NPT vs BSP thread type in a new set-up

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frothie said:
You'll quickly go broke using SS compression fittings! This is one area where my tight arsedness led me to use brass/copper and an olive compression fitting. Cheaply sourced from the big green shed.
Haha, I think so. Early bets indicate that the one female compassion fitting is going to be more expensive than the rest of the bulk head, tap, and qd fittings for the hose combined!

Mick.

mofox1 said:
Thanks Wes, not sure how I missed that when I looked them up earlier. :huh:

Have you purchased from them before?

All good for taps and chassis punches, stumbled across a gold mine in a future brother in law.

Mick.
We use both companies and have bought a lot of stuff from T&S Stainless. Good prices and quality.

Wes

Connor Breware sell a compression to female fitting, but it's NPT

http://connorbreware.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=64_97&product_id=194

They also sell a combination compression/bulkhead fitting which I've used on my pots; essentially a single fitting which I can attach a pickup tube to internally, and a ball valve outside (NPT also)

http://connorbreware.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=64_94&product_id=184

Apologies if the links don't work, I'm working off my mobile.

Cheers

Baz

Ooo, that bulkhead to compression is slick. I've had the very bulky female to female sleeve setup for my pickup tube and finally dumped the whole setup. I may have another go with this fitting. Thanks!!!

Definite "no go" for the female BSP compression fittings.

TS came back with $40, Geordi was $50.

In the other hand, Geordi said they would be able to source a BSP equivalent to the drool factor NPT bulkhead from Connor Breware.

Don't have prices yet....

Cheers.

Mardoo said:
Love to hear what that price is.
So would I. When I mentioned that I could get the NPT fitting for a lobster, he said there was no way they could supply compression fittings for that price.

Looks like Connor's it is - thanks Baz!

Cheers,
Mick

TheWiggman said:
I haven't even seen a female compression fitting mofox1. Normal practice is the use a female-female coupling on a male fitting to acheive the same result.
If you really want the female fitting, I'd see Pirtek, Bosch Rexroth or a similar hydraulic supplier. Be prepared to pay about $45 for a single fitting (unless you have a business account).

Ed: actually, normal practice is to configre your system so a female fitting is not required.
Not sure what industry you work in Wiggman, but female compression fittings are used extensively in the gas, oil and petrochemical industry. Nearly always Swagelok which are NPT.

Yep, got that very bulkhead compression fitting from Connor along with the keg deal. They are awesome.

Mine processing (mill and crushing lubrication systems) and mobile mining equipment is my experience with hydraulics. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough and they are out there, but male are the norm because when you machine into a hydraulic block you'll always tap out a hole into it for a lube line. For mill lube systems it's no different.
I haven't head of Swagelok prior to you mentioning it. From what I can see they're a brand who employ the common hydraulic compression fitting. There are a number of companies that will fit a 12.7mm pipe.
Maybe I took the BSP thing with a grain of salt because all Standard water fittings in Aus are BSP. As are the fittings on brew sites. I'd bet the US gear on site though probably has NPT if you're saying it's common in petrochemical.

Swagelock... That was it. Pretty much all we used for the gas sampling lines.

I'm in a completely different industry to that job now. To the detriment of my rig build too!

Mick.

Swagelok brand fittings are probably the most used fittings in the petro/gas industry in Australia and all over the world. Extremely high quality and expensive, US made I believe.
Mainly used on instrumentation lines such as impulse lines, gas sampling lines etc.
Also seen them used in power stations, large breweries and paper mills.

spudfarmerboy said:
Swagelok brand fittings are probably the most used fittings in the petro/gas industry in Australia and all over the world. Extremely high quality and expensive, US made I believe.
Mainly used on instrumentation lines such as impulse lines, gas sampling lines etc.
Also seen them used in power stations, large breweries and paper mills.
if you buy them you agree not to on sell them to Sudan, Iran or anyone else who won't do as they are told.

Done.

Bulkheads from Connor Breware.
3 piece (kettle) and 2 piece (HLT) coming too.
Cam locks and pickup tubes will be ordered shortly.

Then it's off to Keg King for the miscellanea (tubes, clamps, spare O's, pump, refractometer, thermometer.. oh god help me).

Thanks all for the help! :)

Mick.

I would just go with BSP....its widely available, std in Australia, and you can find fittings anyware, you can swap with your friends, heaps of fittings that brewers use are BSP...

And they work perfectly well

And at the end of the day....fancy fittings wont help you make better beer.....

This is an awesome thread (pun not intended but gratefully accepted). One of those little details I've been meaning to wrap my head around. Thanks guys!

I work with this stuff all the time and I can tell you now that bsp is a 55° whitworth thread and npt a 60° . The roots and crests are totally different on both and not good practice to try and match them. Silly in fact. Do it right and do it once.
bsp is prevalent in Australia and npt is common in the USA. Bsp is readily available to you everywhere including Bunnings. You will find our brew stores stock alot of bsp fittings. BSPP(Parallel) are designed to seal with a dowdy seal, o-ring, or washer, not thread tape or thread sealant of any kind. I know folks have the best intentions, but please, do a proper job and you will not regret it.
If you are going to use stainless fittings excluding swagelok, I recommend using stainless teflon thread tape as this will stop gawling. All your other bsp fittings just use normal thread tape.
others have mentioned camlock fittings, they are great and I use them myself and are easy to connect and remove.

Good luck with your brewing ventures

Hawko777 said:
I work with this stuff all the time and I can tell you now that bsp is a 55° whitworth thread and npt a 60° . The roots and crests are totally different on both and not good practice to try and match them. Silly in fact. Do it right and do it once.
bsp is prevalent in Australia and npt is common in the USA. Bsp is readily available to you everywhere including Bunnings. You will find our brew stores stock alot of bsp fittings. BSPP(Parallel) are designed to seal with a dowdy seal, o-ring, or washer, not thread tape or thread sealant of any kind. I know folks have the best intentions, but please, do a proper job and you will not regret it.
If you are going to use stainless fittings excluding swagelok, I recommend using stainless teflon thread tape as this will stop gawling. All your other bsp fittings just use normal thread tape.
others have mentioned camlock fittings, they are great and I use them myself and are easy to connect and remove.

Good luck with your brewing ventures
What is this dark magic you speak of?

Back