are swapped between makes and models. Most, if not all of the work and engineering is done by the owner of the vehicle.

I just reckon this style of car suits the Homebrewer. Just need to look at our different brew rigs to get the idea.

Chap Chap

Street rodder here. I apprecate the work that goes in to rats just not my scene.

My old man has a HQ SS in lettuce alone green, HQ monaro coupe with a mildly worked 308 and an FC ute which he is looking to put a 186 with a hairdryer bolted to a celica 5 speed into.

My brother has a HG prem sedan white over a golden brown colour and my old man is doing up a wagon in the same colour scheme with a trimatic bolted to a 2fluffy3 for my brother inlaw as a supprise.

The monaro coupe was mine I bought it when I lost my licence (I got caught going a bit quick - 180 in an 80 zone. I had to get around on two feet and a heart beat for 15 months) but after having some serious issue with getting it registered I cracked the shits and gave it to dad (in turn he paid the deposit on my house though!)

Always grown up around cars. Dad always had "different" cars when he was younger and was the secretary for the BMW drivers club victoria for a few years in the early-mid 80s. He then got into family cars for a while then got back into street toys when he turned 40. In the last 15 years though he has played with a few toys. I guess now he can afford to now that we've all left home.

im more german look personally heres mine.
24032009052.jpg

a 72 sbug with a 2L t4 motor conversion. it will cruise all day at 110km/h and still has enough to pull up to 130 easily.

I just reckon this style of car suits the Homebrewer. Just need to look at our different brew rigs to get the idea.

Chap Chap

So the Rat Rod is the automotive equivalent of a IIPA for sheer in your face awesomeness???? I like!

Cheers SJ

(btw, Chap Chap, throw up some pics of your previous, non-sherman projects!)

Yep...Hot Rodder here

I already have my morry thou ute...would louve a 32/34 chev wagon... or a 32 lidless coupe...Black of course with a fat blown V8

I have done up several old school cars now the last one was a HR Station wagon. Converted into a Woody.

Anyway....

My next project just jumped out of no where and I am contemplating building a Rat Rod. Although I haven't discussed my desires with the person donating the car. I have a mates Father who has done 2 hot rods and has the third being built now. Having been to a fare few car shows I seem to always fall inlove the Rat Rods on display.

Anyway trawling the intermernet for inspiration I have come across these for ideas... (Guess what the doner car is?)

Wondering if anyone else on the forum is into this type of build?

Cheers

Chap Chap
Sweet looking Dak-daks. I'm in the process of ratting my Excel. Will let you know how I go.

Street Machiner here, but have always loved the rods! Got up to Wintersun last year and regularly attend John's Picnic down here.

Family owns 6 EH's, couple of Torana's, a mustang etc

So the Rat Rod is the automotive equivalent of a IIPA for sheer in your face awesomeness???? I like!

Cheers SJ

(btw, Chap Chap, throw up some pics of your previous, non-sherman projects!)

Shall do SJ when I am back home in god's country.

The more I think about this project the more keen I get.

while i love the look of the rats, im a kingswood type of person myself. my ride is a 25 anniversary hq prem. i have pulled the 202 and dropped a253 in there (several actually). have another car for daily duties now so looking at the black 308 ive got spare or a chev motor my mates giving me for nix. decisions eh.between that and home brew i think ill be broke for life

Chap I have got got details on the new clear that has been released by PPG it is a matt 2 pack clear coat(polyurethane) ,so that means its UV rated and u can do do any colour( base coat, metallic,solid,candy,3 layer,) in matt.
I have heard if you use like a fine satin silver with the matt clear its like aluminium or ss,I will give the brewery a once over before I like it or not,joys of being a painter.

Another Street Machiner, but love all modified cars - I work for FPV in engine design, so love my job, but it does tend to push me further than the wallet stretches.....

Mmm..Subaru donk in the Dak-dak would certainly make it a sleeper...

Yep, thought I had a shot of a rat rod mini somewhere. They do look great.

But if ever I build another mini I would do a ute or a roadster. With a Toyota turbo starlet motor.

mini007.jpg

mini_speedster_minispeed_face.jpg

mini_speedster_minispeed_face2.jpg

mini_speedster_minispeed_front.jpg

Latest posts

Back